Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings

First night in my new Hennessy

I setup my new HH UL Backpacker in the backyard Saturday, and decided to spend Saturday night in it. Temps in the mid 60s, light breeze, it was fantastic. I just threw a 45F bag in the hammock and it was very pleasant. I only setup the hammock and fly, no insulation. I did learn a few things:

- Hammock needs to be level. I was sliding to the foot area for a while until I finally got out and raised the foot end up. If the foot and head are not level, you will slide...

- I can sleep on my side, but I need a pillow. Curious what others here are doing, using some wadded up clothes or some sort of inflatable pillow?

- Weather was perfect Saturday night, couldn't ask for better hammock sleeping.

- The railroad track about 1.5 miles from my neighborhood is very busy between 2am and 4am.

I did not wake up even once with a rock or root poking in my side. Hammock sleeping is the way to go! My amsteel is being shipped, so I'll be trying my hand at making some whoopie slings soon. I did retie 3-4 times when setting it up, so I'm sure the whoopie slings will help with that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1316445463.656370.jpg

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.412937,-86.680422
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Great you had a good first night out!

Instead of level, elevate the foot end a bit and you'll like it much better I'd bet.

Lot's of pillow options from reversable fleece lined stuff sacks and clothing to actual hammock pillows. Whatever works for you is best, but I do like a small pillow, especially for side sleeping.

The Hennessey lashing is functional, but you're going to love the simplicity of the whoopie sling.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Glad you had a good first night out. It only gets better from here.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Ahhh Grasshopper. You have learned well!

As for the pillow, search the threade for a long discussion on this subject. I favor a Thermarest down pillow. Be careful of getting one that is too thick - the natural curvature of the hammock accounts for a certain amount of thickness.

As for me, I vote for a web & buckle conversion from AHE. (Gotta balance out those darned whoopie sling lovers!).

Jim

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree that you may not want your hammock level at all. I bought a Hennessey from Tom himself at '05 Trail Days. Saw him at Trail Days this year and mentioned same problem you have. I tend to slide down toward my feet. He said everybody's center of gravity is different, so everybody's hammock needs to be set up differently, and just raise the foot end of my hammock above level.

I also agree about need for a pillow. I'm a side sleeper and have to have a decent pillow. I've yet to find the ideal pillow and have several. So far, I think the Academy Sports' brand "Magellan" self-inflatable is my favorite.

And yes, whoopie slings are wonderful.

Anyway, thanks for the report and we are all with ya, brother!

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    Great you had a good first night out!

Instead of level, elevate the foot end a bit and you'll like it much better I'd bet.

Lot's of pillow options from reversable fleece lined stuff sacks and clothing to actual hammock pillows. Whatever works for you is best, but I do like a small pillow, especially for side sleeping.

The Hennessey lashing is functional, but you're going to love the simplicity of the whoopie sling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I agree that you may not want your hammock level at all. I bought a Hennessey from Tom himself at '05 Trail Days. Saw him at Trail Days this year and mentioned same problem you have. I tend to slide down toward my feet. He said everybody's center of gravity is different, so everybody's hammock needs to be set up differently, and just raise the foot end of my hammock above level.

Major +3 to needing a higher- sometimes way higher- foot end for non-bridge hammocks. Though I'm sure the perfect adjustment will vary greatly with the individual and hammock.

Welcome to an elevated life!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Congrats on your first night above ground.

Hammock
    Hennessy Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    OES MacCat'D Cuben
    Insulation
    Usually nothing
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by shhQuiet View Post

- I can sleep on my side, but I need a pillow. Curious what others here are doing, using some wadded up clothes or some sort of inflatable pillow?
    Same. I use one of those U shaped inflatable travel pillows. By inflating just a little there is no pillow when on my back (as I like it) but just enough support when rolling over onto the side.

Glad you went well first night. It took me a few nights to sleep really well - i think just because it is such a different sleeping environment to usual.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I use my fleece jacket wadded/rolled up for a pillow. Congrats on your 1st hammock!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    glad you enjoy it
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast