Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Multi-Purpose Toggle Alternatives

Hey all,

I currently use the stock adjustable webbing on my WBBB but I plan on, eventually, upgrading to the lighter whoopies.

I understand the Marlin Spike Hitch + Toggle system although the single function (albeit lightweight) toggles aren't too sexy to me.

Does anyone use a multi-purpose item as a toggle?

I was considering bringing a, small, variety of stakes (Y shaped & Nail type) for different types of terrain and using the unused stakes as toggles.

Another idea could be maybe, a firesteel? A pen or marker? Spare AA batteries? lighter? waterproof Match-Case? Magnesium Fire Starter? Backup flashlight? (in all of these cases these items are assumed to not be your primary light, or your primary firestarter).

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner

2 ultralight climbing grade carabiners

If you buy a couple lightweight climbing grade carabiners you can have a faster, more secure system, and of course carabiners have 1000 uses when not on your hammock suspension. Here a thread discussing it and a video demonstrating.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=39731

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VczGvhmwDGI
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    I'm for light biners aswell !(sub1oz for both)

But if you go with toggles you could use them as salt/pepper shakers
    You can probably stick to the widespread arrowshaft and think of a simple solution fo the ends..

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Well, there is always "trail sticks"! That way, absolutely no carryweight. Just have to make sure firm hardwood, no rotting, and the Knot the Knot the Knot.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Been wondering when the biners would come up. If I have to worry about "the knot, not the toggle" it's too complicated for me when I'm cold and wet.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    Hey all,

I understand the Marlin Spike Hitch + Toggle system although the single function (albeit lightweight) toggles aren't too sexy to me.

Does anyone use a multi-purpose item as a toggle?

I was considering bringing a, small, variety of stakes (Y shaped & Nail type) for different types of terrain and using the unused stakes as toggles.
    As long as the edges arent sharp.
    Another idea could be maybe, a firesteel? A pen or marker? Spare AA batteries? lighter? waterproof Match-Case? Magnesium Fire Starter? Backup flashlight? (in all of these cases these items are assumed to not be your primary light, or your primary firestarter).
    IMO, the lighter, pen or marker, AA battery are too fragile. Not only do you run the risk of toggle failure, but potential strap damage. And the firesteel shows enough strength..but I got to undo the hammock suspension to start my fire?? Doesnt make sense.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?
    If your already carrying all those extras (batteries, flashlights, lighter, firesteel,pens and markers, match case..), whats an extra toggle or two actually weigh?

Mine are permanently tethered to my webbing. Complete weight of both toggles is in the grams. I need a few of them to even register on the scale.

Trail sticks are plentiful, just be sure they are sturdy, as mentioned.

A small carabiner used as a toggle is excellent. Slide the biner into the hitch as set the hitch onto the long back shank of the biner. This leaves the gate open for attaching gear, water bag, pack, shoes, etc. Keeps things off the ground.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm not necessarily carrying all that stuff, that was just the possibilities off the top of my head.

Also, the carabiner thing is not a bad idea (you could even use it as a toggle if you were worried about tying the MSH properly) and actually I suggested, in the other thread specifically about this, of using the C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 'biners.

I rock climb, and I hunted around (6 or 12 months ago) and I believe they are the lightest climbing rated carabiners on the market. They are awesome, I believe I own about 20 of them.

http://www.rei.com/product/798366/ca...gate-carabiner
    http://www.rei.com/product/798364/ca...r-package-of-6

I know the toggles are fairly small and light. But they do take up volume and they are another "thing" and this is mostly just a mental gear exercise. I'm not thinking a couple toggles (or a couple flashlights!) are gonna break my back.

Sean

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S-4Door
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Biner as toggle
    Scooter

In theory, there's no difference between theory and reality.
    In reality, there is.

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Biner as toggle
    Why does everyone insist as using a biner as a toggle? This takes 1 second and you don't have to make sure anything is 'over the knot, not the toggle'. This is completely foolproof and it is impossible for it to slip. The carabiner would either have to be severed in half or the over 1000lb rated strap would have to snap.

Regardless of what people say, it IS possible for your whoopie or whatever to get off the knot and onto the toggle, or come off the hitch all together, even if it happens rarely, it is physically possible. Using Nick's Clip Hitch it is physically impossible for your hitch to be compromised. 100% security without double checking the position on your toggle 100 times a trip. I would say most people already carry a couple carabiners to attach things to their pack anyway, just replace them with ultralight climbing grade ones and your pack weight will stay the same.

Nick's Clip Hitch

This can never happen with Nick's Clip Hitch.
    Last edited by Towellie; 09-29-2011 at 07:09.
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Well Nick for the sake of conversation, if you use a biner as a toggle, and the whoopie then runs through the body of the biner, it is also impossible for it slip off.

If it did shift it would act like a larkshead and fall on itself. Using it in this method gives you (IMO) more access to the gate to hang items from. It also can be done with non-rated biners as there is no actual stress on the biner itself.

Just different options to solve the same problem.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast