Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF

What's with Whoopies?

It seems that the most popular method of suspension is Whoopie slings. From what I can tell, the real strengths of the Whoopies is the ease of setup and adjustment. They are also lighter weight than many stock suspension systems, but could they be lighter?

I think that a real gram weenie might be able to shave off several ounces by just lashing a single amsteel support directly to the webbing straps, like the HH method. My reasoning is that the length of amsteel needed would be shorter, there is no toggle needed, and the webbing straps could be considerably shorter than 6 feet for each side (of course depending of the average tree size in your area).

Many people prefer the ease of setup that the Whoopies provide, but if weight were a bigger priority (if one were trying to go ultralight with a hammock) would this be a good option? What do you all think?
    less is more

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    You ever seen The all in one systems ? You could even cut down the size of the tree strap or make you own allin one and you'll have easy lightweight effective system. Jacks r better has one whoopieslings.com has one. I think arrowhead equip. Has one. Not sure about that last one but check it out. There's a million places to get a suspension and whoopies arenot for everyone. Maybe a cinch buckle is your thing.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by just hangin' out View Post
    It seems that the most popular method of suspension is Whoopie slings. From what I can tell, the real strengths of the Whoopies is the ease of setup and adjustment. They are also lighter weight than many stock suspension systems, but could they be lighter?

I think that a real gram weenie might be able to shave off several ounces by just lashing a single amsteel support directly to the webbing straps, like the HH method. My reasoning is that the length of amsteel needed would be shorter, there is no toggle needed, and the webbing straps could be considerably shorter than 6 feet for each side (of course depending of the average tree size in your area).

Many people prefer the ease of setup that the Whoopies provide, but if weight were a bigger priority (if one were trying to go ultralight with a hammock) would this be a good option? What do you all think?
    The straps only need to be slightly longer than you think the trees will be thick. So most people who backpack around the Appalachians get away with using 4' straps. Also, whoopies can be made by lighter material than amsteel (dynaglide), and are adjustable, where as one single length of amsteel is not. That's a big limitation right there.

You can also use evenly spaced small sticks (8-10) as a spacer between the whoopie and the tree and not even bring straps.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF
    Is there anywhere to find regular 2mm dynaglide at lengths less than 150 feet? Maybe like 50 feet.

I will have to try the spacer sticks and see how I like it. Thanks for the ideas!
    less is more

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Actually for simple ease of use ... I like and prefer a set of Arrowhead light weight straps and buckles with of course a Dutch clip! But I use Whoopie's and straps cause their fun to use and fun to say ... little more fiddling around till you figure them out but they work great. But I do find myself going back to straps only from time to time!

Spacer sticks ... nawh ... to much fiddle factor ... and if you find you have to move the whoopie location up ... really gets complicated. Give it a try ... you'll also find that the whoopie doesn't "bite" into and stay on the spacer sticks like it would on the bark ... and you don't want to use it directly on the tree ... ever ... so not for me. Just get some of the Arrowhead straps ... they weigh nothing to amount to anything.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by just hangin' out View Post
    Is there anywhere to find regular 2mm dynaglide at lengths less than 150 feet? Maybe like 50 feet.
    Paul at Arrowhead Equipment sells it in 25 foot lengths.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

• + New Posts