Pacific Outdoor Equipment Pad in a Hammock

I have a POE Ether Thermo 6 sleeping pad with a R Value of about 4 (I think). To be comfortable in a hammock, the pad needs some air released from it. From what I’ve read, a sleeping pad’s R value decreases when air is released. I was wondering if anyone has used this pad in a hammock and how cold of a temperature they have gone down to and still been comfortable. And, if you happen to remember other variables, i.e. sleeping bag/TQ warmth rating, clothing worn, etc. so I can get a feel for other insulation you were using, that'd be great.

I hope this isn't a repeat question; I couldn't find an exact answer on HF. I know similar questions have been asked about this pad, but I don't think anyone has asked and received any advice on actual use and actual temps they felt comfortable with.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I cannot answer to the exact pad that you have listed but I will tell you about the situation of my first hanging experience. It was Feb 2009 and I had just joined HF. There was a group hang planned for the Sipsey Wilderness Area here in Alabama. I had my new CJH NX-200, REI 3" SIAM, 50 DegF Mummy bag, rain pants, fleece jacket and balaclava plus a small fleece throw blanket for extra top insulation.

The temps were not supposed to drop below 40 F during the night so I figured I would be good to go with this set-up. As luck would have it, not only did it rain that night, temps dropped to around 30 F and we got 3" of snow as well. I will admit I did get cold that night, after I got up to water the forest. So I threw on the fleece throw blanket and slept comfortably the rest of the night, actually was sweating when I woke up that morning. I can say that I did get some shoulder cold spots through the night when I would slip off the pad, I wander at night in my hammock!!!! Never experienced CBS that night though.

If you are going to use the pad you will need to leave it slightly deflated so you do not slide off of it during the night, plus it conforms to your body better this way. I will say that I was confortable but I could have been a great deal warmer with my UQ/TQ combination that I got after this hang. Also the weathershield on the CJH family of hammocks are worth there weight in gold as far as I am concerned. It did a great deal to "trap" extra heat in the hammock by keeping the wind out.

I hope this will helps you out. If you want to read what I wrote about my experience in detail go to the CJH website and look at the customer reviews from 2009 you will see a picture of the hammock in the snow in Alabama.........
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    I have a POE Ether Thermo 6 sleeping pad with a R Value of about 4 (I think). To be comfortable in a hammock, the pad needs some air released from it. SoCal Mike
    Although I have that same pad, (in fact would sell it to someone looking for a good insulated pad), I have not used it in a hammock. It is a great pad however, and I bet it would work fine for you.

What I have used with great success is an Exped DAM. As you noted, it works best in the hammock when not fully inflated.

One thing an airmattress does is raise your center of gravity. I actually liked this in my HHEXPLUL since it got me high enough to easily see out of it, but it was less stable and it didn't take much motion to start rocking, but I liked that too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    The temps were not supposed to drop below 40 F during the night so I figured I would be good to go with this set-up. As luck would have it, not only did it rain that night, temps dropped to around 30 F and we got 3" of snow as well.

<snip>

If you are going to use the pad you will need to leave it slightly deflated so you do not slide off of it during the night, plus it conforms to your body better this way. I will say that I was confortable but I could have been a great deal warmer with my UQ/TQ combination that I got after this hang.
    I too have been quite comfortable with the set up I used down into the low 30's. My hunch is it would have taken me lower but no experience from which to report.

The biggest challenge is to not slide off the pad since thats when the cold shoulders occur. I simply create "wings" with spare clothing and my sit pad and it's not an issue.

I am a big fan of my UQ/TQ too, but not sure they would have actually kept me significantly warmer, YMMV.

Although I don't often carry the pad, opting for lighter weight UQ, it does give you the most comfortable option possible if for some reason you need to go to the ground.

thanks

Thanks for the input, guys. Here's what I'm up to. I'm thinking of a trip where I would definitely have to go to the ground a couple of times along the trail. So, I'd leave my UQ at home and use the POE pad and supplement with an SPE sort of set up with wings. I just wanted a good idea of warmth to expect with the pad while in the hammock but deflated quite a bit. In a worse case scenario, a little bit of CCF under the inflatable pad would give extra insurance.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Here's what I'm up to. I'm thinking of a trip where I would definitely have to go to the ground a couple of times along the trail. So, I'd leave my UQ at home and use the POE pad and supplement with an SPE sort of set up with wings. I just wanted a good idea of warmth to expect with the pad while in the hammock but deflated quite a bit. In a worse case scenario, a little bit of CCF under the inflatable pad would give extra insurance.

SoCal Mike
    Perfect plan for those areas where hanging won't always work. Good call.

• + New Posts