Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Removable Guy Lines.

As some you may or may not know, I'm a total gear head . I've got a lot of tarps and a couple more on the way.

I've decided that instead of making each tarp its own set of guy lines and tarp tensioners, I thought I would use mitten hooks to make guy lines that can simply be clipped right on the tarp tie outs and switched between tarps as needed. That would also allow me to have one set of lines that I could move between my tarps. It would also be more cost effective being that I won't have to buy line and shock cord for every tarp I own.

I was wondering if the mitten hook would be able to hold up to the forces that would be encountered with a tarp guy line. Has anyone used the mitten hooks from Quest Outfitters? Can anyone think of a better alternative, read easy to use and VERY light weight, other than mitten hooks?
    Last edited by headchange4u; 04-14-2008 at 18:14.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    I have used the mitten hooks, but not for anything load bearing. I think they were from quest, but not 100% sure. The mitten hooks I got are plastic and the little tab does nothing in terms of securing the hook, since there is a gap that does not close.

Couldn't you just use a lark's head knot to attach the lines to the tarp? Should be easy enough to remove.

If you are going to order from quest, check out the linelocs. I have not used them much, but I really like them so far. Since I did not want to sew them on, I used a short piece of cord and put a Prusik knot where the webbing should go, similar to what you do with cinch buckles. Then, I used a lark's head to attach to the tie-out. What I like about this setup is no knots (yeah!), the adjustment can be made from under the tarp, and you can get away with shorter line. I am experimenting with shock cord between the lineloc and the tarp, so far with good success. But I have not had it out in high winds, and am a bit concerned about the shock cord failing, mainly because of reading that others back up the shock cord with regular guy line.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I put a loop in the end of the guy line and put it through the tarp attachment, then put the line through the loop and there you go, a lark's head.

Images
    I'm not sure I'd trust a mitten hook in a high wind. It might be okay, but what if it fails?
    I think you could accomplish the same thing by using a lark's head and just attach them that way.
    Hmmmm....I might do that too.....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I used the larks head when I used the latex tubing tarp tensioners. I have since switched to the shock cord tensioner, but I guess I could get them to work with the larks head.

I was looking as the mitten hooks because they can quickly be attached and unattached.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I used the larks head when I used the latex tubing tarp tensioners. I have since switched to the shock cord tensioner, but I guess I could get them to work with the larks head.

I was looking as the mitten hooks because they can quickly be attached and unattached.
    I used the mitten hooks briefly when I was using a tarp with panel pullouts but switched to the larks head method because I wasn't confident in the strength of the glove hooks. The glove hook method is quicker/easier and if you have some shock cord with the guyline they should stay attached even with a gap, the gap would just make it easier in that scenario. I purposely cut gaps in mitten hooks for applications with shock cord just to make it easier.

Maybe someone should strength test some of the mitten hooks to get a better idea of what they are capable of?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You could use fishing swivel. my only fear is an metal edge could snag the tarp getting it out of the stuff sack.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

Maybe someone should strength test some of the mitten hooks to get a better idea of what they are capable of?
    I have to place an order with Quest, so I will pick some up to play around with. They offer a couple of different sizes and I will get some of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch
    You could use fishing swivel. my only fear is an metal edge could snag the tarp getting it out of the stuff sack.
    The meatl kinda makes me a little paranoid also.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    why do you need a quick change solution? its not like you will be carrying three tarps for different weather.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    why do you need a quick change solution? its not like you will be carrying three tarps for different weather.
    More of a quick attachment than anything else. I would be able to just grab a tarp and then grabbed the required number of guy lines when loading my pack and I would attach the lines while setting up. Lately it seems I'm always playing around with gear and I never seem to have the exact same setup twice. I am basically using one set of guy lines right now and if I decide to use a different tarp than I took last time, I gotta unpack the last tarp I used, remove the lines, and then put them on whatever is going with me on the next outing. Something that would make switching things around quick and easy would be great, IMHO.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast