Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was thinking about sandwiching a strip of ripstop between the two insulation layers and a stitch down them lengthwise. I would keep ends on either sides long enough to sew into the shell to have a center anchor.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I just had an idea. What if you tacked each layer to its respective shell in spots? That way there wouldn't be any thin spots because where one was tacked, the other layer would be full height.
    I hope that makes sense, because I really don't think I can draw a diagram of that in Paint.
    Like you, I want to avoid doing the yarn thing if at all possible. I'll keep you posted if I do anything with that idea.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Mike, can you elaborate on this a tiny bit? Do you match the ends and leave it "loose" in the middle?
    Good question, Rick. I should have covered that.

If your outer shell is 3" wider than the inner, while you're hemming, simply fold 1/2" of the outer shell at 6 different spots, spaced evenly along the edge. That will make the two shells the same length in the hem and both shells should come out even at the corners.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post
    I just had an idea. What if you tacked each layer to its respective shell in spots? That way there wouldn't be any thin spots because where one was tacked, the other layer would be full height.
    I hope that makes sense, because I really don't think I can draw a diagram of that in Paint.
    Like you, I want to avoid doing the yarn thing if at all possible. I'll keep you posted if I do anything with that idea.

PF
    I like that idea. I think it'll make it easier to put the entire thing together when sandwiching the top and bottom pieces.

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Primaloft sounds like an interesting down alternate.

I am in need of quilts and choose not to go with down for several reasons…
    1) it is no good wet
    2) cost vases weight for my three season application
    3) I have no way to blow down into anything

>>>””the outer nylon shell at least 3" wider than the inner layer of both. Otherwise your Primaloft is going to become Punyloft.””<<<

Please define ‘punyloft’ … Is that as in 'primaloft' compressed to zero around the outer edges??

Maybe after the smoke settles on your design post a sketch with dimensions…Please.

Thanks,
    John
    Travels with Samantha

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Good question, Rick. I should have covered that.

If your outer shell is 3" wider than the inner, while you're hemming, simply fold 1/2" of the outer shell at 6 different spots, spaced evenly along the edge. That will make the two shells the same length in the hem and both shells should come out even at the corners.
    Mike I am embarrassed to say I just can't visualize this. Can you show with paper?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64&quot;whoopie sling
    It's sewing darts into the edge as you go.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Ah hah!!!!!! Thanks PF. I was thinking long folds not lat folds. You da man.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK,

So now I am going to sew a line of stitching on each side of the quilt lengthwise as far in as my sewing machine arm will allow. The top piece of insulation will be sewn into the top piece of the shell and the same will be down for the bottom. This should create a nice lock where the insulation won't shift. In addition, it won't allow for air to get through to the inside as it would with sew through construction.

I suppose I could do the same thing across the width instead. I will debate this but I feel like going down the length is a safer bet. Maybe I'll just go with both.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how the disaster goes down!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    After reading the post on darting, I am now paranoid that my UQ idea won't work so well

I was planning on having a top shell and a bottom shell piece. Each will have a layer of insulation sewn to it as previously described. Along the length ends of the quilt I was going to sew a channel using gross grain. Through each channel I was going to run a length of shock cord. This will allow the quilt to side up and down the channel for easy adjustment.

To hang the UQ, there will be cordlocks on either end of the shock cord which can be used to attach to my whoopie sling.

Is this crazy talk?

Should I be darting?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12