Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doody View Post
    If you already enlisted, are you in the delayed entry program or whatever they call it these days. If so, have you talked to your recruiter about just shipping out earlier. Slots come open regularly from people getting bounced for medical, legal, or personal problems.
    Yes I am in the delayed entry program. And yes I have talked to my recruiter about shipping early. Right now my ship out date is next May, but the station commander says he can get me out within the next few months. It's just a big waiting game right now.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    That idea of how indispensable you are is pretty flawed IMHO. I can type a LONG story about how indispensable you really are. See, it doesn't matter this day and age how well you're liked, how good you do your job or even how good of a team player you are. These are all petty BS that some guy authoring a spreadsheet came up with to "boost morale" which really doesn't exist anymore to make someone think they know how to feel their worth. Don't let yourself get caught in that trap - the longer things stay the same, the more they need to change.

I agree with many here - what you're up to is risky in terms of hanging on employer's property....The drive may not seem worth it, but you may be MUCH better off to drive a little out of town, away from your employers place, to an area deemed safer, etc.. The money you'll be saving without a rental obligation will more than justify a little extra fuel expense to lower your risk of problems with your employer, which with it being tied to a future goal it seems it would be worth the extra effort IMHO. Really, if you're in at 5am you shouldn't have THAT much of a traffic problem with a bit of an additional drive.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I know you think we are being hard a**es about this, but it seems we are thinking this through whereas you might not be putting that much thought into it, hence the post. And yes I am sure everyone is just trying to help guide you with their personal experiences.

I know you are insisting you are 'indespensible', but that's a dangerous attitude to take, especially in this economy. Trust me, businesses always operate under the condition that you may not show up tomorrow, be it firing, freak bus accident, wild hair, etc. The minute you start acting like you are indespensible, you will be shown how quickly you can be replaced. Unless your Dad owns this company, you are only as 'golden' as you think you are.

Mentioning that this is a 24 hour facility tosses up more flags for me than it eases the situation. That means there is always the opportunity for someone to go take a walk, spot something suspicious, and next thing you know you are explaining yourself to law enforcement and your boss who was sound asleep. And having a car full of your belongings, and a prior history everyone knows about doesn't lend credence to your story of testing out your gear. It might sound plausible to you, and by all means feel free to give it a try, but while forgiveness might be easier than permission, you won't score any points by making up some story and then getting caught in a lie.

It's your life, do as you please, but prepare yourself to face the consequences if any come up from this. Do you not have any friends you could hang at their place?
    I don't think you guys are being hard arses. I understand all your concerns and I appreciate it, I really do. I'm not saying that i'm indispensable. Any joe-schmoe could do what I do after a month of training. But I've been doing it for three years and I am one of the best at troubleshooting the problems that arise. Which is something that new people aren't any good at. Add that to the fact that we're short staffed as is. My supervisor has been begging them to hire two new workers for our department for over a year.

Our property is fenced off and has a security gate to even drive onto it. There is no reason the police would be called. We have our own security personnel, all of whom know me. If someone were to see me they'd probably come up and talk to me themselves. If they thought it was suspicious they might call security (which is improbable as it's pretty laid back around here). Even then security would come over, see that i'm an employee, and I doubt that they would even ask me to take the hammock down. If security bumped it up the ladder, I may end up with a sit down with my manager, who would nicely ask me not to hang on the property, because of the "perception" it gives.

I really do appreciate the concern, Thanks for it. It's the fact that so many care that makes me love the HF community. I really have no worry of losing my job or having the police called on me. My biggest concern is what i'm going to do if I get told that I can't hang my hammock here anymore. I shared this post with my supervisor and he too didn't have any concern about it either.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Okay folks...this conversation has gone about as far from hammocks as it can.

Lets either talk about the hammocking aspect of SC's adventure or let it go.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    So, I imagine you set up and tear down each day. Have you learned or adjusted much with your hammock in doing this? It seems each time I go out I learn a little more.

Do you use the same 2 trees? If so, any sign of wear from the straps? I've stayed in one place for 2 nights without any sign of wear on the tree. Never stayed longer though, so curious about that.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    So, I imagine you set up and tear down each day. Have you learned or adjusted much with your hammock in doing this? It seems each time I go out I learn a little more.

Do you use the same 2 trees? If so, any sign of wear from the straps? I've stayed in one place for 2 nights without any sign of wear on the tree. Never stayed longer though, so curious about that.
    I learned that the father the trees are apart the higher you need to go to get the 30* mark. The trees are about 20ft or more apart and i have to hang about as high as I can reach.

Friday was also the first time I spent an overnight with the UQ. I learned that you really have to get it snug against the hammock. Even with the sleeping bag my feet got cold past the point of the UQ. So i think i'm going to go get a bit of pad and/or some merino wool socks to sleep in. I found myself cross in legs ala "indian style" so my feet were on the UQ.

So far I only slept there Friday. Saturday I slept on a friends couch after a late party. Last night I spent the night at my gf's since i'd already driven up there for dinner and laundry. So tonight will be my second night. I'll let you know if I find any wear on the trees. I plan to use the the same at least one of the same tree but I may hang the opposite way on it with another tree. There are about five in the line that are all evenly spaced.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    OK people listen up...there is no chance of me getting fired. Period. Case closed. Not gonna happen.
    Don't let yourself believe that for a moment; regardless of the employer or situation. That's all.

Stealth needs to be your constant waking thought when you are in camp. I know firsthand that it is possible to conceal yourself in a high density area, but it takes constant vigilance. A secret should stay exactly that; a secret. Don't let any of your co-workers know, even the ones you believe can be trusted. No way I would be posting this in a public forum, but to each their own. Also, try to avoid setting-up in the same place more than a couple of nights in a row. Tracks don't take all that long to form and I promise you they will be evident come the end of the year if you keep walking the same path. What are you going to do when/if it snows? Your tracks will be obvious and curious to a snoopy person.

A heavy tarp might be a good investment. Something that will block as much light as possible. I assume you'll want to cook something from time to time, or maybe entertain yourself or make a phone call with your phone. It's amazing how far light can travel on a dark night, so having something heavy to block much of that light would be good. Stay very, very mobile. Again, a often used camp is not a difficult thing to find, even with excellent LNT practices.

As the great and amazing Jimi would ask..are you experienced? Meaning, have you camped through the weather and temps you are planning here? Anybody can suffer through a night or two of misery in camp. Are you prepared and capable of doing that for weeks...months? It's a fair question. Gonna be a tough thing to go from that cozy guest room at your GF's parent's house to a hostile wind and rain soaked hillside come Monday evening. It's like hotels/hostels when the weather is bad; nobody wants to go back on the trail. I guess you are about to find out, just be prepared mentally.

Of course, be absolutely sure you can't be seen. You can really only do that by setting up and walking where people walk while keeping a keen eye for where your selected site is located. You should do this for every camp. Takes one bored and observant somebody to ruin your fun.

I will admit, it does sound like a bit of fun. I've never been one to give authority so much respect as that it takes away from my right to live free. If I'm causing no harm to another, I just don't see it as their business. I'm wrong, or course, but that's the way it is. I wish you good luck and safe sleeping. But, please, cover your six. With the way things are these days, squatting laws are being enforced with a heavy-hand. Just know that and take steps accordingly.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Okay folks...this conversation has gone about as far from hammocks as it can.

Lets either talk about the hammocking aspect of SC's adventure or let it go.
    Agreed entirely. Lock thread or remove.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    What are you going to do when/if it snows? Your tracks will be obvious and curious to a snoopy person.
    We don't have to worry too much about snow in Georgia. If on the off chance it does snow, no one goes to work for 3 days.
    less is more

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    Haha yes, the towns are not equipped for it here. A couple inches of snow locks everyone indoors for half a week!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast