Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Homeless Hanging at work

My lease ended yesterday and since all my roommates skipped out early there was no way I could renew. I was looking into apartments but decided I didn't want to pay application and admin fees, security deposits, and really don't even wanna pay rent and utilities. I noticed their is a line of trees at work, in the back next to the truck garage. It's on a slope and rather hidden. So I decided I'm camping out for the rest of the year. Living out of my car and sleeping in my hammock. There is a shower in one of the restrooms upstairs and I can do laundry at my gf's house. She lives with her parents, a 40 minute drive from work, so I can't stay with them, except on my off days. But then I have to sleep in the guest room even though we're in our mid twenties.

Last night was my first night, and other than my feet getting a bit cold, it went well. I'll keep y'all updated on my adventure.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF
    I've thought about living out of a hammock. It sounds pretty cool, and it sure is cheaper than paying pesky rent! Keep us updated on how it goes.
    less is more

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Good luck to ya SC..............just make sure that atleast one of the managers knows what you are doing. Not sure but I think they can have you thrown off the property for trespassing or what used to be refered to as "squatting"!!!!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Exup say do it! Haha. As long as you can get away with it safely and you're not miserable, why not? Save some money.

I was "homeless for about 4 months. Often stayed at friends or in my car. I was 17 and to young to get an apartment. There were times I just walked around all night, to scared to sleep in a park or on a bench, haha. It was not fun while it was happening, but looking back it was awesome. I saved a lot of money and got a good start. Got my first apartment the day I turned 18 and at 19 bought my house. If I knew about hammocks back then it would have been much easier, haha.

You should look into those tiny houses people are building.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    You are about to experience true freedom. Well, for the most part, you do still have a job working for "the man" but at least you aren't sinking that income back in the pockets of "another man": that is slavery despite the comforts & security of it.

IDK about GA, but in IN you must be warned once evry 2 years, verbally, buy a law enforcement officer before he can arrest you for criminal tresspass (D Felony). Posted signs & warnings by property owners are irrelevant, in my state at least. That being said, it may be different in your state and having written permission from a property owner is always a good idea.

Enjoy it sir, this maybe the last taste of it you get for a very very long time.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronAlso View Post
    Enjoy it sir, this maybe the last taste of it you get for a very very long time.
    HAHA you're telling me. I joined the Marine Corps last month and ship to Paris Island in a few months.

As far as police, I don't have to worry. Our parking lot is fenced off and you have to go through the security gate with a parking decal. In the back where I'm hanging there are woods 100 yards to my rear and 200 yards to the right, on the other side of storage units which are 10 feet from me. The truck garage is 20 feet to my left but I'm on the side of it and the main parking lot stops about 100 yards before where I'm hanging. It's pretty concealed. I clock in at 5am so I'll be up and have the hammock down well before anyone starts showing up at 8.

I work for a largish company. About 300 or more employees and it's gotten rather corporate in the last year since we got bought by another company. I don't think they would be cool with it. So I'm not telling anyone and going with the "easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission"
    frame of mind. If i get caught I'll just act like I'm testing my gear and not actually living at work. But I don't see it being a problem, as like I said I'm only there from 10pm to 430am in an area with no traffic and rather concealed.
    Last edited by SpaceCadet; 10-01-2011 at 10:24.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Very cool! Enjoy your adventure!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    HAHA you're telling me. I joined the Marine Corps last month and ship to Paris Island in a few months.
    I spent 21 years in the Corps. Enjoy the hammock. You won't get that comfort at Paris Island!

Seriously, enjoy the freedom now and when ever you can in the future!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your boss/owner is cool with it, go for it. Ask if you can hang indoors and get paid for "night security" duties.

The law is not on your side tho. Residing/living in a area zoned for business is illegal.The police will inform you and your boss (perhaps with a 3am wake up call, which may anger the boss and get you fired). At least get his blessings before sleeping on his property.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS
    heh heh - good luck with your stealth hang, and welcome to the service!
    The problem with making something fool-proof, is that it tends to make better fools.
    There are two types of folks in this world - those who can learn from others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence themselves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast