Images

Which ones are the easiest?

I have just been reading another thread about difficulties/learning curve adjusting UQs for peak performance. Or actually this recent thread was on a related subject: keeping an UQ adjusted through out the night. Similar threads show up here from time to time. I started to post a shorter version of this on that thread, but it might have been a hijack, so here it is in a new thread.

Some hammock under insulation systems seem to have more "learning curve" and/or require more minor mods to get it just right, than others.

What have Y'all observed on this subject? What do you have that is close to zero problems straight from the manufacturer, or what do you have that has proven challenging( or required some mods) to get things as you expected? Or what seems easy to get warm with at bedtime, but then develops a cold gap before morning, or slips off your shoulder or feet? Here's your chance to lay it all out there, good or bad!

This is not to trash one product or to say that product X Uber Alles is better than all others. One of my favorite products requires just the right tension and can slip off my shoulder if I'm not careful- but it is still a favorite despite these little problems.

I'll start with a few that have been easy for me:

1: Pad with SPE or dbl layer hammock. Or better yet in a JRB bridge. You just lay on it. This assumes you are a person who can use a pad without all of the issues more than a few folks have.

2: JRB MW UQ on a JRB bridge hammock: It is not that hard to misread the JRB directions, and I actually did the 1st few times I used it. Best look close at the pictures they provide. But even doing it "wrong", it was easy and still always worked. I originally hooked her up counting on the suspension to allow a certain amount of elastic slack. Still worked, never got cold and it never moved. It never became loose or slipped off a shoulder no matter how much i moved. Then I figured out the right way to do it. There is no elastic slack, even though you use the suspension. But it appears this UQ is a custom fit for this hammock, because the suspension biners attach to the HAMMOCK, not the quilt!. The hammock loops go through the quilt loops, and then the suspension hooks to the hammock loops. So really, the quilt can not move or give. It hangs a set distance beneath the hammock, and when I get in, the hammock sags right down just enough to snugly contact the dif cut quilt. And that's it. There are some minor adjustments that can be made on the ends, but really not much. You just snug the end up to just enough to barely contact the hammock. There's not much to do, and it really can't move or sag.

3: Pea Pod. Now this is no custom fit like the above, though maybe it is close if you use a Speer hammock. You will have to change things according to which hammock you have and whether or not you want to add extra insulation between hammock and pod. But basically you just tie it on via nylon cord (not elastic) so that there is some gap between the pod and the hammock. Then you get in and close it and feel under neath to see if the pod is just barely in contact with the hammock. If not, you tighten or loosen it up a bit until it is tight enough but not compressed. Or you leave it loose if it is not cold enough to matter-- gaps just don't seem as much of a problem with the pod. Or leave the gap if you want to add insulation. That is about it. It won't sag because there are no elastics and part of the support is the full length Velcro. There won't be any drafts because of that full length Velcro closure causing the pod to drape over the hammock edges. No cold air will get under the hammock, even if you have a big gap, unless you want to open things up for venting.

4: HH Super Shelter: First of all, this only applies to those for whom it will work at all, like pads in #1. And for me and quite a few others here, it seems to work just fine, though it does not work at all for others. That said, I know that this one has a reputation for being fussy and in need of much fiddling with. And I used to feel the same, but over the years I flat changed my mind. The adjustments I thought it needed were all in my head. Just put on as directed and lay down, nothing else to do!
    I think, based on what I read about compression of down(too tight) vs cold gaps(too loose) with the earlier non-dif cut UQs, I was needlessly worried about that happening with the HHSS. The OCF pad is very compressible. But it really can't happen, if you just put it on per HH directions. That is really all there is to it. The Under cover has just the right amount of elastic tension ( another custom design) to just keep the under pad against your back without compressing the open cell foam. Unless maybe it is put on incorrectly to a ridiculous degree, you really can't get this wrong. Also, if you put the HH tie outs through the corresponding pad and UC loops, it is going to be positioned correctly if you are laying any where close to a normal position. At least with the wider pad, I never come off of it. Not being able to reach out of the net and check things, I was always worried I was not on the pad well enough, but I was. It never moves or sags.

So, I'd say those have had zero adjustment issues for me. I've got some other systems that I really like, but they might be a little trickier.

What do Y'all have zero issues with right out of the box? Or what have you had some learning curve or even continued problems with, and are you happy with it anyway?

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    i have a Wilderness Logistics 3/4 synthetic and man, easy. slip the ends over the knots on the hammock ends and adjust once. unless im tossing, it stays well in place and if it does slip, its only to a side and its just a small reach to adjust.

ill be doing a full review after this weekend.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I had given a complete HH super shelter away on here because it was just not for me ... the fiddle factor meter would red line when I used it.

For me I am strictly a sleeping bag and air mattress or ccf pad depending on the temps.
    I have done in the teens with just a sleeping bag a pad and a hammock with no tarp.
    Of course I had warm clothes on also.
    So my answer to your post is back to the basics. A sleeping bag appropiate to the temps and the same for a pad.
    Last edited by Randy; 09-27-2011 at 22:04.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i was worried that i would have trouble keeping a uq in optimum position
    so i had WL sew in some loops that i could loop some shock cord thru if needed.
    so far, not needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

JRB Nest

I used a JRB Nest on my HH for 7 months on the AT in 2005. I used a Weather Shield with it as well. Using Python Skins, I was able to keep the UQ on it all the time and made for fast setup and take down.

There are a few mods that I would do before I use it again in winter & another planned AT Thru in 2012. However, I'm thinking about using it as a OQ, and get a Winter 3/4 UQ from HammockGear.com.

The UQ from them really seems to address a lot of the fiddle factor issues that I've had to deal with with the JRB.

I'll be talking to JRB in the next few weeks to decide if it's worth doing the mods. I'll keep in touch on it.

Thanks for staring this post. I really need as much info as possible.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

That's one of the mods I might do

Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    i was worried that i would have trouble keeping a uq in optimum position
    so i had WL sew in some loops that i could loop some shock cord thru if needed.
    so far, not needed.
    I think the shock cord running the length of the UQ makes a huge difference. It also allows to slid it up or down depending on your location in the hammock. How many ozs did it add to your UQ?

OneThing,

I have a HH ULB and a Nest, which I haven't used on the trail yet, defaulting, instead, to (what I consider) my more fail-safe ground setup (Ray Way tarp and quilt). I just haven't been as easily persuaded to hang as everyone else. (For one thing, Ray has me scared of down, though he largely seems to be the only one who has an issue with it).

One of my concerns with the HH and the Nest is weather exposure to the down UQ.

I see you added a weather shield to help address the exposure. What tarp did you use on the AT? Did you find the weather shield necessary? Did you find it easy enough to keep your down dry, even from insensible perspiration (TQ).

Because my HH, JRB 8x8 tarp, and JRB nest are quite a bit bulkier and heavier than my Ray Way setup already, I'm hesitant to add another piece of gear (weathershield) to the mix. It's complex enough for me already.

Kerry

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    I think the shock cord running the length of the UQ makes a huge difference. It also allows to slid it up or down depending on your location in the hammock. How many ozs did it add to your UQ?
    i really don't know. i don't own a scale. i'm weird that way.
    it's full lengh, over stuffed synthetic so it would be considered "heavy" anyway.
    WL says it's 40oz. and 25*. ( haven't tested for low temp yet- i will this winter.)

i can run a shock cord from side to side over my SRL to pull it up anywhere that i need to, or run a cord down the side and add lift at any of the loops as well.
    it does have conventional shock cord sown into the UQ, so the loops are additional attachment points.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

MacCat, Nest, Feather Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    OneThing,

I have a HH ULB and a Nest, which I haven't used on the trail yet, defaulting, instead, to (what I consider) my more fail-safe ground setup (Ray Way tarp and quilt). I just haven't been as easily persuaded to hang as everyone else. (For one thing, Ray has me scared of down, though he largely seems to be the only one who has an issue with it).

One of my concerns with the HH and the Nest is weather exposure to the down UQ.

I see you added a weather shield to help address the exposure. What tarp did you use on the AT? Did you find the weather shield necessary? Did you find it easy enough to keep your down dry, even from insensible perspiration (TQ).

Kerry
    Everything I use for cold weather is down. I used down over 2 yrs, (15 months of it on the AT) hiking & being in the forest using my hammock @ 90% of the time.

There was only 1 time I had a problem. I wasn't experienced with the small HH rain fly. Water filled the hammock, while I set outside under the fly eating dinner.

Down just requires some extra precautions. But that's needs to be done with all gear where your life depends on it.

When I started the AT in 2005, I changed a few things to my hammock setup.

1. MacCat Deluxe Tarp
    2. JRB Nest & Weather Shield
    3. Feather Friends Winter Wren 25°F/-3.9°C http://www.featheredfriends.com/pica...Specialty.html

For a few ozs more the MacCat made having the hammock on the AT flat out fun.

The weather shield was nice if I wanted to go to ground & it kept the Nest dry in heavy wet fog. (I didn't use it in summer months)

The Winter Wren has holes for arms, and full open foot box which can be pulled all the way up. Great for when you get up in the middle of the night or in the morning.

The insensible perspiration for me is an ongoing issue. I used VB during the winter. However, I think it's a issue for everyone. I've woken up with everything wet in a tent.

I left the hiking community for a few years after an illness & an accident. I'm blown away by all the changes, new gear, this forum and the number of people hanging. I'm trying to take in as much as possible and not spend my life saving in the process wanting the latest & greatest.

• + New Posts