Thread: Lend-a-hammock?

Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!

Lend-a-hammock?

This might be a strange question, but I was wondering if anyone knew any places I could rent or borrow a WBBB or a HH from? I live in Toronto, Ontario, and have really been wanting to try hanging, but as a 23 year old working at a pretty low paying retail job with loans, I don't want to purchase until I've tried one out.

Maybe this is crazy talk, haha, but you never know...and if anyone did know, it would certainly be you guys!

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Maybe try to attend or organize a group hang. That would be sure to bring out a lot if different rigs for you to try.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I don't know where you could rent A WBBB from but if you do purchase one, they generally re-sell un-used or lightly used for apx. full price some times $5 or $10 less. Just another option that if you don't like it you most likely wont loose all that much money. IDK if that helps you or not but something to consider.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    RC - I remember being in your shoes at about your age. Working a couple of jobs, no dough, and eating a lot of mac-n-cheese, tuna, and ramens.
    Try looking at the Google User map feature on the home page. It looks like there are several members in your area. Reach out to them and see if they will help you. I bet they will. That is the ethic around these parts.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I just posted in your other thread about borrowing gear for a group hang.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am in the same position as you as a law student. I have funds but I don't feel comfortable spending them on non-essentials since it isn't money I have truly earned and I'll be paying for it later.

Anyway, I have found that DIY is a nice route if you have a sewing machine or can get one for you to get to experience the hammocking world. I have made myself a lot of budget items that I would not have been able to afford from a traditional manufacturer. To me, making my own stuff is a relaxing use of my limited free time and it is always gratifying to see what you can come up with yourself.

I think you can make yourself a nice hammock with ripstop, whoopies, and straps for around $20. It might not be as cool as the WBBB but at least it'll give you a feel for things.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    When do you want this for? I might be agreeable to lending mine out for a short time, but the shipping from here to you is about $10. Considering the cost both ways, and the time involved, you would need to be serious about trying this option. If the shipping turned out to be more, that would drive up your cost, but I looked it up before posting this.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    When do you want this for? I might be agreeable to lending mine out for a short time, but the shipping from here to you is about $10. Considering the cost both ways, and the time involved, you would need to be serious about trying this option. If the shipping turned out to be more, that would drive up your cost, but I looked it up before posting this.
    If you go this route you might as well buy the wbbb and pay for it and shipping too you. Then sell it for full price less shipping. Im sure it will sell at about full price if you eat all shipping and don't use it other then to test hang.
    I suggest the bb as it has the better resale of the two.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I'm sure you have a MEC store in Toronto, see if you can rent one from them, or at least try it out in-store
    Debi

Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!
    @ olzeke: thanks so much for the offer, but I think I'd feel nervous in case something happened to your loaner en-route/over the border! But what an offer! This forum gives me the warm and fuzzies already.
    @packeagle: I was thinking about this, especially after looking through the for sale thread on here. But unfortunately I can't afford it right now, as I just had to replace my bike after a motorist t-boned me and cracked my frame. That might be an option in a little while though, especially if I got to try something out to get the taste for it, and then wanted to try the WBBB.
    @Debi: oh man, any excuse to go to MEC!

Thanks for the options, everyone, it seems like I'll be able to get out soon and try my first hang!

• + New Posts