HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard

WL Old Man Winter or wait for a Superfly

Greetings from New Hampshire. I've been debating a new tarp for months and through this site I've gained an over whelming amount of information. Currently, I use my standard HH backpacker tarp and through practice I have learned to keep the rain out but I want more. I started winter camping (on the ground) two years back and I want to bring my hammock with me this year. I've debated doors or no doors and I've decide doors because grizz beaks will add as much weight or more and like attachable doors the cost is more. Sorry off topic.

Wilderness logics Old Man Winter 126x112 at 18.6oz.--Superfly 132x120 19oz.
    I like the smaller size of Old Man but the Superfly per inch weighs less. Also, the Old Man has three tie-outs per side, while the Superfly has two--both have two panel pulls and tie-outs for the doors, so the Superfly in theory (all this is theory) will need two less stakes which means over all it will weigh less. Less stakes less work or will I get a tighter tarp with the more tie-outs? Do I need to use the middle tie-out (the cut of the tarp makes it look necessary)? I'm not the biggest weight finatic but I hate to wait--the Old Man winter is in stock and Warbonnet might not ship till the snow comes. They both come in at about the same cost. Anyone seen these tarps side by side? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks
    Last edited by threadlessclimber; 09-23-2011 at 18:40. Reason: can't spell

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    From the looks of the pics, the Old man winter tarp would need the middle tie out to get a taut pitch which means an extra couple of stakes as you mentioned. Based on your thought process I'd think the Superfly would be good for you if you do not need it in the near future.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just remember that the Old Man winter has a much longer bottom edge than the 126" of the ridgeline. That extra bottom edge length facilitates the creation of the doors when they are folded in and gives overall a little more room inside the tarp.

The Old Man winter is a relatively new tarp to the hammocking world, so there may not be much in the way of side by side comparisons with the current Warbonnet SuperFly.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have not seen the Old Man tarp. I do have a WL Tadpole and I can say without hesitation that the quality is as good or better than any I have seen. Absolutely flawless work. I used to sew quite a bit in my Navy days so I am accustomed to looking at work and looking for flaws and defects as part of the quality control that we did. The attention to detail and prompt return of emails is rare these days. I have had, at my door, the various items I ordered from Marty before the USPS site showed any progress of the package. Prepare yourself for the best customer service and product to be had if you choose to go with Wilderness Logics. If all this matters in your decision then get the Old Man Winter tarp. Just sayin.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH backpacker
    Tarp
    still looking
    Insulation
    SS
    Suspension
    standard
    After rereading my post it sounds like I've already made up my mind. I plan to use this more for wind and snow, so the more coverage of the Superfly has it in the lead but then I think about it for a few minutes and change my mind. Both seem to be great products. I wish I didn't over analyze every purchase. I don't recommend going grocery shopping with me. On the side-logics is not a word. Would my English teacher let me pass with that on my tarp?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by threadlessclimber View Post
    On the side-logics is not a word. Would my English teacher let me pass with that on my tarp?
    I wouldn't really care about passing grades out in the world. My survival mentor would give me a thumbs up, all high and dry under my 'Logics' tarp. Happynitude ain't a word either but that's how my WL Tadpole makes feel. Or is satisfiedacated, humm maybe ohhh I know- pleasednafied. Just Sayin.
    ' Logics'-indian word meaning-Living Outdoors Good In Critical Situations!
    Last edited by Two Tents; 09-26-2011 at 13:03.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    ' Logics'-indian word meaning-Living Outdoors Good In Critical Situations!

I like the way you spelled that out for us! If I were looking for a tarp for the wind and snow I would go with the Old Man Winter. Oh wait, I did! Only because I liked the added tie outs in the bottom middle. It really keeps the tarp from blowing in on me. So what if I carry two more stakes, I'll just pour a sip of water out of my bladder to make it up. No matter how tight the SF is it will move in more on you during a gust.

I have seen these side by side, and they are both built well. After using them I noticed that one main difference. My friend still has the SF, but he had WL to add 2 more tie outs....

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have an Old Man Winter Tarp and I went thru the same basic thought process in chosing the tarp. It got a work out this weekend at the Grayson Highland Hang as it rained Friday and Saturday nights. Saturday night was a gully washer and I stayed dry and I just let the doors hang down unstaked. I did use the side pulls on one side of the tarp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    And I might add,,you will get a Oldman Winter tarp,,a heck of alot quicker than about any tarp your looking at. If you send Wilderness Logics a email right now...you will get a answer for any and all questions,,by tonite sometime..try that elsewhere. Any modifications you want to make on any tarp Wilderness Logics makes can be done also,,they are great to work with and their workmanship is equal to any other manufacturers out there.. Love my oldman winter tarp in green. and Hanging in the smokies this weekend at 5000 or more feet to test it out for the first time this coming weekend. Can't wait!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39173 go there for pics of the Oldman Winter Tarp.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    marty at WL has insanely good customer service as ive been emailing him all day basically. you can give him a call too.

think about this: you dont have to use those extra tie outs, but in really bad weather it helps keep the sides from flapping and everything really sturdy.

and this is coming from a SF guy. i do like the camo tho, but i can say 100% that both places are going to give you great service, but with brandon moving right now and is a little backed up.

i can also say that i have a Tadpole tarp in my possession to be given away at my hang and ive looked it over. Awesome work, made right here in the USA, NC to be precise.

so, that doesnt help much....
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast