DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

1.6 SL vs. 1.0 DL Hammock?

Hi, I am looking to make my first camping hammock, and I wanted to hear thoughts on the differences between a single-layer hammock made from 1.6 oz fabric and a double-layer hammock made from 1.0/1.1 oz fabric. This is assuming I used the same kind of fabric for each (i.e. SL 1.6 HyperD vs. DL 1.0 HyperD). I am only 5'-8" and 150#, so I won't be pushing the limits of any of the fabrics. I also plan on using an underquilt not a pad, so I don't "need" a double-layer hammock. I'm interested in the more subjective aspects like durability, stretch, "feel", and comfort.

I'm 6'4", 350 lbs and have a DIY 11'6"x58" SL 1.6 HyperD hammock and I love it. I like the stretchier fabric tho. It's more than a year old and I've slept over night in it probably 30+ times and set it up countless times for a quick nap or to study on a nice day.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Greetings, and welcome to HF.

As you have surmised, there are three main practical reasons for building a DIY double-layer gathered-end hammock:

1) You want to be able use (easily) a sleeping pad in addition to or instead of an underquilt
    2) You approach or exceed the maximum load capacity of a single layer of your chosen fabric
    3) You want to be able to camp in areas/at times of year where biting insects are a serious concern

If none of these criteria apply to you, you can feel free to design a single-layer hammock to your specifications from your fabric of choice.

That said, indirectly related to #2, I tend to prefer double-layer hammocks not only for the versatility, durability, and protection but also for the firm lay they provide. Weight aside, my favorite hammocks are typically a 1.9 oz outer layer with an inner layer of 1.1 -- and I only weigh 175#. I'd guess that the 1.6 HyperD SL and the 1.0 HyperD DL will be close enough in firmness/stretch that it won't make much difference, but I'll let someone with actual practical experience with those two fabric/construction combinations weigh in. I have a single-layer 1.55 oz Epsilon hammock that is noticeably stretchier than a single layer of 1.9 oz ripstop but still provides me with adequate firmness at my weight; the 1.6 oz HyperD is probably firmer than that, so if you're worried about the SL being too soft, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    5'4", 150lbs. I made my first DIY around the end of January this year out of SL hexon 1.6. Used virtually every night indoors since. No signs of distress. I do use a hyperd 1.6 SL for camping. I also have 1.0 SL which tends to squeeze my sensitive shoulders. I don't yet have a DL but I did get to briefly try out a couple of wbrr DL's just yesterday. They use 1.1 fabric. A bridge is a different animal than a ge so I don't know if this translates well, but I felt the DL 1.1 was nice and firm, perhaps more so than my 1.6. I ordered one when I got home. If you're just after low stretch, hexon 2.4 SL works great, that's what my wife uses indoors and out. Made her indoor hammock shortly after my 1.6, wears like iron.

By "feel" I'll assume you mean hand. Hexon 1.0, HyperD1.0 and 1.6 are very soft. Hexon 1.6 slightly more coarse while Hexon 2.4 is quite a bit more so. We don't find any of them to be objectionable. You couldn't pry 2.4 from my wife with a crowbar. If my wife really likes the bridge, I suspect I'll have to diy one out of 2.4 for her.

I realize this doesn't directly answer your questions, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Polyester tends to be firmer than nylon if that's what you're after. I am 170# and have been using a DIY 1.1 poly hammock for just over a year now, I like a firmer bed and the low stretch of the poly suits me. The weight limits on the poly fabrics seem to be lower than comparable nylon, so I guess it's not as strong, but I've had no issues at all and poly has better UV resistance than nylon.

Poly does not feel as soft as nylon, it has more a "plasticky" / slick / shiny feel to it which some people just don't like, but I don't notice at all. I made my daughter a HyperD 1.6 SL which I've laid in a few times and like a lot. If I went down the nylon path, I'd probably go with HyperD 1.6 which does feel very nice against the skin.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    I have recently made a SL out of the 1.0, the 1.1 poly, the 1.6, and the 2.2 xl. I am 5' 10" and 175lbs. The last one I finished was the 1.0 as my new ulet alight setup and it is ridiculously light, but a little stretchy, I don't mind it but some people might, the hand feel is like silk. If you want something firmer go with the 1.1 poly, still very light but almost no stretch holding me, there isn't a need for the double layer or extra weight for you, IMHO. Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY MembranePU4000
    Insulation
    Klymit Ins StaticV
    Suspension
    DIY sling/shackle
    I'm around 250 lbs and I have slept in my gathered end 1.0 HyperD I made this summer. I think I'm up to 6 full nights in it plus many hangs for testing and naps. I like the stretchier fabric, since it doesn't feel hard in any one place. Also, I talked my girlfriend into getting into a 1.6 HyperD gathered end I made with me (around 400 lbs total), and we had no problems.
    IMG_20160730_163638.jpgIMG_20160730_173029.jpgIMG_20160904_101947.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks everyone! For my purposes, it sounds like there is no need to go with a double layer hammock. I don't really know how much stretch I want yet, but I like a really soft bed, so I'm thinking more stretch would be fine (i.e. Nylon not Poly). I don't know if it correlates that way, but I guess I'll find out...

Since the supplies for making my own hammocks are much cheaper than buying a finished hammock, I think I might start by making 2 I just ordered material to make single-layer hammocks out of 1.0 HyperD (RBTR) and 1.6 Hexon (Dutch). Hopefully, this should give me a good comparison of the different levels of stretch.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Yup, that's the only way to know for sure.

• + New Posts