GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie n' Huggers

IX or Down?

Ok- on to the next issue... well tarp is really the next issue, but DIY with sil and mineral spirits are a bit daunting... so UQ seems a bit more doable at the moment.
    So... IX or Down? I'm sure there are benefits for both, but in terms of ease of making, ease of packing, ease of use, which of the two are the best? Loaded question I know.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Seems it depends. DIY Gear Supply has their sheet on a DIY IX UQ that looks very straightforward (one of my current projects for the colder weather).

However, i will also be looking to do a sewn through down TQ (not a UQ but a similar design could not be far from the same process) and it seems relatively straight forward as well and less complicated than a baffled down UQ.

As for the pros and cons for each - there are numerous threads and discussions on the topic here so you're lucky!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I made a double layer IX top quilt and found that it is warm enough down to 60 degrees.
    I sewed ribs in it about every 3" to keep the two layers separate. This part is psychological, but it doen't give that cozy, snuggly feeling either.

An under quilt may be a different story since gravity is working for you to keep the layers separated. On a windy night, I would think that an IX underquilt would be more subseptible to having its warmth blow away due to a billows action. But, I have no personal experience with that.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    down is the safer bet...harder to make, but predictible and proven.
    my $.02
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts