Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

How to set up HH stock tarp for rain.

I have a HH expedition and stock tarp. I attached 2 lines to the tarp and them to trees with figure 9s. I read that it's better to get a bigger tarp. Well, I'm heading out this weekend and it might rain. How should I setup the stock tarp? What tips do you have to keep me dry.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    hang it like Hennessy shows you - on top of the hammock so it covers it. The higher you put it the more likely you will get windblown rain into the hammock. That is why he designed it to clip to the suspension just above the ridge line.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    hang it like Hennessy shows you - on top of the hammock so it covers it. The higher you put it the more likely you will get windblown rain into the hammock. That is why he designed it to clip to the suspension just above the ridge line.
    Roger that. Try centering the tarp and staking it before you tighten it up on the foot and head ends. I like to keep the tarp as close to the hammock Ridgeline as possible, coverage is far superior that way.

BUT, when the hammock sags, the tarp will sag and will be a flapping monster in the wind. Hang some spare stuff sacks full of sand or something with weight to the mitten hooks on the tarp side tie out points. Then as you get closer to the ground after laying down, tension will be maintained on the tarp, helping to keep it tight. This is an improvement compared to normal. Shock cords on the side tie outs might also help.

Images
    I hang my tarp seperately, like you mentioned in your post, tied below the hammock suspension. I have the hammock ridgeline almost, if not, touching the tarp when it is empty, so that when I get in the sag does not leave as much of a gap between the hammock and tarp. When I used the stock set-up I started with about a 6" gap between the hammock and tarp that became huge when I got in, not to mention the sag that appeared in the tarp when I got in. I also tie the sides down at a steep angle to get as much side coverage as possible, just leaving a few inches for airflow.

I have not weathered a serious storm yet, but I have stayed dry through small, or light, showers.

Ragnall

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I'm in the process of looking for a hammock (yeah I'm new) How much space does hanging your tarp directly over your hammock allow? Isn't that a bit on the tight or even claustrophobic side of things? Wouldn't that also restrict airflow for ventilation Thanks

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_ray_ray View Post
    I'm in the process of looking for a hammock (yeah I'm new) How much space does hanging your tarp directly over your hammock allow? Isn't that a bit on the tight or even claustrophobic side of things? Wouldn't that also restrict airflow for ventilation Thanks
    [[/I]

It can be tight and claustrophobic but that beats being wet. It's also why a lot of folks opt for a larger tarp. If one is not dealing with a lot of wind, just rain, porch mode on the lee side might be viable. With the Hex tarp or one from the cottage vendors/DIY you can get enough coverage to sit and watch the storm like the Hickry Brothers. ;-)

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    pretty much what everyone else says. the middle will sag some but just try and balance it out. and as long as its a straight down rain you should be fine.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Hennessy rain catcher funnels really do a good job keeping tension on the tarp as it rains. Then you have water to use for boiling and clean up in the AM. If you are certain there is no bird poo on the tarp you can drink it. If I'm going to drink it I'll run it through my filter.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I use the hex tarp, but having played a bit with the HH asym tarp that came with my son's expedition, I'd say you can hang that tarp seperately from the hammock but still get good coverage.

Hang the tarp as close as you can to the hammock ridgeline. As others have said...if the weather looks bad, have a good, steep angle on your tarp, and make sure that you're perpendicular to the wind, to minimize rain possibly coming in on the ends of the hammock.

I've not used the tarp prussics/hooks on the HH ropes personally, because I don't care of the sag created when I get in the hammock. I just make sure to hang my tarp as low to the hammock ridgeline as I can to minimize the gap created when I climb in the tarp.

If weight isn't an issue for you...I personally like having a larger tarp...but that's just personal preference between which you prefer...better tarp coverage or minimizing your pack weight.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I agree with all of the above.

The HH stock tarp will work, larger tarps are a mater of personal preference and broader uses.

If you hang exactly as the instructions show, with the tarp attached to the hammock suspension lines, simply stake the tarp at a steep angle to the ground to the point that it is nearly touching the netting. If you have self-tensioning lines, all the better. Stake them stretched then when you get in and there is a bit of a sag and some slack in the lines, the STL will self adjust.

If you don't have STL, go for the tight line with extra weight as recommended.

This type of set up is where the bottom entry really shines. So stake tight, hop in, and enjoy the dry comfort and relaxing sound of rain drops inches away from you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast