View Poll Results: Would you be willing to help with directions sticky/good ideal?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would be willing to help, it sounds like a good idea.

3 50.00%
  • Yes I think it is a good ideal, but I can't be bothered.

0 0%
  • I think you all should just figure it out for yourselves.

1 16.67%
  • Other - See post below for my reason/details.

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Claytor Instruction Manual-Stick

Neo BillyBob...others

Hey guys I have noticed a lot of newcomers to the claytors have questions & troubles setting up when we unpack. Esp. people who are buying their first ever hammock, and have you all to thank for choosing such a good one.

I posted this to poll you all if it would be feasible to make a page long setup/begineer's FAQ to all the claytor hammocks, and get a mod to make it a sticky.

I'd be willing to help, but I don't have a lot of experience.
    Last edited by Knowledgeengine; 04-20-2008 at 03:22.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I'd be willing to share the Claytor Mods that I am currently working on...but have very little experience with the factory set up short of knowing the webbing sucks up water like a sponge.
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Id be willing to give direction on how I
    a) ditched the crappy straps in place for 1" webbing
    b) sewed on loops to said webbing for a structural ridgeline
    c) added glove hooks on bungee for the netting (to clip up on ridge)
    d) used JrB tri-glides on the tree side.

the nicest thing so far is the webbing loops where the ridgeline attaches is also exactly as long as the MacCat so it becomes a semi-permanent attachment point for the tarp. Gives just a nice, taught pitch across the tarp ridgeline.
    I should be posted a few choice pics of my upcoming 3 day by next week

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    The explanation of how to hang the hammock on Tom's site is as simple as it gets -- bowline in one end of webbing, free end of webbing around tree, free end through bowline, pull as tight as desired, slippery half hitch, half hitch. Of course, no one who uses one long retains the stock webbing. But we have several articles on suspension modification in the Support Systems section of the forum.
    Last edited by Hector; 04-20-2008 at 09:37.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If the Claytor owners wanted to put together a FAQ / set up tutorial along with mods for the Claytor, I will sticky it in the Claytor forum. Just make sure it's detailed and comprehensive.

I have never owned or used a Claytor but I will be of little to no help.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    As I make my mods to my Claytor No Net...I'll take plenty of photos and post them along with any specific info that is required for such mod. All the mods I am working on require no sewing...mainly because I dont have a machine...lol...
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

I would like to see more info on what you have done. Especially the loops/ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    Id be willing to give direction on how I
    a) ditched the crappy straps in place for 1" webbing
    b) sewed on loops to said webbing for a structural ridgeline
    c) added glove hooks on bungee for the netting (to clip up on ridge)
    d) used JrB tri-glides on the tree side.

the nicest thing so far is the webbing loops where the ridgeline attaches is also exactly as long as the MacCat so it becomes a semi-permanent attachment point for the tarp. Gives just a nice, taught pitch across the tarp ridgeline.
    I should be posted a few choice pics of my upcoming 3 day by next week

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    ok... its hanging right now in my yard with the maccat micro. i re-adjusted the ridgeline so I have more sag...i think using the micro this high is going to provide minimal coverage, i'll make a larger 8x10 rectangle tarp later in the year when we expect some rain. for now, this should work. I added another set of webbing loops to lower the overall ridgeline cord, and to make a little more sag in the hammock body. so now there are 2 sets of loops, one for the tarp and another for the spectra cord.
    this shot shows the tarp and D-ring sewn into a webbing loop, bar tacked to the main support webbing.

this pic shows the underside, and the minimal coverage this little tarp provides. best for blocking falling pinecones, dew or bird bombs. not great for pouring rain as you might cringe to imagine!

and finally a side view:

side view with tarp open to see the ridgeline (spectra cord)

I cut the flat side of the D-ring with dikes so it is removable should I not need it. The loops are just 4" pieces of webbing sewn to the main support webbing w/ a bar tack on either side. The ridgeline loops are sewn 1 foot to the inside of the loops that hold the tarp. unfortunatley, the mesh prevents me from hanging anything inside, so i have to reach around the mesh to grab whatever i might hang up on the spectra cord. not a huge issue, unless you have swarms of bugs. the nicest thing Ive found about this set-up is when I pitch it I'll pull the straps until the tarp is taught, then Im done. Sag never changes.
    Last edited by te-wa; 04-20-2008 at 15:19. Reason: add photo

It looks good but I have a few questions for you.

How do you adjust the sag? Just by adjusting the length of the ridge line itself? Also with the way it is set up how does it keep from putting too much tension on the tarp? It looks like once you got in the hammock and put weight on it that it would cause the tarp to pull tighter also.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    ok... its hanging right now in my yard with the maccat micro. i re-adjusted the ridgeline so I have more sag...i think using the micro this high is going to provide minimal coverage, i'll make a larger 8x10 rectangle tarp later in the year when we expect some rain. for now, this should work. I added another set of webbing loops to lower the overall ridgeline cord, and to make a little more sag in the hammock body. so now there are 2 sets of loops, one for the tarp and another for the spectra cord.
    this shot shows the tarp and D-ring sewn into a webbing loop, bar tacked to the main support webbing.

Thanks,
    Chadd

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    great questions Chadd, as you can see in the third pic, the straps are at a (basically) level plane along the length from tree to ridgeline. the tarp is just taught, not tight. lying in the hammock may add a bit of tension to the tarp but the webbing also stretches a bit too... maybe an inch or so? not scientific measurement just a guess. and yes, the length of your ridgeline cord determines your sag. i have a moderate amount of sag that allows me to lay on a diagonal. for reference, im a short dude at 5'6".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast