Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Winter Idea for Byer Moskito Hammock

Like most hammock ideas I have, I'm sure someone already thought of this. Still, I feel like a genius at this moment till someone inevitably brings me back to earth.

As I looked at my cheapo $34.95 Byer Moskito Hammock, I thought to myself, "Gee, I wish this was a double-walled hammock so I could slip a pad and some insulation into it in winter and not worry about it slipping." I am just not ready to buy an underquilt, financially or experience-wise. I seriously considered sewing another layer onto it just for this purpose.

I've been hanging in the back yard a lot lately, but I've needed the bug net all summer 'cause I live by a swamp and these Jersey mosquitoes will eat you alive.

Well, today I hung the Byer Moskito Hammock in my office so I could become a 365-day a year hammock hanger. Of course, I don't need the integrated mosquito net in the house, so I flipped it over so the mosquito net is underneath (a nice feature of this hammock).

Eureka! It came to me. I may not have a double-walled hammock in summer (need the bugnet) but I sure as hell have one in winter! It dawned on me that I could slip a pad, or any other insulation, into the mosquito netting, and it would hug nicely to the hammock.

Man, was I excited. I could slip a sleeping bag, a ccf pad, a space blanket, a wool or synthetic blanket, or all of the above, right into the bug net! I could even slip a piece of Tyvek or something else that is quasi-waterproof as a weather shield.

I tested it out with a ccf pad and a space blanket. If anything shifts, I can easily reach underneath and re-position stuff. I think this is going to work for me this winter, at least until I can afford an underquilt. I already liked the Byer Moskito Hammock because of its comfort and price. Now I have one more reason to like it 'cause I think it is going to get me through some cold nights! I can't wait for fall and winter to test this out.

I've attached a couple of pics of hammock, me and superdog Peanut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts