Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Stretch a 3 Season into colder weather?

I'm thinking about joining the Mt. Roger's hang this year and wonder if I can stretch my current 3S set-up vs. buying new gear.

I currently have a 3S Crowsnest and 3S Black Mamba TQ. If I were to add a pad(TR or WM blue pad) and perhaps use a fleece bag under the TQ, and dress in another layer, could I make this work down into single digit temps? Am I trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents?
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    You can definitely supplement to boost your gear. It's my preferred approach personally. My warmest top bag is rated at 35deg, and that's probably a bit optimistic - one synthetic, one down. Add pads, mix summer bags, Insultex or other bag liners, space blanket... whatever you can find cheap.

Whatever you decide to do for boosting though - field test it safely first, somewhere you can bail out easy if need be. Maybe do an overnighter with your truck full of gear boosting extras, try out what you think will work, and just be ready to grab more if it's needed. Or in the backyard if you can set up there, even better.

If you find you really like the extreme cold camping though, I think it'd be wise to save the pennies and get a setup designed for it. You'll likely be happier with that in the long run.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    You can, just depends on how warm/cold you sleep or get. I used my 3 season phoenix and burrow last year down in the lower 30's upper 20's without an additional pad under my torso. I did use a cut up one under my lower legs. Also shoved my reflectix cook bag cozy down in the bottom of my burrow to reflect heat back on my feet. Gear was the above quilts along with a WBBB and Superfly tarp w/doors down and as close to the ground as I could get it when the slightest breeze was present.

What I wore during the night was:
    Under Armor Cold Gear Base 3.0, (Top & Bottoms)
    Cabela's Polartec Classic 200 Special Ops Pullover, (Top & Bottoms)
    SmartWool Hunting Heavyweight Crew Socks with liner,
    I didn't have my Black Rock hat at that time so I used a Carhart toboggan.
    Buff around face in Ninja mode.

What I had on hand in case I got cool:
    Cabela's Superlight 750 Down Jacket,
    REI Merino Wool Light Hiker II,
    Cheap reflective emergency blanket,
    A couple of those hand warmer things,
    I could also pull the pad from under my legs under my torso if needed.

Think about your layering system on your person. Size it accordingly so that you don't crush any of the layers. My base layer is form fitting, the Polartec insulation is loose, anything over that, loose. I have learned how to stay comfortably warm from setting in a tree stand all day, not moving, in archery season. With the hand warmers, place them in locations to heat the blood and organs. Your wrists will warm hands & arms, back of neck, warms the head and little of the body, kidney areas will warm the lower torso, arm pits help with upper body & arms.

Edit: As others have said in other posts, you can boil some water before bed time and add it in your sleeping system with you. This will heat the area around it plus keep your water from freezing overnight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Whatever you decide to do for boosting though - field test it safely first, somewhere you can bail out easy if need be. Maybe do an overnighter with your truck full of gear boosting extras, try out what you think will work, and just be ready to grab more if it's needed. Or in the backyard if you can set up there, even better.
    Great point. I'm fortunate that I have a backyard that gives me several choices and do test out new gear and situations. Right now, getting below 15-20* is about a 2-4 night a year scenario. If I do more, I will consider a more robust gear solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BearChaser View Post
    Edit: As others have said in other posts, you can boil some water before bed time and add it in your sleeping system with you. This will heat the area around it plus keep your water from freezing overnight.
    Have tried this approach and like it. Nothing like getting into bedding that's already warm. The temps you mention are already qualified by my gear: my Phoenix with 900 fill will get me to 15* and my TQ to 20*. My main interest is supplementing to get to single digits and 0. It appears I can get with pads and clothing layers.
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    you can add a pad to the setup and take it lower...
    i'm not a fan of pads in a hammock so what i would do is
    use a dirducks poncho with undercover mod along with a hammock sock would
    boost your rating 10 degrees i know the crowsnest is a 20F UQ so it should get you down to 10F maybe lower
    maybe even add a space blanket in the mix .... maybe make a undercover out of IX and ripstop that with a winter sock would work as well

this is something i might play around with just for the fun of it this winter
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    boost your rating 10 degrees i know the crowsnest is a 20F UQ so it should get you down to 10F maybe lower
    maybe even add a space blanket in the mix .... maybe make a undercover out of IX and ripstop that with a winter sock would work as well

I am looking at something like this myself to stretch out my 3 season incubator and mamba. I have a uqp from 2q and maybe I can line that with some insultex to get me started.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post

This is getting in the direction I think I might try. I'm not familiar with the winter sock so I'll search that. Thanks G.L.P.
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Do you need a full sock?
    I am thinkng of making a "half" sock by hangind a driduck poncho from the hammock ridgeline. Shouldnt the UQ and the tarp protect from wind?

Images
    This is always my approach its more practical and flexible for variable weather conditions.

We mostly always dress in layers and have very good reasons for this on our bodies why would it be different with our sleeping insulation?

I use a 3 season down bag (-10 C rated) with a summer weight (equivalent of a 10-15C rated) bag over the down bag. Combined with fleece clothing, proper food consumption, and headwear this has allowed me to sleep (on the ground) down to -35C. Thats a pretty good stretch from the ratings of either unit alone.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Do you need a full sock?
    I am thinkng of making a "half" sock by hangind a driduck poncho from the hammock ridgeline. Shouldnt the UQ and the tarp protect from wind?
    i would think the full sock will hold in more heat... but what your looking to do should work just as good
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast