GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Quick pad question

Hey gang, I want to pick up some foam pad material to be my only bottom insulation, inside the hammock, and using a good down sleeping bag on top. From the sticky at the top of this forum I got this link:
    Landau Foam

From this what do you suggest for temps of 25* and up? I was thinking of going with the 1/2" thickness. It's 60" long which would cover shoulders to feet for me at 5'8". Is 1 yard wide enough at the shoulders? Obviously I can trim it to be narrower towards my feet. The price is cheap enough I could also just order 2 yards and have lots of extra to make some sit pads or whatever.

Thanks for your advice!

EDIT: I also have an old Ridgerest pad already that's only 20" wide so it's really narrow, but I suppose I could get some extra foam and make some shoulder wings. Maybe I do need an SPE, but was trying to keep this extra simple.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    I use a minicell foam pad which has very similar construction and properties to the Landau foam. 1/4" is thick enough to get to freezing and maybe below with base layer and a good SB used as a top quilt. 36" is more than wide enough to wrap shoulders and hips.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Don't suppose anyone knows the volume difference between a 1/4" pad and a 1/2" pad when rolled up? I'm thinking of going with the 1/2" foam for my pad just to be on the safe side, but don't want it to be huge when rolled up as it'll be a pain to pack.

Images
    An option is two 1/4" pads - one for warmer weather, both for colder weather. Pads will be bulky, put two thinner pads may be more managable strapped to the side of your pack than one thick pad - just something to consider.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Hey gang, I want to pick up some foam pad material to be my only bottom insulation, inside the hammock, and using a good down sleeping bag on top. From the sticky at the top of this forum I got this link:
    Landau Foam

From this what do you suggest for temps of 25* and up? I was thinking of going with the 1/2" thickness. It's 60" long which would cover shoulders to feet for me at 5'8". Is 1 yard wide enough at the shoulders? Obviously I can trim it to be narrower towards my feet. The price is cheap enough I could also just order 2 yards and have lots of extra to make some sit pads or whatever.

Thanks for your advice!

EDIT: I also have an old Ridgerest pad already that's only 20" wide so it's really narrow, but I suppose I could get some extra foam and make some shoulder wings. Maybe I do need an SPE, but was trying to keep this extra simple.
    how much does this stuff wieghneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Wally world sells a waffle patterned blue CCF pad that is 24" wide and weights 15oz. and cost about $13. At 6ft2 I find it wide enough for me in my BB
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts