Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    moving the cords from the end of the hammock inwards along the ridgeline seemed to help. the uq cords are almost vertical from the rl. this means it's looseralong the sides but the cold spot under my lower back is gone. I'll attach a thin cord to keep the attachment points at the same spot.
    I'm not used to fighting cold spots at my lower back since mine were more often under the butt or nearer the ends. How flat do you lay in your hammock? In my WBBB, the flat lay combined with snug suspension stretches the suspension enough that it hugs very snugly all along underneath me. It sounds like you have a pocket formed between two snug regions (butt and shoulders), and I dont experience that in my Blackbird.

Triangle Thingies could be your best friend if this is your problem. I love mine since I can use them to pull my Incubator into a semi-asym alignment. I have the line in the "triangle leg" that connects to my left shoulder and right foot areas tighter than the ones going to my right shoulder and left foot areas. This effectively pulls the quilt slightly off-axis. They also help to pull up instead of just out, which I think would help your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Why don't folks attach their under quilts with a series of grosgrain ribbons along both sides of the hammock and under quilt? I've done this with DIY under quilts and it seems to work fine. That way, there are no gaps or sags as the ties keep the long sides of the hammock and the long sides of the under quilt together. Shock cord on the short ends of the under quilt keep it tight but still stretches with the hammock. Makes sense to me, but no one seems to do this.
    People dont do this generally because of the added weight, added complexity, and because it can make entrance and exit from hammock more difficult depending on the hammock...especially at night. Also, it shouldn't be necesary once you spend enough time fiddling with your suspension. If you were set on trying it, I would use some 3/32 shockcord or even 1.75mm Zing-it mason line instead of grosgrain to eliminate weight. Plus, you could simply push the shockcord to the side for getting in/out the the hammock.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    One size fits all doesn't fit anybody very well.

As mentioned, get a test dummy, and be prepared to do whatever needs to be done to the suspension to make the quilt do what you need it to, up to and including making a new suspension.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    I would use some 3/32 shockcord or even 1.75mm Zing-it mason line instead of grosgrain to eliminate weight. Plus, you could simply push the shockcord to the side for getting in/out the the hammock.
    Maybe I'm not describing it right. I'm talking about adding 5 inch pieces of grosgrain every 16 inches to the sides of the hammock and to the sides of the underquilt. Then just tying the underquilt on to the hammock. I don't think weight could possibly be an issue and there would be no problem getting in and out of the hammock. I'm not saying it's the end-all be-all answer, but it sounds like you were getting the wrong idea. Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 10-11-2011 at 08:20.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I added "lifters" to my Winter Yeti to assure a tight fit. See it in this video at 3:00 minutes in.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Str1der View Post
    How flat do you lay in your hammock?
    It sounds like you have a pocket formed between two snug regions (butt and shoulders)
    Triangle Thingies could be your best friend if this is your problem.
    I'm laying slightly banana-shaped. I've been thinking about this a bit after reading about laying flat, but I'll try to fix one thing at the time. I've felt rested after a night in the hammock, so the sleeping position is no big deal right now, unless it causes other problems. The way you explain it sounds reasonable.

By hanging the UQ suspension over the ridgeline, I'm trying to get the same effect as the Triangle Thingies (i.e. pulling the UQ ends up rather than outwards).

I didn't take pictures of the whole setup, but here's a detail of one of the experiments. The thin shock cord from the UQ goes up, through a tiny S-biner (a loop of some kind of cord would work in the same way, I guess) and outwards toward the end of the hammock where they are attached to the end of the hammock (clipped with a biner around the suspension line). The thick shock cords tied to the CRL are from the non-removable bug net of the DD Frontline hammock.

Since the S-biner want to move outwards, they have to be kept in place with the knot of the bug net cord, or with some cord between them (no big forces here).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Maybe I'm not describing it right. I'm talking about adding 5 inch pieces of grosgrain every 16 inches to the sides of the hammock and to the sides of the underquilt. Then just tying the underquilt on to the hammock. I don't think weight could possibly be an issue and there would be no problem getting in and out of the hammock. I'm not saying it's the end-all be-all answer, but it sounds like you were getting the wrong idea. Thanks for the feedback!
    I did have the wrong image in my head. I was thinking something similar to what Shug did, but he used the shockcord like I was recomending.

I found this video showin what I mean about the tight suspension actually lifting the hammock when empty (at app. 3 min). I don't know if that would solve the issue or not, but it's worth a try since it adds no weight or complexity at all.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=38148
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    One word for cheap and easy and reversible that may help you easily learn what a seal can do:

Clothespins.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Insulation
    Down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    One word for cheap and easy and reversible that may help you easily learn what a seal can do:

Clothespins.
    I said do what, now?
    My Flickr photos Outdoors collection

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    A half dozen clothespins used to clip the hem of the UQ to the hammock, holding it up and fastening the edges sothere can be no air-gap, will prove to you whether the seal and air gap are the problem. If you are as warm with the clothespins as without them, the seal they secured was already there.

I will not forget Knottie's expierience-led advice as a reassurance: Expanding: You are as easily and likely to well figure out by yourself --and only with yourself --how to hang your underquilt as you are to give the back of your head a good haircut with the use of mirrors or turn around to watch your shadow leave a room. ie. Get a friend. Walk around and study the fit with her in the hmmck. Adjust. Learn. Switch places. Listen. Tune. The object is to see that it can get hung so there is no need for those clothespins.

Paul of AHE has infinitely more experience in this than I do. Looking at hammocks and the furrows, I have my doubts that everyone is as well served by UQs without gaskets -- what are called "draft tubes" on sleeping bags -- but the hmmck world has told me my sense of it is wrong. I freely admit I have not visited even one occupied hammock with an UQ under it except for my own. And I can inspect it as the occupant no better than I can give myself a haircut in a mirror.

I hang and depend every night on an AHE 2/3 Lost River synth UQ to be insulated underneath. I think I'm better off with the foot end cord up over the hood of the Clark, about where one of Paul's triangle thingies would be on other hammocks. For the head end, I am arresting drift of the shock cord and UQ with keepers, long Velcro ties I keep attached to tie-out loops on the Clark.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    I'm having a small problem with my Jarbridge UQ (but I think it's a configuration problem, not a problem with the UQ itself).

I set everything up and tighten the shock cord on the UQ, I even wrap the shock cord around the lock to prevent it from slipping.

But during the night, the UQ slips down and there's an air gap between the hammock and the UQ. Even though the air there is warm (when I stick my hand down), the hammock gets cool/cold (lower back and thighs). I even tried a piece of string over the ridge line to keep the UQ up, but that didn't help. From what I can see. the lenght of the shock cord is the same (i.e. no slip through the cord lock)

I'm using a DD Frontline. The UQ is clipped to the whoopie slings as close to the hammock as possible.

I don't really know where to start adjusting. I was thinking that maybe the sag wasn't enough, but the CRL is as short as possible. Do I have to have more tension on the UQ's suspension (which seems hard to accomplish without the shock cord slipping)?

Any ideas?
    I just made a DIY hammock and I was having this issue. I do not know much about this UQ, but I fixed my issue by sewing in elastic across the width on either end. The elastic now allows the UQ to cling to my hammock and creates a nice seal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast