Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Stripper poles as indoor anchor points??

Unusual request for info follows...

Like many others, I find that sleeping in a hammock helps my back as well as just being downright comfy. My back has been painful for years & as soon as I get into my hammock the relief is almost instantaneous and lasting. The thought of hanging indoors and getting relief from the pain regularly has been on my mind for a while. So I bought a couple of eye-bolts & mounted them into the ceiling joists, hung up my hammock & got in - bliss...or so I thought.

When the hammock is strung up so that it sits at a normal workable height it has too much sag for me & is too uncomfortable to sleep in. If I string it tighter to get the right amount of sag, it ends up too high of the floor to get in & out off easily. As it is, I have to stand on a footstool to get in & out the hammock & want to avoid using a stepladder!! I have 8ft ceiling height & the eye-bolts are mounted about 12ft apart. I'm using a WBBB with adjustable webbing suspension.

I can't mount the eye-bolts any further apart so I was wondering how to fix my problem. I don't want to mount the eye-bolts into the walls because of the high tensions put on them when the hammock is weighted. I could buy a hammock stand but it would take up the entire room & I'd have to get rid of my bed altogether or have it leaning up against one of the walls out of the way - so those options are out for now.

Spoke to my GF about it & she said "Why don't you get a couple of stripper poles & install them where you need them & tie your hammock to them?" Clearly, I thought this was a great idea (hoping she might decide to also use them as intended ). So I check out the price of them & they're £150 each for the strongest one - too much money for me right now but could save the cash if necessary.

Thought about using scaffolding poles instead & mounting them using suitable flanges screwed into the ceiling joists & floor, however I kinda like the idea of having two ahem, poles, in my room that primarily hold up my hammock. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made... these poles are specially designed to be strong enough to support a human swinging on them & not pull out, so they'd be perfect to suspend a hammock from - right? I could stop the hammock suspension from sliding down the poles by running a sling from the ceiling eye-bolts to the suspension & anchoring each end in place. This would mean I could adjust the tension & get the right amount of sag at any height off the floor that I like. I'd most likely anchor the poles with screws/bolts permanently just for peace of mind, but it's also handy that they can be removed easily & quickly if need be.

Has anyone else tried this? Did it work? Are there any other options I should consider?

SWMBO is clearly awesome for understanding my need for hanging my hammock indoors and suggesting an equally awesome solution that took me by surprise at it's sheer genius & simplicity - and made me grin from ear-to-ear at the same time!!

Would welcome any comments & suggestions on this idea from all on HF. It's certainly an unusual way of hanging a hammock indoors, & it's probably more unusual for a guy to have not one, but two poles in his bedroom - for any reason!! But kinda cool at the same time

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i wouldnt do that, for several reasons

1: the lateral force on the poles is greater when hanging that far from the pole. put it this way, pick up a cinder block and hold it near your body, then hold it at arms length. big difference.

2: those poles are VERY slippery, and getting a proper hold on them with the hammock suspension will be hard.

my suggestion is to take enough amsteel with loops in the ends. you can attach one end into the eyebolt, the other at the hammock end.

that way it would drop it down a bit and should hold it correctly.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I have often dreamed of hanging in a strip bar.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I have often dreamed of hanging in a strip bar.
    Love ya to death Dave but you in a G-string hanging on a stripper pole ... geesshhhhhh

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinOut View Post
    Spoke to my GF about it & she said "Why don't you get a couple of stripper poles & install them where you need them & tie your hammock to them?"
    She is definitely a keeper!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    How about hanging a couple loops of rope from the ceiling eye bolts and then hanging a single pole from them, as a ridge? Kinda of a reverse-Turtle Lady stand (as this is my 1st post, don't know how to put in appropriate link to thread). Should be completely height adjustable/sag adjustable/easily put away. Also, if you do use your GF's suggestion as type of pole to use, a set of flanges in the ceiling and a half-flange on the floor (with the other half handy for install) can convert it back to original use. My only thought on this is that at 8', the pole may be too short and you'd have to find some way to add an extension, ala fence toprail.
    The problem with making something fool-proof, is that it tends to make better fools.
    There are two types of folks in this world - those who can learn from others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence themselves.

Go with the stripper poles that way when it doesnt work for the above reasons you still have the poles and can tell your girlfriend you dont want to waste the money so she might as well use them, lol

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    IDK, who posted it or where to find it, would be a hassle from my phone anyway. But the indoor 2"x4" frame stand seems to be the most cost, space, structurally effective indoor hanging solution where you cannot make modifications to the building's framework.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracfodder View Post
    How about hanging a couple loops of rope from the ceiling eye bolts and then hanging a single pole from them, as a ridge? Kinda of a reverse-Turtle Lady stand (as this is my 1st post, don't know how to put in appropriate link to thread). Should be completely height adjustable/sag adjustable/easily put away. Also, if you do use your GF's suggestion as type of pole to use, a set of flanges in the ceiling and a half-flange on the floor (with the other half handy for install) can convert it back to original use. My only thought on this is that at 8', the pole may be too short and you'd have to find some way to add an extension, ala fence toprail.
    This.

Photo from first post by Turtle Lady in that thread:

Just like Dracfodder suggested: hang a steel pole from the eye bolts. It will lower your attachment points but still give you the 12' reach you need.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    She is definitely a keeper!
    Haha I second that thought!

• + New Posts