Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another indoor/daily hammock use question

Hi all, Sorry if this has been posted before but I didn't see anything when I searched. For those of you who sleep in your hammock inside, what do you use to stay warm? I tend to get cold in my bed with a memory foam pad underneath me and am beginning to wonder if I need an underquilt even for indoors, or if something like a sleeping bag would work. I'm a bit of a hammock newb, so I get that the sleeping bag is less effective when compressed, but I don't know if it would be as big of a problem indoors when the temp shouldn't really ever get below 60-65. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I've seen UQ's - can DIY and use just about anything you want since weight wouldn't be an issue.

I have an old school sleeping bag and handmade corduroy quilt that I lay on top of.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We use underquilts on our indoor hammocks. Genuine Draft uses one year round and I use one during the cool months. With a good quality Brazilian (cotton), you don't need much. The open weaves like Mayans and Nicaraguans may require a touch more insulation. You can make something that will work fine for probably less than $20 and a little sweat equity.
    Trust nobody!

Yeah I was thinking of rigging up something using an old comforter to experiment a bit. I just see all these indoor hammock pictures with no UQ and I felt like I must have been doing something wrong Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    I just sleep on top of a piece of fleece when its chilly, but my hammock also hangs close to the radiator (and I'm a warm sleeper). The heat comes up and keeps my butt warm. Kind of a nice set up, now that I think about it!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Oshi, welcome aboard from another fulltimer. When I first moved to a hammock inside I was using my old hiking hammock and ended up sewing an insulated double layer to the bottom but only 6 1/2' long. My wife has claimed it and I'm now in my work -in -progress new hiking hammock with it's UQ. We live with the AC on 75 degrees and a fan blowing on the hammocks. Some of us have been tagging anything to do with indoor hanging with the tag 'home', give that a try and see what comes up for you. Enjoy your indoor hang!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

I have a heavy cotton brazilian and need bottom insulation once the outside temp goes around 40-50F. I get a cold draft from my nearby windows that saturates my back and legs. Quite uncomfortable.

For now, I'm just laying on top of a wool blanket inside the hammock. Wrap it over my shoulders, sit down, pivot in, and straighten out the lumps. Works ok. Down comforter on top.

I've tried hangin a second hammock underneath with the blanket between, but thats a nasty hassle I cant seem to get right.

What I'd really like is an insulated (layered) one-piece hammock. Take down the summer swinger and swap in the warm one. It doesnt look like anyone makes such a beast though. My next idea is a cheap spare comforter safety pinned underneath with enough slack between each attachment point. Not sure how that might work out yet, but seems like a plausible theory.

Proper under-quilts seem too involved or expensive or troublesome. But then I've never seen one in person.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    You can't go wrong with an UQ.

Less to fuss with and your setup is ready to go to the outdoors at anytime.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fibre
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
    You can't go wrong with an UQ.

Less to fuss with and your setup is ready to go to the outdoors at anytime.
    +1 to that... quick, easy, familiar and you can spend time dialling in what suits you best.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    CF by HG
    Insulation
    Burrow/Phoenix
    I have used both a 1/4" GG CCF pad and an UQ. Both work fine. I actually prefer the pad indoors. I don't like the shock cords on the UQ pushing against my head at night. The pad also helps me with the dreaded calf pressure feeling as well. YMMV.

To clarify my statement above, I use a DL hammock so the pad pretty much stays in place. I also trimmed the corners of the pad. This allows the pad to lay diagonal to match my sleeping position.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast