Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suspended cc foam underpads

I've delved into this forum from time to tme, but haven't yet found what I needed.

My understanding is that using a CC foam underpad leads to a sweaty underlayer. Fair enough, particularly if you are sleeping on it directly....although, in rational thinking, having slept on a CC foam pad before, I haven't ever "sweated to death" on it.

What about suspending a CC foam pad beneath the hammock? I have a Hennessy something or other, with the bottom entry. I was planning to suspend some 5mm CCF via press-studs underneath the hammock, thereby allowing me to add some extra insulation from spare clothing if needed.

?Anyone tried this approach.................and how big should the underpad actually be...

Andrew A

The problem with suspending the pad under the hammock is getting the pad to conform to the 3-d ccurves of the hammock bottom. Any openings/buldges/wrinkles will let the otherwise trapped warm air rise out and away around the perifery of your hammock, exchanging it for cold air. With the pad inside the hammock, this air is trapped under your quilt, and the pad is forced closer to your body shape by your weight. If you were to cut and glue a suitable 3d shape, it'd be very difficult to pack.

Hennessy 'solves' this problem in it's "Super Shelter" by using open cell foam (for the sake of compression), and molds the shape of the hanging foam pad to conform to the hammock. But, it also then requires a non-breathable layer over it to reduce convective heat loss. Further, at 120ish dollars and 1 pound, it's not really a better solution than an underquilt, worse, in fact, considering how thin the insulation is, and how easily the foam would soak up water. It could, at least, be wrung out, I suppose.

I'm trying to solve this issue right now as well-- I've not gotten a standard CC pad to work effectively inside my Hennessy ULB, and when I added wings to the pad to cover the shoulders I ended up filling most of my pack with the pad, and didn't really stay very comfy warm to boot.

I have a JRB Nest under-quilt, but I really don't like the bulk and weight, not to mention the exposed down and no good way to go to ground if necessary.

I'll be curious if you can solve the issue-- this bottom inulation deal is a major Achile's heal of hammocks at less than, say, 70ish deg, and represents the number one reason I currently stick to lighter, simpler, albeit less comfy, ground setup for anything 'serious'.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think the solution to this is solved with the double-layer hammock: a hammock with two layers of fabric. You can place a pad in this sleeve and it works good. I've done pads year round and only saw perspiration a few times, but it wasn't enough to be problematic. I think the moisture gets to an equilibrium like a vapor barrier bag.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    I have a JRB Nest under-quilt, but I really don't like the bulk and weight, not to mention the exposed down and no good way to go to ground if necessary.
    Agreed the JRB Nest is not a good ground option but I've never heard it referred to with a concern about "bulk and weight".

Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I think the solution to this is solved with the double-layer hammock: a hammock with two layers of fabric. You can place a pad in this sleeve and it works good. I've done pads year round and only saw perspiration a few times, but it wasn't enough to be problematic. I think the moisture gets to an equilibrium like a vapor barrier bag.
    Agreed. I was thinking about the double layer insert option but as I read on it was covered.

If the thread is focused on weight and cost don't read the next lines...

My favorite pad option that gives the most comfort in a "go to ground" situation and is extremely comfortable in the hammock too is the Exped 9 DLX DAM. There is certainly a weight cost and they ain't cheap.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi there
    I've looked at this every which way... My hammock is a double layer, but a mat is just not wide enough to cover you. I used a Thermorest type pad all summer with no real issue.
    It's fine for general summer use, but as it gets colder you really need an underquilt. I was getting cold in areas the pad didn't cover...
    I've just got a Snugpak Underquilt and first three nights were just sooo snug, a vast improvement over the pad I was using.. and more comfotable. It is quite big, but is not really much more bulky to carry than a pad once compressed, and the weight is pretty close too. I got it from DD hammocks. When you see the price of a good pad, its not that dear....
    Cheers
    Gareth

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    And if you really want to enjoy a pad, put one in the pad pocket of a JRB Bridge!

I've only used a pad once or twice, always with an SPE or a bridge pad pocket and I did not have significant moisture problems, though some folks have major problems. All my years on the ground I never had any problems. But I think the idea is that your pad lays flat on the ground, and maybe as you change positions moisture is able to evaporate. But a hammock wraps the pad around you and presses against your side, hindering that process. Maybe?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    I sewed in an outside pad pocket along the side seam of the ENO Doublenest I use.
    Sewed it along where the two colors meet.
    The military ensolite pads are a little wider than most of the commercial Thermarest CCF pads out there so that is what I use.
    No problems so far.
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Not doing pads now but to make a ccf pad a little more flexible I cut a crosshatched grid 1/4" deep in the backside of a 1/2" pad.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have used a walyworld waffle pattern blue in my double layer BB and have not had a moisture problem. I think the waffle pattern allows some air flow thus reducing the build up of moisture.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Funny how millions of people use pads in tent and have no problem with moisture, but the moment they go in a hammock, all hell breaks loose. I use pads (CCF) and have very little problem with discomfort or moisture. Good to freezing easily, so very good value for money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast