Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was in the Ozarks enjoying my bridge hammock

I think of a bivy (one that you use on the ground) as something that increases the temperature rating of my bag and also provides some protection from wind and moisture. It also holds you pad in place so you don't roll off it in the night. It's mostly a winter thing.

So a hammock/bivy has the features that a hammock sock has. I just don't see the point of having the hammock sock be separate from the
    hammock...
    with respect to the underbody, I think you get more insulating value from dead air between the sock and the hammock body down there than you'd get with a breathable but water resistant hammock body alone.

Whether the insulation gain is large enough to justify the weight of an extra underbody or any other of a number of imponderables I can't say. But I do think there is a point to it.

Grizz

I made one last winter:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2059

I also have a bivi and a net hammock. That works well and involves not a lot of additional cost or weight. But then nor did my bridge bag and that's more thermally efficient.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    ZDP, that is one cool system you came up with! Somehow I missed that thread.

I had thought about something like this at one point. My concern was that with so many cords I might have trouble with tangling. That's when I switched over to the bridge-based bivy idea.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    with respect to the underbody, I think you get more insulating value from dead air between the sock and the hammock body down there than you'd get with a breathable but water resistant hammock body alone.

Whether the insulation gain is large enough to justify the weight of an extra underbody or any other of a number of imponderables I can't say. But I do think there is a point to it.

Grizz
    The dead air space is an interesting thing to consider. My tendency is to rely on the CCF pad under me for all the insulation from the bottom. In fact I don't much care what the hammock body is made off per se (the part under me). The purpose of the DWR material would be mostly to protect from cold wind in the area above where the pad is, the sides and the top of the hammock/bivy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123