DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Regarding the 2" of differential between the widths of the outer vs. inner layer on my quilt design.

The height of the baffles is 2". The way I make my inner layer, it hugs the hammock. So, all of the 2" height on the edges of the quilt must come from the outer layer. But, that extra 2" at each corner must be dealt with when it comes time to sew it all up.

I hopes this helps clear up some of the confusion.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I had seen those, and couldn't quite make it work in my head. For the head and foot ends taking in the additional 2" width in a single spot almost made sense. Shouldn't it be 4" (2" on each side to account for the baffle height)? For the length, is it a 2" spot on each corner for a total of 4? It wouldn't make sense to go all the way across the width, and a single pleat doesn't make sense either. Perhaps you can explain it to me.

I envision a pleat in each corner to take off the additional width and length simultaneously, but not having built one, I'm not sure if it would work. (Take a look at http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...p?i=12053&c=13 - that'll give you an idea of what I'm thinking of if my rambling doesn't make sense)
    Sorry HH - I forgot to give you the whole quote. On your first point, note also that on MAD's quilt the outside shell was 4" longer, hence the 2" darts at one the side of each of the foot and head end (I'm assuming 1 dart at each end). Your suggestion on the corner pleat makes perfect sense to me, and also has the bnonus of giving a nice finished look.

The way I make my inner layer, it hugs the hammock.
    MAD - do you dart the inner layer? If you don't, is the lack of darts compensated for by the drawstring channel on the head and foot ends?

Thanks.
    - Norm

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Regarding the 2" of differential between the widths of the outer vs. inner layer on my quilt design.

The height of the baffles is 2". The way I make my inner layer, it hugs the hammock. So, all of the 2" height on the edges of the quilt must come from the outer layer. But, that extra 2" at each corner must be dealt with when it comes time to sew it all up.

I hopes this helps clear up some of the confusion.
    After thinking about it for a bit, I think I get it.

My confusion is on where you placed your pleats. It originally sounded like you used only 4 pleats.

If I'm understanding correctly, you used 2 pleats in each corner (placed at a right angle) for a total of 8 pleats. Is that correct or am I still confused?

Quote Originally Posted by normis1 View Post
    On your first point, note also that on MAD's quilt the outside shell was 4" longer, hence the 2" darts at one the side of each of the foot and head end (I'm assuming 1 dart at each end).
    Heh, yes, good point. The baffle height is added to both the width and length, and I didn't mention that in my original post.

Thanks both of you, for helping me puzzle through this.
    Last edited by HappyHiker; 09-28-2011 at 17:15. Reason: Removed excess verbage

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12