Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Sil question

Ok, so I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a tarp and while I am eyeing the HH Hex in 70D closely, I see a lot of people recomending to drop the extra $ for a better tarp. I like the weight savings of sil, but the "misting" thing worries me. Just how heavy of a rain would it take to make a sil tarp mist? A Maccat Deluxe is also high on my list. The only thing I have used so far aside from a blue WW tarp was a borrowed Kelty 9, so my experience is limited. The Kelty was great, but I want to buy a hex tarp as I feel it will be much better all around.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine don't seem to mist very much and with the "openness" of tarps there will always seem to be some air moisture as opposed to a zipped up tent.
    Sil is pretty tough.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    misting is of no concern to me and I use 2 different silnylons,,one is a 10' x 12' OES and other is a new Wilderness Logics Oldman winter, and the new one just went thru 1.5 inches of rain last couple of nites with flying colors..everything under it was high and dry with the exception of a lite fog early in the mornings, and nothing you can do except go with the weather when its foggy.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    Ok, so I am finally ready to pull the trigger on a tarp and while I am eyeing the HH Hex in 70D closely, I see a lot of people recomending to drop the extra $ for a better tarp. I like the weight savings of sil, but the "misting" thing worries me. Just how heavy of a rain would it take to make a sil tarp mist? A Maccat Deluxe is also high on my list. The only thing I have used so far aside from a blue WW tarp was a borrowed Kelty 9, so my experience is limited. The Kelty was great, but I want to buy a hex tarp as I feel it will be much better all around.
    I like the Hex too. You get the benefit of good coverage and the weight savings over the rectangular with the same ridgeline length.

OES makes good gear and is well worth considering.

If you are shopping the Hennessey site, take a look at the sil version of the Hex tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Mine don't seem to mist very much and with the "openness" of tarps there will always seem to be some air moisture as opposed to a zipped up tent.
    Sil is pretty tough.
    Shug
    I remember back in the day when we had rain in Texas and I had no problem with any mist. Like Shug says though the air is thicker so some moisture is going to occur from humidity regardless of the tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    misting is of no concern to me and I use 2 different silnylons,,one is a 10' x 12' OES and other is a new Wilderness Logics Oldman winter, and the new one just went thru 1.5 inches of rain last couple of nites with flying colors..everything under it was high and dry with the exception of a lite fog early in the mornings, and nothing you can do except go with the weather when its foggy.
    +1 on using different types of sil and having the same good results.

The tarps I have experience with include the Kelty Noah's, Hennessey Sil Stock, HH Hex 70D, Smokehouse Sil Honeymoon Suite, Intergral Designs Sil Tarp 8x10, WB Superfly, Pac Outdoors Sil Tarp 4, Blue Cheapie from WW, and clear poly painter's plastic with gorilla tape tie outs. - They all keep the rain off me unless I do something wrong in the set up. Some are bulky and combersome, others sleek and sexy, some pricey and others dirt bag cheap, every one a bit different but they all keep me dry.

My suggestion is to read lots of threads and if possible, attend a group hang if there is one close by in time and distance and see a wide range of gear in action if you're undecided.

Questions to answer include; is this for backpacking or car camping?, how much use will it really get?, how much money do you want to spend?

The other suggestion is buy quality and only pay for it once.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never experiences misting but as Shug alluded to, I find I do get the occasional drop but that's when my tarps is set up in porch mode.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    The tarp is primarily for backpacking and I've pretty well decided to go with OES as the price is good and they come highly recommended. Thanks everyone for the info, now I just have to decide Standard or Deluxe...decisions decisions
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

• + New Posts