Thread: Which to Choose

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    KAQ New River

Which to Choose

I might have the opportunity to grab a HH in a couple of weeks but am a little confused on which to choose. I have only been in a eno, grand trunks, and DIY units. So I do not believe I have ever been in a Asym hammock. I am a little confused on what that exactly is except there is actually a head and a foot end and will lay differently on each side. With all of that aside I have the choice of a HH Safari Deluxe classic velcro or a HH Explorer deluxe with zipper. I am 5 10 and about 220 lbs if that adds any weight on the decision. What I need is possibly some opinions on what people think about the two and also what it is like in a bottom entry hammock. How does the velcro do, does it wear out, I have heard it reattaches on its on when you get it? Can you feel the velcro on the bottom while you are laying? What would be the advantage to the Safari Delux over the Explorer Deluxe? So there it is let me know what you guys prefer? Also if there are any good videos of the two models besides what is readily available on youtube send me the link as well.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Both of those are good choices. In my opinion, you are already off to a good start since these two are some of the larger hammocks that Hennessy offers. That being said, I own a classic bottom entry and in retrospect, would go with a zipper from now on. I love my zippers on my 2 Blackbirds as well as my switchback for ease of entry, Fixing underquilts, reaching out for something and simply lounging. I have a much more difficult time with the velcro entry for any of these. I like the concept but find it less practical for my needs. This all being said, you can choose the bottom entry, send out your hammock to 2QZQ's for a zipper modification and have the best of both worlds!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Ideally, you should be laying asymmetrically or diagonally in all the hammocks you've tried. The only difference is that on the Hennessy hammocks the design forces you (or at least strongly suggests) to lay diagonally by the placement of the tie outs on the sides of the hammock. Generally, your left shoulder will be closest to the edge and your legs will go out to the right edge.

Both of those hammocks are cut large and will hold your weight fine. Have you visited Hennessy's website? There is a lot of information there and detailed specs for both hammocks.

People have different opinions about the bottom entry. I had one for a while and it wasn't for me. I found it too hard to get out once I was in it and the velcro snagged on my clothes all the time. On the other hand, some people really love it. Personally, I find the zip entry gives you more options, but YMMV.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Howdy samwise61304. I've owned a HH Exped Azym with SS & 2QZQ #2mod for about 2 yrs. I'm close to your build 5'9" @ 230#ish.

I had the chance to briefly try an Expl. Where the Exped is a little tight for me but still comfy with the right hang & lay, the Expl was downright comfy. Don't know anything about the Safari.

what it is like in a bottom entry hammock
    As mentioned above and many times in prior discussions on this forum if you can only have on or the other the vast majority choose the side zip model. As you will notice I also got the mod to make mine a top entry also & enter the hammock from the top 99% of the time. I have had 1 or 2 times I was glad to have the bottom entry. If hanging on a steep incline or over a challenging surface the bottom entry has it's advantages. Also some with physical challenges prefer the bottom entry as you simply sit down, layback, lift your feet in & your set - no twisting required. Getting out takes a little more effort but after a few times it's quick & easy.

How does the velcro do, does it wear out, I have heard it reattaches on its on when you get it? Can you feel the velcro on the bottom while you are laying?
    My experience is The velcro system works flawlessly, really quite ingenious. You cannot feel the velcro since it is not exposed to you when in the hammock but depending on your hang & lay the seam can be felt on your left calf. Since I sleep with as little clothing as prudent & never get inside my coverings my bare legs are often touching the hammock. Even if this occurs it's not bad but simply readjusting your hang or position in the hammock rectifies the stiff ridge the seam can create. I did not have any issue with this in the Expl although I only spent a couple hrs in it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Swingblade; 09-23-2011 at 14:55.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    McCat Ultra
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Images
    Just for your info, my weight and height are the same as yours. I own 5 hammocks: a Blue Ridge camping hammock. a HH Expedition, a HH Explorer, a WBBB, and a SB. I bought the Expedition in 2003 and used it on a four-night kayak trip in 2004 down the Great Pee Dee. I bought the Explorer so that my six foot six inch son could camp out with me. (He never did.) I have used both many times and never found the bottom velcro closure to be a problem. I have stuck my foot through the opening while changing position but that didn't bother me. I have used a down sleeping bag as a TQ and have had some of it get caught in the opening but a quick pull and everything was back to normal. I have never noticed the opening while sleeping in either hammock. I liked the roominess in the Explorer and preferred it over the Expedition.

It's a toss-up now as to whether I like my WBBB or the Switchback the best.

Don't argue with the alligator until after you cross the river.

• + New Posts