Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

1/4, 1/2, 3/4 UQ suspension methods?

Ok, I was just kidding about the 1/4 UQ, although THAT would sure save weight and bulk.

How do you of the fractional UQ's suspend them? I'm very curious to know what contrivances you all have come up with regarding suspension systems... and any pictures you could provide would sure be helpful in helping me visualize.

Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I have used a length of shock cord tied to the ridge line with a Prusik knot. The ends of the shock cord are looped through the tabs at the end of my quilt and secured with a taut line hitch. This allows me to pull the quilt up with the taut line hitches and out by moving the Prusiks. Works well if you get it adjusted right, but I am looking for something easier, so I am looking forward to see other people's methods.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    For my 9/16th UQ I tried to make something a little more univeral so I can fit it to all my hammock. I also wanted to stay away from the traditional method of hooking it to the suspension of the hammock. i think that way tends to make you quilt more narrow. When I made my overcover for my bridge I played around using bra hooks, 1/4 elastic and cord locks. That worked real well for that because it is ajustable and the elastic makes it forgiving when I move around. I saw swimsuit hooks and picked them up while back knowing they would be good for something. They come 2 in a pack, one big and one small. I put in the four corners of my UQ about 15 inches fo 1/4 elastic. I just tied it to the tieout loop. On that elastic it slid on the swim suit hook and than a cord lock. Finally I tied a knot on the end to keep the cord lock from sliding off.

I have only had since Friday to play around with this and I may change some things but my initial experience has been good. I was going to put one on the center to pull the middle up, but so far I haven't found that it is needed.
    Pros: very adjustable, it pulls the UQ open, it is very light, I can adjust it from inside the hammock, It fits many different hammocks, the elastic keeps things tight but is forgiving.
    Cons: it can pop off too easily, the hook can break.

I find that the more material that it hooks onto the better it holds. It hold perfectly on my bridge with 3/8ths webbing hemmed in. I set it about 6 inches past the edge of the quilt and tight it up till it is snug against the hammock. On my zhammock it works pretty well. One time I didn't get it hooked tight and it popped off when I got in. Also there is enough material to still pull it out a couple inches from the edge of the quilt. I have found for the head I just hook it on the ridgeline of the hammock. That works real well. I had it set up on Friday night, took down the hammock and put it in the basement and then set it up again Saturday night. Then entire time everything stayed in place and I never had to remove the UQ. On my Eno type the material seems thinner and the hook doesn't grip very well. I had to be very careful getting in that the hooks at my knees didn't pop off and it is harder to pull it out so the quilt stay snug. All this wasn't too bad, but it took a little more care. I don't hike with the Eno anyhow.

I am planning on making a coffin shaped UQ next where I can both hook it to the suspension of the hammock and the swim suit hook will pull the widest part tight. I think that will work real well.

Where can I get the lightest cord lock that will still fit 1/4 elastic?
    Last edited by Dutch; 04-14-2008 at 18:04.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have a length of shockcord on each end. I tie the shockcord to the tab on one side of quilt, run shockcord thru loop on ridgeline, then thru tab on other side of quilt using a cordlock to adjust length. It is not tied to the ridgeline allowing quilt to adjust freely once the tension is set. I usually have it asym and can just move quilt with hand to fine tune.

On my Clark it has plastic loops where the cords to pull up the netting are that I thread the shockcord thru. On my DIY's I use the HH prusik cords with the small hooks attached to the ridgeline and just catch the shockcord on the hook.

I think it adjusts easier using a higher point to attach to. Many times my UQ is at or above the edge of the hammock on my head side when laying asym. If I attached to the hammock instead of the ridgeline I would not be able to adjust this high on hammock.

Images
    i have a shock cord forming one giant loop, the sc runs through drawcord channels on the sides of the uq, and i just hook the ends of the loop over the whipping. pics in gallery, not sure how well you can see this. it is really simple and efective, and allows the uq to slide on the sc, once i get comfy, i just reach out the sides of the hammock and slide it into position under me, if i slide it up past my head it vents, if i slide it down near my neck it fits snug (this is more to do with the design of the shape than the sc though).

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Those are some good ideas. I was also looking at Grizz's bridge underquilt attached with the bra hooks spaced about 1 foot apart...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Those are some good ideas. I was also looking at Grizz's bridge underquilt attached with the bra hooks spaced about 1 foot apart...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...&imageuser=423
    Works great on a bridge because you are laying inline. For a bridge I think Grizz's method is one of the best I have seen but a Speer style does not hold its shape like a bridge does and needs to be more adjustable IMO

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Works great on a bridge because you are laying inline. For a bridge I think Grizz's method is one of the best I have seen but a Speer style does not hold its shape like a bridge does and needs to be more adjustable IMO
    That's true, but I was thinking that with a much shorter UQ, there's not as much missing coverage to worry about. (Not like you're going to lose coverage at your feet if it's not lined up exactly right, since it only goes a fractional length?)

Grizz's way uses micromesh spandex on the sides, which looks like it might give you some flex for your fit.

I still like the shock cord ideas, but I'm trying to explore all the options.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hands still shaking

I'm just back from a business trip. A number of circumstances aligned so that I essentially had no internet access for 2 days. Just coming out of the D.T.s now....

On the micro-mesh thing, it's a fairly heavy solution to the problem of creating give. There's a shade over an ounce of material there (it's doubled over) not including bias tape. It looks to me like the only places where the mesh is actually providing some pull is in the region of the hooks.

So I think my "real" version with the momentum-90 I've got will try simple elastic straps, at the end of which will be the hooks to connect to the eye's already on the hammock side.

I have turned into a gram weenie. I need counseling....

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So you're talking about something like this, that Dutch was doing earlier (from his gallery):

I like the idea of attaching it much higher though, to allow for more coverage on the sides (I want it to come up high on the sides to block wind, etc.)

I'm wondering if there's some hybrid ridgeline, shock cord/hook and eye solution in here somewhere... Or maybe the best way has already been invented and is one of these solutions?
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 04-15-2008 at 08:59.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast