Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Soggy Problem

I apologize if this should be in a different area, wasn't sure if I have a problem with suspension, tarp or both - but KNOW I have a problem with weather protection. I'm very new to hammocks. Labor Day weekend on my first hammock outing, I stayed warm and dry as TS Lee roared through the GA/NC/SC mountains, thanks to advice from the forums. Now I've got my hammock set up on the back porch while I learn more and upgrade tarp, UQ, and suspension.

Tonight we had a much needed thunderstorm and everything is soaked. Same big plastic tarp as before, but hung by two lines rather than over the ridgeline I used previously. And I've changed the hammock suspension by adding a ridgeline, previously just had the whoopies and lucked out finding trees the right distance apart. From the drip marks, it appears that water - a LOT of water - ran down the whoopies and kept right on going onto the ridgeline, past the drip lines I intended to divert the water. Then it dripped over the center of the hammock. The ends are fairly dry, it is definitely the center which is soaked.

I should have taken pics, but didn't think before I had pulled everything apart to dry. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong and how to do better? Thanks so much!

Images
    As a suggestion:

I've added an amsteel continuous loop to each end of my hammock. You can use a Decending Ring or Dutch Biner to connect your whoopie sling at this point. This will make a much better rain drip.

whoopieslings.com has the Decending ring @ .4oz/each $2.75/each

JacksrBetter had the Dutch Biner @ .7oz/pair $18.95/pair

Both site have the amsteel continuous loop.

both very light and more than strong enough.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was thinking of adding loops and descending rings, it looks as if it would make adjusting the suspension a bit easier. Helping with drips makes the thought even more attractive.

This is all part of why I'm trying things out at home - better things fail where I can go inside a nice dry house than out in the cold dark woods. Not to mention it is fun and a good excuse to hang out on the back porch...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too run a continual loop from my hammock to a dutch biner to whoopie. Never had any water run in since going this way.
    Best to your hang.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I too run a continual loop from my hammock to a dutch biner to whoopie. Never had any water run in since going this way.
    Best to your hang.
    Shug
    This is exactly what I do with the Dutch biner located close to the hammock so that it is under the tarp. And, the Dutch biner does double duty.
    1. It prevents drips from making it past the biner, and
    2. Creates an easy way to detach the suspension if it gets wet or sappy, to store it separately.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    perhaps a marlinspike hitch? then the rain would run on down the strap, and only a tiny bit would wick up onto the whoopies
    (as long as the knot is under the tarp, otherwise you are right back where you started.)
    KM (who uses the MSH in the yard, and biners out in the 'wild' - just over-cautious)

Hammock
    Grand Trunk single
    Tarp
    Hay cover
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Well, thanks to a steady overnight rain giving me plenty of time for observations, I've learned that there's more than one way to soak a hammock!

1 - Yes, a fair bit of water ran down the suspension and dripped onto the hammock. I appreciate the suggestions and am making changes to prevent that source.

2 - The hammock ridgeline wasn't the only source of drips. The tarp is pitched diamond shape just from the corners with no ridgeline. It is nice and snug so water flows off the top, but the tarp forms a wee bit of a catenary curve on the diagonal, with the low point above the center of the hammock. Despite being oriented well for the current wind direction, some water blows UNDER a corner and then flows along the under surface of the tarp to the low point of the cat curve - right over the hammock. With enough time and rain, that turns into enough water to soak a sleeper. I suspect it would probably happen with fog or dew condensation as well. Have other folk encountered this? I'd love to hear suggestions, but am thinking if the tarp is pitched diamond shape, put one end lower so the drip point isn't right over the sleeper, or try putting it below a ridgeline with a (well sealed) center hang point to get rid of that low spot. Or go with a variation on rectangular. I'll keep playing with the cheap hay tarp before I put scissors to the nice silnylon.

3 - Location - my set up on the back deck is convenient for testing and naps, but bad for storm protection. Runoff from the roof hits the deck with enough force to splash back up under the tarp far enough to soak the hammock. Forest duff probably wouldn't splash quite as much as the deck planks, and pitching the tarp low to the ground would help. So would a water resistant outer shell on the UQ. How do others protect against splash up from the ground?

I appreciate the patience and suggestions as I work through beginner issues which I'm sure other folk have long since solved. My children are amused by mom's new interest, but when my son was visiting I found him outside in the hammock, surprised by how comfy it was. I suspect there may be another couple of converts soon...

• + New Posts