Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Very Premature, but considering a No Sniveler

Hi all,

I am intrigued by the Jacks R Better No Sniveler series.

The conversion into wearable insulation is a major potential weight savings!

I'm fantasizing about a High Sierra No Sniveler as a winter Top Quilt / Worn Insulation for winter hammocking.

The JRB Hood & Sleeves only make it that much more appealing.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks,
    Sean

Images
    My No Sniveler is a cherished piece of my Fall/Winter set up. I've used it as an UQ, TQ, and serape and love the versatility and warmth this quilt provides.

I had it as my TQ at Dolly Sods last weekend and woke to temps at 35F. I was one cozy, warm, and happy camper!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post

Thoughts? Suggestions? Experiences?
    All of the above.

It's a great piece of gear.

Get one.

Have had mine for close to 5 years and like American Express, I don't leave home without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    My No Sniveler is a cherished piece of my Fall/Winter set up. I've used it as an UQ, TQ, and serape and love the versatility and warmth this quilt provides.

I had it as my TQ at Dolly Sods last weekend and woke to temps at 35F. I was one cozy, warm, and happy camper!
    +1

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, those are some very positives reviews ;P

Might I ask what "flavor" of No Sniveler you have?

I was leaning toward the High Sierra figuring "I have a 3 season UQ, if I'm gonna spend the cash on a dual use item I want to really extend my temp range."

Sean

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

I was leaning toward the High Sierra figuring "I have a 3 season UQ, if I'm gonna spend the cash on a dual use item I want to really extend my temp range."

Sean
    Not sure what flavor mine is. It is the original, pre-flavor Kelly Green model that I bought as a 3 season set along with a Nest.

I think it's closest the Sierra but not positive.

Again, I've had it for close to 5 years and still love it.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    For summer, I've got the Sierra Stealth for a top quilt, the Shenandoah for a bottom quilt.
    For winter, I've got the Sierra Sniveller for a top quilt and the Mt Washington 3 Convertible for a bottom quilt

My thinking with the convertible was that I could use it both winter and summer, but it worked so well that it became clear to me that it would be too hot to use in the summer and would work too well. Being so impressed with the build quality and of course how well it worked, I was more than happy to buy the two summer quilts. Four of them add up to big dollars, but from past experience I know that it’s MUCH better to spend whatever I need to in order to get what works – and they work! Sleeping cold is no fun at all! If you look after them, they will last a long time.

Now, I haven’t tested the bottom end temperature of the winter quilts, but I have tested the two summer quilts and I can safely say that I sleep “warm” at 8C, 46F. The JRB site says Summer Use 40°-45°, so what JRB say seems to be pretty right.

Two “must haves” are the JRB Down Hood (in warmer weather just wear a Balaclava, because the hood works too well), and the DriDucks™ Poncho with JRB Weather Shield Mod Kit.

One thing I discovered is that you can have the best and warmest top and bottom quilts in the world, BUT, if your head gets cold you will keep waking up. You will also keep waking up if your head gets too warm. I tend to need the hood when the temp gets down to about 5 C, 41F. The balaclava does the job above that.

As for the poncho, it stops the wind chill thing. If it’s a windy night, and I put the poncho on as a shield for the under quilt, it may as well not be windy. It does a great job! It also seems to add 2 or 3 degrees to the bottom quilt temp rating.

Anyway begleysm, if you get any of the JRB quilts you will be heading in the right direction. They are amazingly light, they are super comfy, they compress down small and puff up big, they are quiet, and most importantly... they work really well!

<<<<<<

You might find the following useful too. It’s a post I typed for another thread:

The two quilts (2 summer and 2 winter) work well together. If you look after them and I mean REALLY look after them, they will last for 30 or more years. Keep your Mt W 3 clean and sweat free.

With a sleeping bag people use sleeping bag liners. What I do with my quilts is wear thermal underwear – much more comfy and less restrictive. Think of them as wearable sleeping bag liners (not to mention hammock protectors). Silk top and bottoms that I got from www.theunderwearguys.com for summer use and standard thermal underwear I got from a local camping store for winter use. Thick socks in the winter and thin socks in the summer.

Also, and importantly, I wear a Balacalava that I also got from The Underwear Guys. The Balacalava does two things, it keeps your top quilt, pillow and hammock clean and it keeps your head warm, which is VERY important. You can have the warmest quilt in the world, but if your head gets cold you will keep waking up. I’ve also got a JRB Down Hood, which I keep on the shelf of my WBBB hammock, just in case I wake up with a cold numb kind of pain on the top of my head – put it on, problem solved, back to sleep.

Now, the thinking is that if I am covered from head to toe, I won’t get my quilts as dirty and or oily. I think wearing normal cloths reduces the comfort level of the hammock.

A shower, or at least a wash of some kind, will help keep your quilt and hammock clean and it will also help you sleep better. Pocket showers work well.

The cleaner you keep your quilts, the less you have to wash them. The less you wash them, the longer they last.

Finally, I’ve got a DriDucks™ Poncho with JRB Weather Shield Mod Kit. It adds warmth and it protects the quilt from wind, rain or dust.
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Cool! Thanks Bruciehi5!

Images

Sean
    Mine was just called the No Sniveler when I bought it. There was the Shenandoah 40F quilt, No Sniveler 20F quilt, and I forgot what the really warm quilt was... I may be wrong, but that's what my memory pulls up.

Simpler to say I have the 20F No Sniveler quilt.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Mine was just called the No Sniveler when I bought it. There was the Shenandoah 40F quilt, No Sniveler 20F quilt, and I forgot what the really warm quilt was... I may be wrong, but that's what my memory pulls up.

Simpler to say I have the 20F No Sniveler quilt.
    Now I'm curious to know what mine compares to since when I purchased it, back in the days before HammockForums.net it was called the 3 season set or Nest & No Sniveller and there weren't any other names or choices.

Loving it since 2005 though.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    It is a WONDERFUL piece of gear. Bear in mind that it is mostly designed as a Top Quilt, & does that job quite well. You can use it as a Under Quilt, & it works, but in my experience, it does a better job as a TQ, & using it as a TQ allows you to access it as a poncho, trying to use the Poncho feature with the NoSniv as a UQ is,,,,,, challenging.

While dressed appropriately for the weather, I have comfortably gotten down to the low teens with my "standard" No sniveler. Below that (about 13 or so), I use a chemical hot pack about 1/2 way thru the night, below about 9 & its 2 hot packs.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast