How to safely hang from my porch?

I only have a few trees in my yard, so I'm hoping to hang from one that's near the house. My porch has a post that is about 11 feet from the tree (if I go about 2/3 of the way down from it) and I want to hang the other end from that.

I think the porch itself is sturdy enough to hold a HH, but I don't think the post is strong enough as-is. I could maybe hang from the porch itself, but it's only about 4 feet from the ground.

So my question is, how can I hang from this porch without breaking it or me? Ideally without having to go buy something.

I'll try to attach some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Hi
    i would say do not hang off anything green in your photos, I feel that bits of wood will just pull out.
    I have a similar problem and made a x out of two pieces of wood, like a pair of scissors but with the pivot point at about 4" from one end. Then you just open it out until you have the legs open on the ground enough to feel secure and the top end is open enough to pass the rope or webbing over.

If you could make one of these and then attach a line from where your decking is fixed to the ground and up and over the V in the wood and then to the hammock, you may be ok. Thats how I have mine set at the moment and the other end goes to my pool fence.

I have no photos as yet of it.
    Gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I just found this from another post but it shows the type of thing I mean. the rope from the timber goes down to the bottom of your porch, some place strong

Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

I wouldn't hang off of anything on the porch. That's going to be applying significant sideward forces instead of the downward ones that it was built for. You would be better off hanging from one tree and building something to support the other end.
    Splat

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

did it anyway

My grandmother always told my mother "I don't know why you ask for my advice, you always do what you d*** well please anyway"

So though I appreciate the advice, I ended up hanging from the 4x4 post, first gently then with some bouncing.. No creaks or cracking, so I figure it's Ok.

I got to play with my JRB 10x11 for the first time over a hammock, and also figured out how to rig my Golite poncho tarp with the weathershield (v2) for a very lightweight setup.

I think the poncho tarp, WS, stealth overquilt and 1 (or 2) of my oware pads will get me to 40F without carrying an UQ. I do wish I had a NS or nest, but I've already burned a hole through my pocket, and the floor, and the basement floor, so that will have to wait for santa I think.

I figure I'll carry the poncho when I do not expect much rain or temps under 40. The big tarp cut the breeze significantly, and I think that's a big part of comfort over 55F or so for me. I like my face to be cool while I sleep.

I am VERY psyched to have found a spot to hang in my hard, even though it's not ideal with the traffic noise and such. I bet I could sleep there tonight to test 40F, but my wife probably will object.

• + New Posts