The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp

Mount Rainier National Park. WOW!

So forest fires in Oregon chased my wife and I northwards and what better place to land than Mount Rainier National Park. We left on a rainy Sunday afternoon after a frantic packing session in which I forgot all sauces for our lunches and dinners and the cheeses for the crackers. I don't think I lived that down the whole week. So we spent the first night in our car to wake up and get to the Carbon River Ranger station early to pick up our back country camping passes and pay our park entry fees, $35 seemed a bit steep for both. Then we were off.

The start of our loop-ish trip began at Mowich Lake and while a picturesque lake the campground attached left a bit to be desired. The campsites resembled nothing short of a druid dance around a central pole. Each identical to the next very close together with raised perfectly leveled platforms. It must have taken the Army Corp of Engineers to pull it off. The worst part for us is Not a Tree nor pair of trees in the camping area. Luckily though we were not staying there only our car was.

We made our way down the Wonderland trail and then took the Spray Park trail up and over the northern flank of Mt Rainier. May I say what a beautiful area, with the mists the low vegetation, small ponds of water and the rocks laying around I was half expecting to hear bagpipe music and see some highland warriors descend out of the mist. On this leg of our journey we walked across snow fields, and met a fearless Ptarmigan. We ended up arriving late Monday evening just as the sun went down at Carbon River Camp. We were able to set up our hammocks at this location although with our set up I had to use a gift from my friend Gary_R to expand coverage over my storage shelf. Sorry didn't get a pic but thanks to Gary for the tarp.

The next morning (Tuesday) we left camp and went on our shortest day up to Mystic Lake. May I say that the Carbon Glacier (which is the lowest Glacier south of Canada and north of Mexico) was absolutely gorgeous. Most of my camera shots where of this Glacier or of Mt Rainier a couple even included both. This glacier certainly earns its name by an almost graphite quality to its coloring. Absolutely amazing. The trail also had several surprises for us including a wonderful meadow in which I saw my first Marmot which was one of my key goals to this trip. Also we ran across a trail maintenance crew who where being supported by none other than a helicopter. After that the day would have seemed almost anti climactic were it not for the view across the lake of some fellow hikers swimming/ cleaning themselves in dishabille. We were then able to set up our hammocks and have a great night sleeping except for the little mouse that walked its way into my gear hammock and licked my empty drink flavor packet, completely ignoring the Jolly Ranchers I had accidentally left in pocket of the borrowed backpack. Oops my bad but I did get to knock a mouse off a tree, don't worry he was fine and came back to nibble the package I had not found yet again.

On Wednesday we had a day of ups and downs to Berkeley Park Campsite. On the way we passed Winthrop Glacier and it was active dropping rocks and such down its face. The long slog up Granite Creek to the pass and into Berkeley Park. Wow what an amazing view and what greeted us was another high point of our trip. There was this beautiful bear grazing in the meadows below us. Too bad I didn't have a telephoto lens. This was where we had to start tenting it. I have rarely had a more uncomfortable night of sleeping than that night.

Thursday was our longest day at almost 12 miles we hiked from Berkley Park to **** Creek Camp just about opposite Carbon Glacier. My knees started doing some massive complaining on the downhill and I made it into camp limping quite badly.

Our last day was another long day at 10 miles from **** Creek Camp up through Ipsut Pass and back to Mowich lake. This was also the day we met the most day hikers while we limped back to our car and then drove home.

We learned quite a bit about ourselves on this trip. My wife's hiking boots don't work. She ended up with quite the collection of blisters, blackened toes and what looks like a blister under her toe nail. I found the cure for a blister problem that I have been having in the form of wicking toe socks (Thanks to Injinji your products are a miracle to me.) We also learned quite a bit about Mount Rainier National Park. Not all campsites will accommodate hammocks, so if you plan on going make sure you get individual accounts of each campsite to plan your route, otherwise you may end up on the ground and regretting it.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Nice pics. Thanks for posting the TR. Glad you both had a good time, and I hope her blisters and black nails don't dissuade her from future trips.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Great pictures! It's good that you mentioned that you learned something about yourselves. That's often something people forget to talk about.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    byer amazon, eno doublenest, nano 7
    Tarp
    maccat micro
    Insulation
    marmot pinnacle 15
    Suspension
    webs and biners
    Definitely good photos!

the $35 does sound a bit steep, but it looks like it was worth it!

-pg
    how do you get the forest ready for the party?
    ...you spruce it up!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    nice man. glad your trip brought great views, some hmmk time and life skills learned. catch ya soon for a beer and stories.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    What a great trip and fantastic pictures! Thanks for sharing!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Great pictures & TR. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, DIY
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the pics and report. It is beautiful there, I visited in June, but we just went for the day to the paradise area. But I have a son in Seattle and we hope to do some of the wonderland next year.
    "truth is uncontainable, and inexpressible. It neither is nor is not.
    This unformulated principle is the foundation of the different systems of all the sages."
    Diamond Sutra

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    nice looking trip! I hope to make it back west of the Mississippi before too long
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Images
    Hard to beat that awesome scenery! Thanks for the report and pics!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast