ENO DN
    Tarp
    TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    DIY/Down&ENO Vulca
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    When it shows up, would you be able to snap a picture and post it? I've been really curious about this. I've only seen primaloft in sheet form and this 'baffles' me.

Here's the source (or, at least a source).
    http://www.shopdownlite.com/wholesal...gs-p-3096.html
    Yes this is the place that I purchased it from. Also here is a little savings tip. I did a little research and found a discount coupon code for 10% off. if you order more than 150 dollars shipping is free. My order was only 35 with shipping at around 11 bucks. so with the discount it was around 8 or so. the coupon code to enter at check out is DORM11. (must be a college student discount) but hey it worked and I saved $3.50. My total came out to be around 42-43 or so.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    PapaSmurf, that's great info. Thanks! I think your IX + Primaloft idea is a good one. My limited experience with synthetic underquilts leads me to think that the heavier the quilt, the harder it is to fit to the hammock without air gaps, but I see a real need for a cheap summer-weight UQ.

Hangnout, the scrim that comes with sheet Primaloft isn't bonded to it, and IMO its main benefit is to keep the rolled primaloft from tangling with adjacent layers as it's being unrolled and sewn to fabric. There's even a question about whether the scrim is necessary while sewing, once the insulation is unrolled. Thanks to RamblinRev I now know to put the fabric on top of the layer of insulation while sewing. It doesn't catch in the feed dogs, but I used to have problems with it catching on the presser foot doing it the old way with the insulation layer on top.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Papasmurf i thing it's a good idea for summer weight UQ i agree with WV if it starts to get too heavy it might not be worth the weight

but i would like to see what you can come up with maybe a summer UQ under $100 and under 20oz ... that would be a hot item with members that can't dish out $200+ for a down UQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    There's nothing shabby about 550 performance.The best bags ten years ago were filled with 650-rated down. If they were used much, 550 would be less than a 15% degradation (assuming loft = performance.)

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    >snip<
    I'm currently thinking about an underquilt tutorial using this fill combined with IX for Scouts, Car campers, and folks who just can't afford the good stuff. Would there be interest in the HF community for heavier budget underquilts and top quilts?[/QUOTE]

Also us folks looking at a lot of dampness. I just picked up a pair of poncho liners to play with. I'm starting to think of a multilayer TQ with a PL, "poncho" wind block layer, and a double wt PL equivalent. Mix and match as needed.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Its not always "affording" the so called good stuff. I decided I'd use synthetics on my diy tq and uq for personal reasons. I decide on primaloft after my wife got a Patagonia jacket with it. She's cold natured, and it packs down very nicely, plus keep her chill off...

Now I see I have an other options to think about, loose fill....
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm currently thinking about an underquilt tutorial using this fill combined with IX for Scouts, Car campers, and folks who just can't afford the good stuff. Would there be interest in the HF community for heavier budget underquilts and top quilts?
    Sounds very interesting... I'd be interested in about 12-18oz of the stuff to experiment with...

Group Buy anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post
    Its not always "affording" the so called good stuff. I decided I'd use synthetics on my diy tq and uq for personal reasons. I decide on primaloft after my wife got a Patagonia jacket with it. She's cold natured, and it packs down very nicely, plus keep her chill off...
    It's cost to performance in my mind... like PS said, Car camping, damp environments...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Ground!! Oh my.
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ciphoto View Post

Now I see I have an other options to think about, loose fill....
    I too began thinking about PrimaLoft (for a TQ) after getting my Patagonia jacket. Does anyone know what type of PrimaLoft is in the loose fill?

From PrimaLoft's website there are a bunch of different types ranging from Infinity to One, with One having the best performance by far.
    http://www.primaloft.com/en/performance/products.html

For example, One has a clo/oz/yard2 value of 0.92 when dry and 0.90 when wet. Going down just one level to Sport has a clo/oz/yard2 value of 0.79 when dry and 0.72 when wet.

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Cheers to those working out some details on this.

Very interesting.

I'll be watching as this develops.

Hammock
    Ground!! Oh my.
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    LeighLo TQ
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    I sent a query in to DownLite to find out what PrimaLoft is in the loose fill.

What do you think about the differences between PrimaLoft One and Sport? One has more insulating capability but acts as a windbreaker too (I assume because the fibers are so fine). Sport doesn't have windblocking capability according to their website.

Is the windblocking capability of PrimaLoft One going to cause condensation problems?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast