Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Personally I think you're going to want to end up with an UQ of some sort, if nothing else, for comfort. I felt like I lost a lot of the benefits of sleeping in a hammock with a full length pad under me. The pad creates pressure points that the hammock itself does not. That being said, many people get by with a pad and "wings". The major problem with the pad is that it doesn't cover your shoulders (hence the wings). Even a negative degree sleeping bag will compress under you loosing its loft and insulating abilities.

I own the Grand Truck Ultra Light and the GT Double Parachute and I must say the double parachute is 100% better. From Grand Trunk, “The ultra light is also made of polyester whereas many of our other hammocks are made with nylon. Nylon versus polyester gives more, is softer yet stronger, long story short…much more comfortable which I believe you have experienced with other hammocks. As you move up in options, unfortunately the price has to as well due to stronger materials, larger sizes, comfort, and so on.”

A sleeping bag that keeps you warm on the ground, should keep your TOP warm in a hammock.
    Get a hammock and start testing. You didn’t mention how thick your pad was, but if it’s not insulated, you might want that closed cell pad too.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

This is a Grand Trunk UL and a Mountain Hardware sleeping bag setup in a pod style.

If your sleeping bag has a 2 way zipper, this is much easier than a pad IMHO. Unzip the bottom slightly, run the hammock through the small hole, hop in and zip up.

A bit more confining, but things aren't slip sliding all around as they tend to do with a pad in my experience.

YMMV

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I agree with Tendertoe... That would probably be the easiest way to go.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY dbl layer Gathered end
    Tarp
    The Cheap Kind
    Insulation
    WM CCF, reflectex
    Suspension
    Straps & RB
    Thanks all for the comments. I do feel a little better now. There is an UQ in the plans eventually, however I'd like to see more gear in action and see what works and what doesn't. I'll probably end up building one rather than buying one as the funds are limited. That is kind of my intentions behind buying the TG UL as a first hammock. I'll probably end up building a hammock once I get everything figured out. I like making my own equipment especially when it works.

I've heard the stories about folks who make lots of their own equipment only to have a closet full of stuff that doesn't work correctly. (glad I'm not one of those poor souls)

The sleeping bag around the hammock is a good idea but my cold weather bag is not a double zipper (it's an old military bag). Maybe I'll find an old sleeping bag @ goodwill for nothing and can start hacking it up as an experiment. I would eventually like to have a down UQ but I'll get everything in line and in order first. Get all of the quirks out of the way before I waste $8-10/oz on down fill (note the above mentioned folks with closets full of home made gear )

JBizzle- MY CCF pad is about 1/2-3/4" thick and the Big Agnes is 2.5" thick. I have an older really soft CCF that I have hacked for various projects that is 3/8-1/2" thick that may actually work better for this purpose.

Again, thanks for all the help, keep it coming. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

pax,
    lost
    "The question that oft' makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12