Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Question Potomac on HH question(s)

Hey all,

Looks like the HH section has been a bit slow. So, I thought I would ask a question. I realize this could go in the Arrowhead forum too but since we aren't doin' much here thought I would post it here. I also put it here since I am looking for experience with this UQ on HH's.

I have been looking around for a UQ, I think I would like a full length. As such I have been looking at the Potomac from KAQ I was wondering what your experiences have been on the following items.

1. What is the lowest you have been in it comfortably without the extra insulation added, and or with the insulation added Please specify which yours was made.

2. Initial setup observations and normal issues getting it set on your HH, let us know which HH you put it on too.

3. Give me your general up down thoughts on it. What was good, what was bad or could have been better.

4. How does it work in and around the 45-50 degree range? Is it to much? Can you vent it well enough to use it at those temps?

5. How well does this go from an expedition to an explorer or even a double bottom Jungle if you have experience with it. I am guessing it doesn't work with the Safari but if you have tried it let me know how that went too. (Still trying to decide which HH will be my next purchased hammock.)

I know there are other UQ's out there but to keep the discussion on topic please just give me thoughts on the Potomac or a DIY copy would work too.

Thanks guys I appreciate your input here

huauqui

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Nice post. Will be watching intently. Just got my Potomac in the mail yesterday and won't be able to try if for a week or so. Working nite shift this week. Will be using it on my Expedition. The insulation don't seem very thick, but I have been reading up on the Climashield that they put in it. Sounds like a great insulating product. I didn't know before what was in it, my interest in the Potomac was because it was designed to go on the HH hammocks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL / WB Edge/SF
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've used mine with a HH Expedition in the 40's and it was fine. I slept in my clothes with a 3 season sleeping bag for a TQ and was perfectly snug. My clothes were tshirt and sweater and jeans (not particularly insulating) I did get a cold spot near my right shoulder on the first night where there was a gap but a little adjusting fixed it for the next night. I didn't need to vent it at any point but it can be done with a single cord lock on shock cord on each end.

Set up was pretty easy when I worked out which bit of shock cord worked for the ends and sides. I cinched the ends right up and slightly tightened the sides. It took me about 30 minutes to get it where I wanted it and apart from a little adjustment the next night I didn't need to adjust again. I had no need to change the settings between setups, it is just a matter of unclipping the end biners to take down.

It doesn't pack down a small as some down quilts I've seen but it's fine for my needs, YMMV. If I was aiming for pack size I wouldn't have got a full length synthetic.

Entry and exit was a little awkward on the traditional bottom entry HH. Entry is a matter of pushing it to one side just enough to show the entry gap, backing in then grabbing the UQ through the hammock material to get it in the right position. I found exit to be a more awkward than entry because you have to sit up in the hammock, locate the exit then try and pull the quilt to one side so you can get your feet out.

I have a HH Expedition but I have not tried it with the Potomac. I switched to a WBBB shortly after receiving my Potomac and can report that it fits perfectly. I used a couple of Arrowhead triangle thingies that I attached directly to the grosgrain corner loops on the Potomac and I swear it fits on my WBBB better than it did on my HH. So if you're worried about changing to a WBBB and obsoleting your Potomac, don't, I found it to be a great match. The Potomac is a lot easier to handle with a top loading hammock.

In summary, it's warm, adjustable, works with top and bottom loading hammocks, works on WBBBs as well as HHs, is well made and nicely priced. The only down side if it applies to you is the pack size. I'm very happy with mine.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/ZQ zip mod #3
    Tarp
    HH hex fly
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I've got a DIY version of the Potomac that I built for winter camping using these instructions: http://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

I built it using 2 layers of 6.0 Climashield, and it's taken me down to -2F, and as high as 40F. I haven't tried to use it above 40F. I found that I had to move the location of the tie-out points by an inch (vs the pattern) to get them in the right spot, and it doesn't quite provide full coverage width-wise on my Explorer, but it's definately wide enough to allow an asym lay. It does not pack down small, but I built it for warmth, not pack size. I'm very happy with the performance of it.

Fitting it to the hammock was fairly easy, it only took a few adjustments of the perimeter shock cord to eliminate drafts.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps

Cool Keep it coming

ScratchyBadger and nyanderson,
    Thanks for the input on the potomac. Just what I am looking for.

ScratchyBadger - thanks for the info on the WBBB fit. Always nice to know it will work well on another hammock. Any input on temperatures max and min for the stock Potomac? Thanks for the info on entry exit with a bottom load HH, hadn't thought to ask about that!

nyanderson - glad to hear your DIY model works well. I have been looking at that option for a bit later on. I need to get some time in the hammock with the UQ on before I proceed to far into the DIY. I have three great really experienced seamstresses in the family, I just need to know my own likes and dislikes before I get them to involved to make sure it doesn't run away from what I know works for me.

Keep them coming guys this is great info. Can't wait to hear more about this UQ.

huauqui

• + New Posts