Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    While taking a new look at the bags I noticed some new closing systems:
    http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml
    Zipper Options:

Option 1) By default the sleeping bag will have a 3/4 length zipper on the bottom. The normal zipper has a pull tab on the inside and the outside. $0

Option 2) A separating zipper can be used to zip two sleeping bags together. The separating zippers we have are 56" long (roughly 3/4 length) and they only have a pull tab on the outside, so you need to reach outside the bag to unzip it. Any two bags can be zipped together, for example a long and a short. This option includes draft tubes over the zippers, since one of the zippers will be at the top center and the other at the bottom center when zipped together. $20

Option 3) Instead of a zipper, 3 evenly spaced sets of loops can be added to secure the bottom with elastic straps. This is not as convenient or as tight a closure as a zipper but it is a little lighter and the straps can be taken off entirely. 3 detachable elastic straps and clips are included and they weigh .2 oz (6 grams) compared to .6 ounces (17 grams) for a zipper. $0

Option 4) The bag can be sewn all the way up rather than have a closure system. You would get in and out through the top. If you sew up the bag you lose the versatility of opening it up when it is warm out, but it drops about .6 ounces (17 grams) of zipper weight. $0

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Yeti 20* UQ
    This is also my number 1 choice at the moment - moving from SB. What are the +/- of zipper vs elastic straps? Would use 95% in hammock, but would want ability to go to ground

Hammock
    WBBB/UL BMB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So Oskar, have you bought one of these?

It's top of my list at the moment, but I'm waiting to hear from anyone who has used it in the hammock and on the ground. My quandary's are around what width I should order to suit both uses and what temp to go for. Currently thinking regular long 30f (I'm pretty lean, 6'1" and 155 pounds) but be nice to hear reports...

Michael

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Okay, so I've only hung three times but I use an open sleeping bag as my top quilt and have had no issues. I find it confortable and I have never felt the zipper. I have also never noticed any indications of it catching on the hammock or netting so as money is an issue for me, I will continue with this choice. This is good for me because I also have a qsleeping bag when I tent camp with my family! I admit it's a pound heavier than your all talking about but I can handle a pound without cryin' so it's a win / win for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12