Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mosquitoes are vile

I went to the not so distant hang place of choice for a nice afternoon hang, and the skeeters were just unbearable. I got the hennessy set up and hopped inside to escape the little blood suckers and the only thing you hear was literally their buzzing. I will return, but when it's a bit cooler.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx View Post
    I went to the not so distant hang place of choice for a nice afternoon hang, and the skeeters were just unbearable. I got the hennessy set up and hopped inside to escape the little blood suckers and the only thing you hear was literally their buzzing. I will return, but when it's a bit cooler.
    They are a vile evil creature for sure. Permethrin on most fabric ( clothing and/or hammock) and Picaridin on exposed skin have greatly diminished the misery they cause me these last couple of years. They often seem to even keep their distance when I use this combo. But best of all is when it is just too cold for the evil ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    They are a vile evil creature for sure. Permethrin on most fabric ( clothing and/or hammock) and Picaridin on exposed skin have greatly diminished the misery they cause me these last couple of years. They often seem to even keep their distance when I use this combo. But best of all is when it is just too cold for the evil ones.
    yep, they cant get through the hammock once I'm in there, but setting it up was torture,I literally heard little else but their buzzing. That is just wrong...

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    happened to me today too. I was totally dissapointed in my failed hang due to them.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Therma-Cell's work wonders, best thing ever made...

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Have you tried using Bounce fabric softener sheets for insect repellent?

Hammock
    byer amazon, eno doublenest, nano 7
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Insulation
    marmot pinnacle 15
    Suspension
    webs and biners
    As lousy as they are, they're what pushed me to my first DIY setup...

-pg
    how do you get the forest ready for the party?
    ...you spruce it up!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In 20 years of living in New Jersey, I have never seen the mosquitoes so bad as they have been the last month. Ever since Hurricane Irene dumped its 10 inches on our state, the mosquitoes have been unbearable. Every day they get worse.
    It's September 26, for God's sake! They should be gone by now. Where is fall? Where is the cold weather?

I have tried to hang the hammock in the back yard, but no mosquito net can block these beasts. Clouds of them fly into the hammock before I can zip up the net. So hanging in the back yard has been out of the question the last month.

Staying in the house isn't much better. Swing the back door open, and it's as if the mosquitoes have been waiting for that opportunity. You can literally see them swarming to get into the house before the door shuts. I'm getting bit in places I never knew a mosquito could bite. They literally go up my pants leg and bite my nether regions. The mosquitoes don't bite my wife, nor do they bite my son. The swarms gather only for me and my sweet blood.

Maybe this is just an anomaly, a weird amount of rain and moisture that has caused ideal conditions for mosquitoes. On the other hand, I wonder if this is what global warming will look like - with malaria becoming commonplace in the northeastern US.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I had a good outing in that Adirondacks last weekend. Not one mosquito or black fly!! Unbelievable
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I always thought of mosquitoes as "sneaky little bstrds". Man I don't like them one bit. I always tell people that are afraid of ticks that I will take their ticks if they will take my mosquitoes. Its not unusual to have them up here well in to November, depends on the year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast