Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Day Hike on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River, WA

We got up late yesterday and still wanted to get in a hike. I live in Seattle and have the whole gamut of the Western Cascade range to choose from. There are many hikes in the I-90 corridor that can be reached without spending half the day on the car.

Forest Service trail 1003 follows the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River with an easy walk that sometimes follows an old overgrown railroad grade. Much of the trip it through a dim green jungle of ferns and mosses and second growth timber. There are several spectacular landslide areas from storms that hit several years ago. It makes for a good day hiking area about 50 miles from Seattle.

We had a good walk, going about 10 miles round trip. There was a near constant drizzle and it was 58-60F and the humidity was over 90%, so it made for a soggy trek, with the choice of wearing a rain shell and getting wet inside or going without and getting sweaty

At one point where the trail meets the river bank we found a campsite with a fire ring and excellent hammock potential (see the photos below). We stopped there for lunch and continued to the waterfall at Cripple Creek where we turned around to get back before dark.

The trail is at a fairly low elevation so it is accessible year round. I think I'm going to have a fall overnighter at that fire ring.

See http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/m...almie-upstream for more info and maps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Beautiful spot Dale.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hey Dale, I'm in Bellevue. I'll have to go check that out, it sounds great!

-Jay

Dale - How far in was that campsite? Thinking about introducing my 9 year old to the world of hammocking and that looks perfect. I'm in North Bend, so right in the backyard. I might be hauling hammock setup and tent, so curious about the potential for multi-use campsites in there.

Thanks!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    super lucky,..i've got highways filled with pot holes for as long as the eye can see. not sure i'd come back if i went out for a day hike.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Dale - How far in was that campsite? Thinking about introducing my 9 year old to the world of hammocking and that looks perfect. I'm in North Bend, so right in the backyard. I might be hauling hammock setup and tent, so curious about the potential for multi-use campsites in there.

Thanks!
    About 3 miles. Plenty of room for a tent and hammock. Moderate bugs for now. Mostly flat, easy trail, with a little brush.

The Taylor River trail is the next one on the road, just a little ways past the Middle Fork trailhead, where an access road was blocked the 1970's. There is a campsite 100 yards from the trailhead. There are lots of possible hammock sites along the river, but no formal campsites. It is a long day hike for a kid, but there are big waterfalls at the end. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/taylor-river

Lake Annette is close to North Bend. About 3.5 miles one way, but steeper. You do get into old growth and a "real" hike. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/annette-lake

Barclay Lake, on the north side of Mt. Baring east of Index, WA on Highway 2 is a great kid's hike with campsites. Super easy trail. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/barclay-lake

If you guys ride bicycles, there are campsites on the Iron Horse Trail near North Bend. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/iron-horse

You will need passes for the trailhead parking-- $5day/$30 a year. You can get them at the North Bend ranger station. I believe the Iron Horse camping is a State Park thing, so you pay for that too.

http://www.wta.org is a great site for trail information.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    super lucky,..i've got highways filled with pot holes for as long as the eye can see. not sure i'd come back if i went out for a day hike.
    You can always climb the Michigan Alps

Thanks, Dale. I've done all the routes you mentioned - just not that side of the MF for some reason. Up the other side into the upper valley is stunning. Unfortunately it now requires an 8 mile road walk since they put in the gate. That upper valley would be a National Park in any other state. Just awesome.

He went with me to the Teanaway in July for his first real backpacking trip where we couldn't bail to the car in the middle of the night. He loved it and can't wait to go again. I'm keen on keeping the first experiences super positive so the addiction has some time to take hold

I haven't been back in to Rainbow/Island lakes in a few years, so trying to decided if we want to go up the river into some close lakes. Probably let the forecast decide as it will be in early/mid October.

So great to have so many awesome choices within 20 miles of my front door!

• + New Posts