Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images

Springer Mtn/BMT Loop Oct 21-23

After a few really long weeks of business travel, I decided to treat myself to a bit of a break. I headed North and West from Charleston on the afternoon of Friday the 21st and stopped in Atlanta to pick up my good friend Thunderbolt for a short loop hike on the AT/BMT on and around Springer Mountain. The forecast was for clear skies and crisp temps at night (mid-30's with a frost warning) so we were pumped. We arrived at Springer just as the sun was starting to set, and had about 30 minutes to set up camp. I set up my brand new TTG Switchback Dbl 1.1, and hung my OES Deluxe w/ZQ doors.

I opted to use my trusty JRB Nest on this outing, but with the temps a bit chilly I cheated and added my Yeti as an extra layer of down - probably overkill, but I don't like to be cold. My TQ this trip was my 3S HG Burrow that I had purchased that week from Lazy River Road. What a sweet piece of kit and a great purchase that was! Thanks LRR!

My first bump of the night was to realize that I thought I had left my slings & straps at home - I found out a bit later that I had stashed them in my Alpenlite in a pocket I hadn't looked in yet. I did manage to leave my alky stove fuel and gravity filter, which led me to Yogi water and heat from Thunderbolt. He gracefully did so, having done similar things himself in the past. Always make a list. And USE it!

We had an adult beverage or two, maybe three, and were visited by Fievel the peanut stealing mouse, who became the main attraction as he/she was fearless, practically taking peanuts from our hands. I went with the bugnet rolled up, and Fievel ran up my suspension and across my head. I didn't mind too much I was so tired. After driving 6 hours, I slept like a dead man. I attribute that to the Switchback's wonderful lay.

The next morning we headed down the BMT, barely missing the horde of 30-40 Scouts that had decended on Springer that morning. We heard they were camping down at Three Forks so we decided not to camp there on Saturday night.

We stopped at a really neat overlook on the BMT and had lunch.

We liked it so much, in fact, that we decided to knock off for the day and camp there.

Life is good!

This time I decided that I was going to deploy trail stick in the spreaders for the bugnet and sleep under the stars. Having only walked a couple of miles and spent time dozing in the hammock in the warm sun, I was really relaxed.

Going without the tarp allowed me to view the brilliant night skies and to see a few shooting stars. You can do that when you are snug and comfortable with nothing to do but look at the sky. Saturday night was warmer than Friday night, and I once again slept really well. The final piece of the puzzle was Sunday morning, where I was treated to a beautiful sunrise with just a hint of the night's moon still visible.

After breakfast, we packed up and decided to finish our lazy hike theme by road walking back to the Springer Mountain parking lot. This allowed me to be on the road back to Charleston and be home before dark, which made the boss happy.

My final thoughts were that my "new" retro Alpenlite 80's backpack (rigged with hammock, UQ, TQ, & pillow all in one sack) worked really well - it has a ton of organization that I am looking forward to playing around with.

The Switchback - well, all I can say is that I've been hanging since 2004 and own 7 hammocks and none have ever been so comfortable out of the box. No calf pressure, and some side sleeping, although not as much as I would like.

Hammock Gear makes great quilts as well - I am really looking forward to my Incubator (order #1001) whenever it gets hear.

All in all, a great weekend, just what this corporate drone needed!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great pics and trip report! Nothing like a few nights on the trail to end the work week.

I was in the same area and finnished my hike Friday afternoon. Glad the weather was so nice for ya. Cool you saw some shooting stars too. Did you see any frost?

Like your gear and old school pack too!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    No frost at all - camping up on the ridges like we did had enough air movement to keep any frost from forming. I love that section and have done it many times over the years.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    When the weathers clear & fine, hanging high on the ridges takes a lot of beating..
    Enjoyed your post & pics.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Great report and wow, that sunrise pic is amazing. The peanut-stealing mouse takes the cake! Or, the peanut... thanks for taking us along.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Great trip report Sweeper them some pretty pics. I've always wanted to summit Springer Mt. so thanks for taking me/us along. Glad you got to use your new TQ and even gladder you are happy with it . That new incubator on order will accompany that 3S Burrow quite well. Enjoy all your new toys in the piny woods.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    The Switchback - well, all I can say is that I've been hanging since 2004 and own 7 hammocks and none have ever been so comfortable out of the box. No calf pressure, and some side sleeping, although not as much as I would like.Sweeper
    I don't know if you had a chance to try this; in my experience if I get in a slight fetal position it enables me to sleep totally on my side. It is a great hammock and I own 4.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    I don't know if you had a chance to try this; in my experience if I get in a slight fetal position it enables me to sleep totally on my side. It is a great hammock and I own 4.
    I did try that, and I agree that it helped. My problem is 2 fused discs in my neck, so I think I'll have to continue to find the propery hang/pillow to get it just right. I have fun trying, and I tell my wife this is my entertainment dollar I spend since I can't play golf, tennis or anything like that any more.

Sweeper

• + New Posts