Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

underquilt suggestions / trail days

Hey folks, I am looking into getting an Eno Eagle Doublenest +rainfly & bugnet relatively soon, specifically in time for Trail Days.

Can anyone suggest a good budget solution for outfitting that rig with an under quilt? Better yet, Is there anyone going to TD who wants to unload a used under quilt for a bit of cash?

Most of my camping is done out in the Seattle area, so I don't typically have to deal with super cold temps, and the longest stretch I'd be using the camping hammock would be like four nights in a row, so I don't think I need anything too fancy....

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
    Hey folks, I am looking into getting an Eno Eagle Doublenest +rainfly & bugnet relatively soon, specifically in time for Trail Days.

Can anyone suggest a good budget solution for outfitting that rig with an under quilt? Better yet, Is there anyone going to TD who wants to unload a used under quilt for a bit of cash?

Most of my camping is done out in the Seattle area, so I don't typically have to deal with super cold temps, and the longest stretch I'd be using the camping hammock would be like four nights in a row, so I don't think I need anything too fancy....
    If you're getting a tarp for your hammock, you'd do yourself well to avoid the ENO DryFly tarp. I used it for a while until I could afford something better. It provides little coverage, especially when compared with other tarps like the MacCat, Black Cat, SWT, JRB Cat tarp, etc. Definitely look at a different tarp if that's what you were considering. I do like their hammocks, though. Oh, and welcome aboard!

Images
    I could be talked into unloading my JRB nest at Trail days.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

I actually have the ENO singlenest, w/bugnet. Anywho, underquilts
    I know i'll get hell for this, but here goes. The purpose is to keep your underside warm and obviously breeze free? Hmm. With all due respect to those who want to spend big dough, let em, but for me I've realized that you don't need to spend big $$$ for the best results, Ex; underquilt, just get a military issue survival blanket, fold it in half length wise, bickety bam, underquilt. Oh and if it gets really cold on top, just unfold, then place other half over the top, what a concept, oh yeah-look to spend $11.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    Quote Originally Posted by locorogue View Post
    I actually have the ENO singlenest, w/bugnet. Anywho, underquilts
    I know i'll get hell for this, but here goes. The purpose is to keep your underside warm and obviously breeze free? Hmm. With all due respect to those who want to spend big dough, let em, but for me I've realized that you don't need to spend big $$$ for the best results, Ex; underquilt, just get a military issue survival blanket, fold it in half length wise, bickety bam, underquilt. Oh and if it gets really cold on top, just unfold, then place other half over the top, what a concept, oh yeah-look to spend $11.
    I don’t have an underquilt, but I’d guess you’ll be hearing about weight & bulk issues shortly.

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

huh

Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I don’t have an underquilt, but I’d guess you’ll be hearing about weight & bulk issues shortly.

Say what?

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I stand corrected.

I figured you’d be hearing from underquilt owners saying a heavy blanket would not compare to a quality underquilt, being both heavier and bulkier.

Or did you mean a ‘space’ blanket?
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

survival blanket

Quote Originally Posted by 6 feet over View Post
    I stand corrected.

I figured you’d be hearing from underquilt owners saying a heavy blanket would not compare to a quality underquilt, being both heavier and bulkier.

Or did you mean a ‘space’ blanket?
    I meant the military issue survival blanket, o.d. on one side and aluminum on the other, rip-stop nylon throughout, grommets on all 4 corners, approx 9 oz. nice jeep by the way, i have an 89' wrangler.
    Last edited by locorogue; 03-16-2009 at 23:32. Reason: because

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    ...military issue survival blanket, o.d. on one side and aluminum on the other, rip-stop nylon throughout, grommets on all 4 corners, approx 9 oz.
    Gotta get me one of those!

[Hmmm... wonder if I can get to Delks surplus store and back during lunch?]
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I meant the military issue survival blanket, o.d. on one side and aluminum on the other, rip-stop nylon throughout, grommets on all 4 corners, approx 9 oz. nice jeep by the way, i have an 89' wrangler.
    Since we don't all live in warm, sunny California (I wish though!), how do you thing that survival blanket would fair at 0*F outside?

Summertime where I hike, it would work...spring, fall, and WINTER no way. A hanger needs more, ALOT more, insulation than that.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast