WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Meet Hammy. When I started backpack hiking I thought it would be nice to have a dog along. Mentioned to my wife after trapping a neighborhood stray twice that I was going to keep him the next time. This is what she bought me to take hiking. Pretty good dog, but he won't keep the boogie man away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    INSULHAMMOCK
    Suspension
    I was expelled
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Meet Hammy. When I started backpack hiking I thought it would be nice to have a dog along. Mentioned to my wife after trapping a neighborhood stray twice that I was going to keep him the next time. This is what she bought me to take hiking. Pretty good dog, but he won't keep the boogie man away.
    But think of the food savings and you know for a fact that mystery pile ain't yours, LOL.
    Ignorance is simply not knowing, Stupidity is knowing and not doing. "Stupidity should be painful"

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives oblivious" Agent Smith, The Matrix

Please leave suggestions and comments on our H.O.C.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=57721

Come check out our Creation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uw7-XGKnDU

Insulhammock
    http://camping-hammock.us/

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcsteve View Post
    I swear by it with my dogs. Never had a flea, tick or mosquito problem since we started using Advantix a few years ago.
    there is a good thread on whiteblaze (I'm user "jcamp")about preventative products.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1320541

the thread is more about ticks but it would be very useful for all dog owners.

Mosquitos mainly transmit heartworms (can be fatal) to dogs so if your dog is on a heartworm prevention (which is more important than flea prevention) then you probably don't need a mosquito preventative.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0*
    There are some great ideas here. Took Brock on his first camping trip this weekend. He didn't sleep the first night. It was cute. He shorthaired lil butt was cold. It only went down to 60*. He had a nice fleece cover jacket and a pad and blanket to sleep on. His spoiled lil indoor butt couldn't handle it though. I'm glad to see and read what others have done. I need to do some more experimenting before the Texas Hang...

InJoy

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK

Larger size Puppy

I have a 70lb black lab and having him in my hammock don't sound like fun. He has gone on some outing in a tent he does alright but scares.

A couple of thoughts. Hammock is different from tents, because, your K9 hears and smells however he/she can not see what is outside the tent. Tents are just fabric, not secure at all.

There is a product on the market called a Thunder Coat. It is just a jacket with some straps, that help your K9 feel secure. I just used a doggy coat or T-shirts on my nerves dog, it took her a little bit to figure out that the clothing was good, then she did not want to be without her shirt or jacket.

You might want to condition your dog by sleeping outside for naps together, in the day light, then in the evening, next try it into the late hours, or early morning. Then it is something you two do together, your dog should be less sensative. I would still tether your companion, just for safety sake, Labs are used for hunting. Some dogs if they get a scent of game they are off and running.

Be sure your dog has had its Chip implanted and the correct address is on file with the chip mfg.

Some dogs want solid walls around them at night, just like some people. One of my dogs, wants to guard the vehicle. That is her choice, she has made it very clear. We had another big dog that was the worst camper ever. He wanted to be home in his doggy bed or on his couch, when the sun went down. He would pout and turn darker and darker the longer we were away from home. Day trips great, over night, nope. Just like some people I know.

Hammock
    Thunderbird11ft DL
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    20 UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have made my lab a pad underneath my hammcok and he only goes camping with me when it is warm!
    Psalm 50:1 The Mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.
    Old Dominion Hangers: Secretary
    First Annual Powhatan Hang and Work - April 17-19, 2015

Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20° HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Arrowhead Whoopies
    Here is a pic from a few nights ago when i had my backpacking trip cancelled.. ended up in the backyard with both dogs sleeping under me

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Chips are good and my pup has his I also added a collar with his name and my phone number sewn right into the material I got it at LL Bean for i believe 20.00/ Although I never let him off the leash one can never be too careful with your loved one. I think my wife wants to put a chip and collar on me.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Old thread here, but it was cool seeing what all the different posters did with their dogs. Lots of good ideas here. I have a 60lb black lab girl, and I've tried lots of stuff with her. I tried at first with her on a cut down closed cell pad and her tied to the tree. she's a spoiled house dog and whined alot that she wasn't able to get to me. I also left the leash too long and she wrapped up one tarp line and pulled the stake out, and chewed two others. Next time I lowered my hammock to about a foot off the ground and she spent most of the night on her pad directly under me so she was against the bottom of the hammock. that made her fairly content. One night it got down to 38 and I was using a sleeping bag as an overquilt, and a folded up walmart fleece sleeping bag as an underquilt (i gathered the ends and tied to my suspension). I was chilly and used the closed cell foam pad i brought along just in case. I invited the dog in, she curled up on the pad and hung her head on the edge of the hammock. she was right up under my legs above my knees and i rested my legs on top of her. that was a super warm night. when its cold I've stayed with that setup. if its warmer and i have some breeze I dont mind her under or beside my legs. too hot and she'll jump down to her pad. the hammock (ENO doublenest) hasn't had any punctures yet, but I do try to get her to climb up on the pad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567