Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: DIY camp shoes

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    What about a lightweight and cheap pair of thongs?
    $5, flat and easy to pack and they hold up no problems..?

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    To Boothill, and all the people who gave ideas and links to ideas here in this tread, I say thank you! I’ve been thinking about this in camp foot wear idea for a while now and thanks to the DIY Camp Shoes thread, I now have some great things to try! Thanks!
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    I made a flip-flop pair of these out of the blue WM foam and they were wicked light and comfortable as long as I was on smooth ground. Once I stepped on a rock or a twig I could hear the closed cells popping and then feel said rock or twig in my foot. Twigs were REAL bad about poking all the way thru the foam. Is there a way to keep this from happening?
    i can see this happening if a person is doing a bunch of moving around, i was going more for something i can basically stand on and do just a bit of moving around camp with after 15-20 miles with a pack on the back, not gonna be alot of movement from this guy after days like that

Quote Originally Posted by patermagnus View Post
    Just pull the inserts from your boots and tape them to your feet!
    thought about that, but using superfeet i paid $45 for and really don't want to ruin them

Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post

BTW - any ideas on keeping the stick from poking thru, other than not walking on the sticks.
    haven't come up with a solution to this yet, wonder if a piece of doubled up tyvek glued to the bottom would work?

Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    I have tried the sandals with lightweight foam, and had sticks and stones painfully poke through. Unsuccessful.

Then I made a pair with a pieces cut from rubber floor mat intended for cars and trucks. The density seemed right for the sole of a shoe, but it was not ultra-light at 11 ounces per pair. Mine were a knock-off of the Unshoes, which is a great strap design IMHO.
    gonna have to try them out for the stick thing, don't want that, but for a 10 difference it's worth the effort, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    To Boothill, and all the people who gave ideas and links to ideas here in this tread, I say thank you! I’ve been thinking about this in camp foot wear idea for a while now and thanks to the DIY Camp Shoes thread, I now have some great things to try! Thanks!
    your welcome, pretty sure Dutch will come up with something in a flexible titanium before long

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

whoopie sling huaraches

Has anyone who wears huaraches tried incorporating a whoopie sling instead of a knot? Please post a picture.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    4 pages and no one has mentioned the Cody Lundeen camp shoe? pffft
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    What about a lightweight and cheap pair of thongs?
    $5, flat and easy to pack and they hold up no problems..?
    Careful cobber, these Americans might think you are suggesting that we all wear out underwear on our feet

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

Leather

I like this idea as well! Nice and cheap, and carpet runner huaraches can be rolled up and stuffed just about anywhere (probably hold up to twigs a little better too).[/QUOTE]

They can hold up to plenty, I can walk on gravel trails with no problem. I get very few rocks and sticks between the sandal and foot which surprises me. I Love them...I am trying to find some thick leather to make a pair out of just like the Huaraches indians used to use.

http://barefootted.com/uploaded_imag...4-1-760970.jpg[/QUOTE]

Google leather and find companies like Tandy leather. I'm thinking about making me a pair now...

Edit: found an interesting thing...check out Luna sandals. They have an all leather diy for about $60 for materials. Just a thought
    Last edited by Fish<><; 09-25-2011 at 04:43.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca81 View Post
    Careful cobber, these Americans might think you are suggesting that we all wear out underwear on our feet
    Ha ha true that, didn't think about that!
    That's too funny.
    I am talking about flip flops or what ever the Americans call them...

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Webbing
    I am new to Huarache sandals, I have been wearing them for about 20 miles of trails and hiking (3 to 5 mile each hike). I am in Love with the feel and the freedom of them. The carpet runner huaraches would be fine around camp, I found some old 1/16" intertube rubber (floating down the river type tube) and made a pair out of that and Love them even more!!
    I bought a large piece of scrap 1/8" hard leather coming from Amazon ($14 shipped), I want to mountain hike in these leather ones. I am going out this next weekend and want to bring my new leather huarache sandals for my 20 mile hike/camp.

I am training for now, my feet are getting used to the new way of walking and I am having little muscles that hurt in and around my feet I didn't know I had? My favorite thing is walking through water and having dry feet and "shoes" in under 10 minutes, and get back from a fast hike and having my feet dry and cool...nothing to air out at the end of the hike.
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast