HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS

$2.50oz 750+ 100% goose down

does anyone know this seller ive read hundreds of positive feedback and a few negitive "very few" and the negative was all about slow shipping or such. and tons of positive alot of them about this pillow. it sells for 74 bucks and has 30oz of 750+ goose down in them that equals out to right at 2.50oz that is crazy cheap just letting yall know and if anyone has delt with this person yet.
    here is the web addy.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000TC-LUXUR...item76c0cd03e8

thanks
    BT

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Item Description
    This auction is for one Brand new Factory Sealed Siberian Goose Down Pillow
    Gotta watch that Siberian Goose Down, since there are no
    official geese farmers in Siberia. It's a trade name meant to
    sell what is uaually an inferior product at a premium price. I'm sure it soft, fluffy and customers whom buy it to use as a pillow love them and feel they got a great deal. However, for a DIYer looking to make a quilt it's probably not going to be as warm as say 750+ genuine hungarian goose down. If I had to venture a guess I'd say most of the down in that pillow is probably duckling down from china. Unfortunately there is no way to be certain without a microscope, and specific
    knowledge of these birds.
    Here I have posted some links with info about down quality & consumer fraud alerts, see post #7.
    Does all this mean that it won't work to make a quilt, no, not at all. It just won't be as warm as you expect and may not last as long as other down. But, for the price it may be worth it to some people.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-20-2011 at 08:31. Reason: fixed link
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Gotta watch that Siberian Goose Down, since there are no
    official geese farmers in Siberia..
    True.

It's a trade name meant to sell what is uaually an inferior product at a premium price..
    From what I have read it is considered a trade name by a certain down disributor (http://www.plumeriabay.com/main/info...oose-down.aspx) whom makes disparaging comments about the "inferior quality" of said down without any evidence whatsoever to back it up and would have reason to promote thier own product over a competitors.

AFAIK, the down standard is the same no matter the origin of the down. 750 fill duck down is equal to 750 fill goose down. The quality is determined by the age of the bird the down came from. In fact, the finest down in the world - Eiderdown - comes from a duck. Goose down just happens to be more in demand since it's mostly a white color instead of gray (but goose down can be gray also).

((I couldn't get the above link to work, so not sure what was covered there))

All that aside, do a search on ebay for "My Luxe" (down pillows and comforters for Bloomingdales). They are 800+ fill power down and have been used in some DIY projects by HF'ers and appears to be of good quality. You should be able to get them for $2.75 per oz down or less if you're patient.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    The only problem with using pillows as a source for down, is that they can freely mix in feathers. Sure it's got 800 fill down, but it could also be 20% feathers...which to me would be an unacceptable amount.

The thicker material used for pillows isn't as susceptible to piercing from feathers as our 1.1oz calendared, light weight, outdoor material.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Yeah! Sorry about that, I'm gonna have to start double checking links I post from my not-so smart phone. I have fixed the original link, and I will post it again here

While, I do agree that other down product manufacturers have a motive to sell their products and disuede from buying others it is my experience in general that a manufacturer of any product will generally brag about the material used especially when it's top quality. The abscence of any sort of tag is a warning sign to me that the down inside isn't worthy of mentioning. Granted that isn't necessarily true, but certainly a reason for concern.

As for Duck vs. Goose; My understanding has been that generally goose down is superior for both loft (fill power) and longevity. I've yet to find a Duck down product over 550+FP. Surely they exisit, but as I understand it, most duck down just doesn't have the lofting power of goose down.

I'm certainly no expert, I've just been reading alot about this since the mention of using down bedding for DIY projects came back up. As I mentioned before, I'm sure it will work, but I wouldn't expect to get the same performance from 16oz of this down as one gets from 16oz of known top quality down.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Hey, thanks for that - I've seen a couple of those before.

I agree that manufacturers will brag about quality, but sometimes that leads to exaggerations or stretching the truth a bit (IMO of course). Which is where I tend to trust the standards set by the industry instead of any particular hype by individual companies.

An interesting video by a prominent down article production house:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrOvedSyvl8

Apples to apples, down is down no matter what fowl it comes from - it meets the standard. The fill power is what determines the quality. Anything can be called down if it meets 75% down 25% feather (550 fill), and you can almost be guaranteed it's duck down unless it states goose down. 80/20=600fp 90/10=700 95/5=800 (down/feather ratios roughly with variance ranges in quality). I'm certainly no expert either - I'm simply an armchair analyst who went on very similar expedition Ok, enough derailing from me - back to the topic.

The pillows I mentioned have been used by some DIY'ers here on HF with good results and meet the standard of 800+ fill power. As high a quality as some of the 900+ down offered by vendors here on HF? No, but $2.50 or less/oz vs $10/oz is up to the individual to decide if the quality/risk is worth the cost difference. I just wanted to add a "known" alternative to the OP to reduce that risk by some random percentage.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 09-20-2011 at 10:24. Reason: added down/feather ratios

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Browse catalogues for down comforters -- those would be the top-quilts for beds -- and you will find that the dominant selling word is "Hungarian." Now, maybe that country of 12 million does grow so many geese that it is supplying middle and upper-income US bedding boutiques with all the premium down they can put into quilts and garments. Or, maybe the down is as much Hungarian as Canada geese carry citizenship papers from Ottawa.

When my father sold down-filled garments by and for Shott Brothers, and salesmen snickered about what other makers were blowing, the subject of the question but not the joke was down from China, then kept out of the US and Canada allegedly for inferiority, but certainly for price.

I'm still wearing and occasionally wearing a down-filled vest my father gave me 30 years ago.I don't see signs of it wearing out; But, then, I don't see as well, either.

Who knows the value of lifetime claims, considering all the sources of variation in life. In 2004 Samson published a research paper on Puget Sound Rope's Amsteel-based rope, which Puget Sound sold and indeed was tested as significantly stronger- weight for weight than Amsteel Blue. (The paper is easy enough to find.) Samson showed that part of the strength superiority was from pre-tensioning; and the expected life of the line, which came from not-the-latest-and-most-advanced-Amsteel-feedstock, based on industry-standard testing methods for wear testing, was for far, far fewer duty cycles.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-20-2011 at 13:04. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Browse catalogues for down comforters -- those would be the top-quilts for beds -- and you will find that the dominant selling word is "Hungarian." Now, maybe that country of 12 million does grow so many geese that it is supplying middle and upper-income US bedding boutiques with all the premium down they can put into quilts and garments. Or, maybe the down is as much Hungarian as Canada geese carry citizenship papers from Ottawa.

When my father sold down-filled garments by and for Shott Brothers, and salesmen snickered about what other makers were blowing, the subject of the question but not the joke was down from China, then kept out of the US and Canada allegedly for inferiority, but certainly for price.

I'm still wearing and occasionally wearing a down-filled vest my father gave me 30 years ago.I don't see signs of it wearing out; But, then, I don't see as well, either.

Who knows the value of lifetime claims, considering all the sources of variation in life. In 2004 Samson published a research paper on Puget Sound Rope's Amsteel-based rope, which Puget Sound sold and indeed was tested as significantly stronger- weight for weight than Amsteel Blue. (The paper is easy enough to find.) Samson showed that part of the strength superiority was from pre-tensioning; and the expected life of the line, which came from not-the-latest-and-most-advanced-Amsteel-feedstock, based on industry-standard testing methods for wear testing, was for far, far fewer duty cycles.
    Wow, Demo. I'm going to have to draw a diagram! Microsoft Word gives your post a Flesch-Kincaid Readabilty index of 0.4! Thank you!~
    Haywire is my trail name, but I can't change it. Ha.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post
    Wow, Demo. I'm going to have to draw a diagram! Microsoft Word gives your post a Flesch-Kincaid Readabilty index of 0.4! Thank you!~

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kc7fys View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought I was too tired or something.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

• + New Posts