OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    This how Toby the Lab Re-sleeper rolls.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We bring our 2 Huskies with us every single trip. Now that we have gotten into Hammock Camping i bring a piece of Tyvek and a Z lite pad cut in half and each dog gets one to lay on. I usually cover them with my jacket if it's going to be below 40 and they are fine on a 6 foot tie out to a tree. They love being right next to us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sunshower; 07-30-2012 at 09:13.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    My 60lb Deutsch Drahthaar originally slept on a CCF under my hammock. Repeated applications of sad puppy eyes prompted me to try letting him up. We've been loving it ever since. He's trained to wait for the command to join me. I make sure his nails are filed smooth after trimming and put a blanket under him just in case. We have shared my GT SB-Pro in all four seasons for more than a year now and started sharing my TLG Dbl last month. The Dbl has a lil more room for him but no bugnet. Occasionally in cold weather I need to put a rolled up shirt under my knees as he wants to sleep in my lap when it's in the 20sF or colder. The rest of the year I sleep half on my side and he curls up behind my knees.

I love having him up in there especially deep in the woods as he alerts differently by species. Lot of animals I'd have missed seein without my dog right next to me.

Dog booties are a great idea. Pack much better than an extra blanket! Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Had been thinkin bout DIYin a canvas 'mock for my dog and hangin it right beside mine. Anyone try that route?
    Last edited by Dux; 07-30-2012 at 10:53.
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7DL
    Tarp
    W.B. BMJ
    So here is my question.

My pup is a short hair and I want to take her out during the fall and winter with me when I do most of my camping. There is no way I will let her into the hammock with me so I was wondering what type of "gear" I should get her to sleep out in temps down to -10.

Should she have her own shelter that will close up behind her, Down jacket, booties, sleeping pad, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by genegene View Post
    So here is my question.

My pup is a short hair and I want to take her out during the fall and winter with me when I do most of my camping. There is no way I will let her into the hammock with me so I was wondering what type of "gear" I should get her to sleep out in temps down to -10.

Should she have her own shelter that will close up behind her, Down jacket, booties, sleeping pad, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated with this.
    I suggest that you don't bring her in those temps as it is way too cold and dangerous for a short hair dog to camp in minus temperatures.

Even if you did get the sleeping part down which would be really hard without her not in the hammock, it would still be tough and no fun when she is hanging around camp etc.

Fronkey

I would agree with Fronkey. Sadly most short hair dogs are just not built for that kind of cold for extended periods of time. I have had my dog (ridgeback shepherd mix) at about 20-30 f and he wasn't comfortable even with vest etc.

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    Maybe I'm alone in this, but my wiemeraner comes with me in the late fall/early winter almost every weekend out hunting. I typically try to stay out overnight 2 nights and it works out just fine. For temps 30-20 degrees she gets a pad and a 20 degree bag zipped up (above 30 I leave it unzipped and just lay it over her). She has learned to crawl in in her own and usually only leaves her nose poking out. At those temps she's warm all day and only needs something at night. 20-0 she wears cordura booties and a neoprene vest during the day and at night she wears a thinsulate lined fleece jacket I made her on a pad inside a 0 degree bag next to me under the tarp. Below zero she's wearing a fleece liner under a neoprene vest and neoprene boots during the day and I don't have a hammock setup for true winter temps yet so she sleeps on her pad next to me in the hot tent inside both of her sleeping bags inside of a bivy.

Biggest thing is trying it out carefully, and by that I mean starting out overkill. You can take stuff off if they start fidgeting and coming out of their bag, but if you didn't bring enough you'd be a cruel person for sure.

When we go out my dog has a chew lead she picks up when asked to help drag the sled up hills and that makes carrying all her gear easier on me. The companionship is worth all the extra work to me though.
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    My wife and I did a lot of backpacking with our two Siberian Huskies. We have recently begun enjoying camping in our hammocks (Blackbirds and Superflies). We have camped with our dogs in a winter tent when the temperature was down in the single digits and the dogs were fine. Our dogs enjoy the snow and colder temperatures but ultimately it is my responsibility to keep them safe and comfortable. The down side to our dogs is that they are not trustworthy off leash. This limits where we could put them while we sleep comfortably in our hammocks. I will try having one of them sleep with my in my hammock next weekend and will report how it went. This would only be necessary in cold temperatures as in temps down to the 30s they are content laying on the ground on a pad or something.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    What do you guys do about bugs? I'm afraid my American Bulldog would get carried of by Mosquitos here in Florida. He's too big for my hammock. I thought about rigging a ground sheet with attached bug netting but am worried he'd tear it up.

Ideas?
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    What do you guys do about bugs? I'm afraid my American Bulldog would get carried of by Mosquitos here in Florida. He's too big for my hammock. I thought about rigging a ground sheet with attached bug netting but am worried he'd tear it up.

Ideas?
    Permethrin. Treat the groundcloth or pad the dog will use.
    If possible, spritz some permethrin on the sorrounding ground prior to set up. (I put some permethrin into a small spray bottle)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast