HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps

Frozen Head Park

Howdy! Got an invite from Roche to join him for a camp out at Frozen Head Park this weekend. Unfortunately we couldnt make it there Friday until a little after 7pm. After we got our permits filled out and down to the parking lot it was getting pretty dark. I, of course had lost my head light so I had a small flashlight clipped to my backpack.

The Friday night adventure crew consisted of Roche his dog Bailey, Sluggie and myself. About a half hour after going into the woods it was pitch black. We had a designated camping spot that we managed to not find. Luckily we were on a loop and ended back up at the parking lot. Night time hiking merit badge!(check) Roche had camped in a different campsight off of another trail in the park not to long ago, so we headed for that camp.

Got there about 10:30 set up in the dark and got to bed around 11:30. It rained most the evening and dropped down to the upper 40s. The next morning we hiked back out to the cars and enjoyed a primitive breakfast at Hardees!

After breakfast we went back to the park and found the camp we were suppose to be in. Roche and Sluggie hiked back to the car to get us a fire permit and a second load for his family, who would be joining us soon. I stayed to guard the camp(nap). Detail man and Tweakie showed up with their youngsters and soon after Roches family arrived also. Us old folks sat around and talked while the youngsters caught crawdads in the creek and participated in various kinds of races. I tried to keep up with the races but the rules seemed to change int the middle so determining the winner was a bit confusing.

Detail Man and Tweakie showed off their fire making ability and soon it was time for supper. Then more pleasant conversation and it was bed time. Saturday/Sunday night sleeping was filled with screech owls, barn owls and a few coyotes singing to us. At Sunday morning breakfast the coyotes seemed to have a disagreement close to the camp, perhaps over song rights, not sure. But it was setteled in a timely manner and visiting was resumed.

The park really is very nice. The trails we were on were wide and fairly level, but I understand there are a few that are quite challenging. So not really alot of hiking happened, but hey what do you expect from a guy called Lump. The pictures are kind of pixel intensive so you can find them here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clarespics/

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/claresp...57627701353508

Just for you, Roche. Mr. Pictures-or-it-didn't-happen.

Sluggie

Images
    You are very kind to me. I did hike that trail a few years ago and felt "comfortable" finding the campsite in the dark - but did not. Fortunately the trail loops back on a connecting trail. So after the pitch black death march these naive kids trust me to take them to another campsite - thank God the pooch lead the way. Funny thing was we were not the last to arrive - three hikers (one a fellow hanger) arrive around 11:30 PM. We all had a great time and look forward to doing it again next year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Images
    The trails were easy so it was an adventure. Everyone's gotta have adventures.

Sluggie

I would like to join you all if you do something similar again. Out here in East TN I do not know many other hangers that I can join with. So keep me in mind next time you all set out.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks for sharing your weekend! That campsite looks supreme.
    And the kids look like they thoroughly enjoyed it!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I would like to join you all if you do something similar again. Out here in East TN I do not know many other hangers that I can join with. So keep me in mind next time you all set out.
    Will do. Sorta/kinda working on a Big South Fork little loop hike that has change dates. I need to recheck on a few schedules.

Images
    It's 11:00 o'clock, do you know where your children are?

Safe and sound in the piney woods!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts