Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Sleeping bags and Hammock question.

I've pretty much solved my bottom warmth probs with my underquilt and pads but have been getting a bit cold on top with temps in the mid twenties to low thirties. I attribute that to my twenty year old Cat's Meow which has been constantly stored in it's original stuff sack. I've been considering the Mountain Hardwear Laminas which come in a twenty and zero degree rating. Most of the salesmen are saying the twenty degree bag will be plenty warm within that temp range but I believe they are coming from the perspective of a tenter. I use a Claytor hammock which as you all know is open on top with the exception of the bug net. I'm thinking I should have a warmer rated bag to protect my top because I'm much more exposed to the air with no way of keeping in the heat. I'm also a fairly cold sleeper. The zero degree bag is about a lb heavier than the twenty. I'm leaning toward the zero degree bag and will use my old bag in the summer. I really don't plan on hammocking below the twenties.

Am I thinking correctly on this? Do we need a warmer bag because of our exposure? Which would you choose?

Miguel

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I'd go with the twenty degree bag. You're no more exposed than a guy in a tarp -- in fact, if you have your tarp up, you *are* a guy in a tarp. Your bottom is exposed to air, but that's pad territory; a bag won't help you much there.

Remember that when you approach a bag's limit you can always wear your clothes to bed to keep warmer.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    I've been unzipping my bag and using it as a quilt and I think that helps with it not compressing with me trying to squirm and wiggle around inside it. It's hard for me to recommend a solution though because I seem to be a warm sleeper. I've slept quite well with my Marmot Helium (15*F) like that, often needing to uncover some to keep comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Before you go out and buy a new bag try washing the one you have first. I was surprised when my 10 year old down bag gained ALL of it's loft back after it was washed. I used the Nikwax product for down sleeping bags and it worked great; I washed it in the bathtub and then partially dried it in the drier (fluff no heat) with tennis balls to break up the clumbs, then hang dried it in the gear room for a couple of days. It's like a brand new bag again!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

• + New Posts