Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    randyr

newbie from Missouri/Kansas

My wife and I spent most of the summer camping in Kansas. I slept in the tent for a while, but it was often too hot at night, then the inflatable mattress I was using wouldn't stay full enough to give me proper support.

We brought an ordinary poly rope hammock, which worked sortof ok. It left big marks on my back and was uncomfortable unless I put a towel behind me.

My wife broke her wrist the second day camping, so she found the hammock easier to get out of than getting up up off the ground wearing a cast.

I figured there had to be something better I could make myself and found Just Jeff's Hammock Camping site.

I'm still investigating different ways to make a hammock, but a place that sells fabric remnants gave me an idea. I looked at the different fabrics they had, and one kind caught my eye. I was looking for lightweight material for another purpose and what I found was rolls of raw silk for $3 a yard.

When I was at Cabella's in Kansas City a few weeks ago I picked up 100' of milspec paracord, figuring I could use it somehow.

It looks like I might be doing some camping this fall, so it would be nice to have an insulated hammock. I was also wondering if I couldn't somehow incorporate my sleeping bag into a hammock. When it got cold at night I slept in my sleeping bag in the hammock, and I had the best sleep I've ever had. It wasn't easy to get inside the sleeping bag without falling out of the hammock.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

randyr
    I remember reading a book years ago, I'm not sure if it was true, but it talked about how people living in South America usually slept in a hammock. If you went to an ordinary hotel, you would find a room with 2 hooks on the wall to hang the hammock from.

Does anyone sleep in a hammock in their house? I would think it would be more comfortable than most beds, and the best part is that you don't roll over at night because of the lack of pressure points. I usually sleep in an expensive Tempurpedic bed, but even it still has pressure points, though not as bad as most beds.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Welcome!

There are one or two of us in the general KC area, so perhaps there's an opportunity to meet up sometime and either do a KC hang or at least get together and discuss the madness!

Feel free to PM me if you're interested. Welcome aboard!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by randyr View Post
    Does anyone sleep in a hammock in their house? I would think it would be more comfortable than most beds, and the best part is that you don't roll over at night because of the lack of pressure points. I usually sleep in an expensive Tempurpedic bed, but even it still has pressure points, though not as bad as most beds.

I sleep everynight in my Knotty DIY Hammock here just outside of wonderful Parkville, Mo (North West side of KC bout 1.5 miles west of the Argosy). The best part is when I go camping and wake up in the morning, I have to realize I'm not at home. First clue is the bugnet of my Blackbird. It's wonderful feeling just as refreshed as if I was at home.

There's a hang up in Nebraska weekend of October the 22nd at Indian point or something like that. Look under events. My wifes birthday weekend unfortunately so I'm out. Sides, I used up all my hall passes going to model airplane events and Oshkosh this year. There's always next year.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas.

You'll find a whole section on the site with people here who sleep in hammocks year round in their homes.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida Randy. Prepare to be overwhelmed. First check out Shug's videos that will give you a good start. Yes,there are quite a few of us who sleep fulltime in hammocks. We have been tagging most post dealing with hanging indoors with "home". I've been at it for over a month and never plan on going back to a bed.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Welcome to to the forum. Spend some time reading and asking questions and you will learn a lot. There are a few in the area that you can tap for a look and try of equipment. Better yet make it to a hang near you. The Nebraska hang is coming up and would not be to far for you.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    My best friend and I hang about every other weekend in Mid-Missouri. We're trying to setup a big hang this fall at Bell Mountain, but will go several times before then on short overnighters around Columbia. Check out baxpax.org for more info on trips, maps, etc for around Missouri. We also have a facebook. Hope to hang with you sometime.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast