Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I have been using the no sew poncho liner uq since I started out. Some changes that I made that helped a lot were to make triangle thingies out of cord with knots, I also sewed loops on the four corners of the PLUQ to attach to the triangle thingies. This really changed the PLUQ suspension to what it needed to be. I used shock cord with a lock cord for adjust-ability.

For the Grayson Highlands Hang that I went on, I pinned a down throw on the PLUQ (between the hammock and the PLUQ, not between the PLUQ folds). This brought the down throw up against me and I was warm and toasty. Last but not least, I added a hammock sock which was the bomb. I am now a firm believer in the sock

This is the time of year when those down throws usually pop up at all the stores and go on sale. I've been wondering what two throws put together would get me down to and then I could do away with the PLUQ entirely since the throws pack so much smaller and are so much lighter than the poncho liner. However; I can attest that the down throws work great paired with the PLUQ to help get you down in temps. (then add that sock, and wow)

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    FL, good stuff and thanks for that vid. Like zukiguy, I too am inspired to try this UQ this upcoming weekend at MAHHA.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Rather than run a loop of shock cord for each corner of the suspension I'll just use a straight piece. The shock cord I have is a bit bigger (maybe 3/16") so I think it will be strong enough to use just one strand.
    I'm thinking the same thing here zuki (I think). One continuous piece a la hammockgear quilts. I'll also add a hole along with a cord lock in the center of the foot and head ends. I saw someone do this on their DIY UQ and it alleviated the issue with bunching up and creating air gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    This will be a trial run and hopefully done kind of on the cheap. This will be my loaner or car camping UQ. I'll keep the downy goodness of my Te-wa for the trail.
    As an owner of a Te-Wa UQ, I feel the same way .
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I have been using the no sew poncho liner uq since I started out. Some changes that I made that helped a lot were to make triangle thingies out of cord with knots, I also sewed loops on the four corners of the PLUQ to attach to the triangle thingies. This really changed the PLUQ suspension to what it needed to be. I used shock cord with a lock cord for adjust-ability.

For the Grayson Highlands Hang that I went on, I pinned a down throw on the PLUQ (between the hammock and the PLUQ, not between the PLUQ folds). This brought the down throw up against me and I was warm and toasty. Last but not least, I added a hammock sock which was the bomb. I am now a firm believer in the sock

This is the time of year when those down throws usually pop up at all the stores and go on sale. I've been wondering what two throws put together would get me down to and then I could do away with the PLUQ entirely since the throws pack so much smaller and are so much lighter than the poncho liner. However; I can attest that the down throws work great paired with the PLUQ to help get you down in temps. (then add that sock, and wow)
    Thanks for the ideas, DivaB! Would you mind posting a photo (or directing me to one, if you've already done so) of the triangle thingies? I've got an idea of what they look like, but I'd like to see how you did it out of cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    FL, good stuff and thanks for that vid. Like zukiguy, I too am inspired to try this UQ this upcoming weekend at MAHHA.
    Thanks! I hope it works out for you.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Where: My front yard.
    When: Last night.
    Conditions: Low of 50 degrees F, 10 to 15 mph winds, shifting from all directions.
    Top Insulation: PLTQ (Poncho Liner Top Quilt).
    Supplementary Insulation: Throw pillow from couch, poly/cotton baseball cap, lightweight cotton t-shirt, lightweight cotton shorts, and cotton boxer shorts.

I found that I was cold most of the night, due to air gaps caused by improper suspension.

My solution: add Prusik loops to the Hennessy's ridgeline to attach the PLUQ suspension 'biners closer to the center, bringing the suspension more up and less out.

A short video on what I did:

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

New Suspension Update

Where: My front yard.
    When: Approximately 02:00 to 07:00.
    Conditions: Beginning temperature of 45 F dropping to 41 F overnight. No wind.

All other conditions were the same as Wednesday night. The suspension worked wonderfully! I think I've found the lower edge of this insulation's comfort zone; I was cool--not cold, but cool--all night without being uncomfortable. I was a little more chilly than is truly comfortable for me when I woke about an half-hour ago. Which makes sense, since poncho liners have always done down to about forty degrees for me on the ground just fine.

I think that with a space blanket, some long underwear, a fleece, a better hat, some socks, and perhaps a hot water bottle, I'll be fine down to freezing as far as sleep goes. Proper tarp use and perhaps slinging my poncho around the PLUQ should work just fine to block wind in those conditions, should it become necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12