Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Super shelter condensation issues

Hey Everyone!

I hear of condensation issues with the space blanket used in the supershelter. I have been thinking about it, and will be going on a 2 night trip into the Algonquin park area 15-16 October and should be reaching 0 degrees celcius.

My thought has been to avoid the condensation issue (or lessen it!!) I have taken my space blanket and punched a series of holes in it to allow the moisture to have a chance to escape, and still get some of the reflected heat from the space blanket. Has any one been doing this ,or is there going to be too much lose of heat??? any thoughts??

Thanks for your input!!!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    You will still have traces of condensation, you really can't avoid it. It was never that bad for me but I did wake with tiny traces of ice crystals on nights at or below freezing. I never had a issue with saturation to the material and if there was a dampness issue I just left the hammock hanging and sb while I packed or ate.

Enjoy the trip
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ARH8792 View Post
    Hey Everyone!

I hear of condensation issues with the space blanket used in the supershelter. I have been thinking about it, and will be going on a 2 night trip into the Algonquin park area 15-16 October and should be reaching 0 degrees celcius.

My thought has been to avoid the condensation issue (or lessen it!!) I have taken my space blanket and punched a series of holes in it to allow the moisture to have a chance to escape, and still get some of the reflected heat from the space blanket. Has any one been doing this ,or is there going to be too much lose of heat??? any thoughts??

Thanks for your input!!!
    So then, do you already have an HH and SS that you are planning on using?

People seem to vary greatly with SS condensation problems. But in my experience- again YMMV - condensation problems are MUCH increased unless I use the space blanket as recommended by HH. So far, after ~ 5 years of on and off use( I also use down/Climashield UQs and Pea Pods and very rarely pads), the worst I have ever had using the space blanket is a few small drops under the hammock on the space blanket. And that may have been sweat more so than condensation. But the one time I did have significant condensation issues was also one of the very few times I did not use the space blanket.

Theoretically at least, the space blanket- being right against your hammock - will be "warm". Condensation happens when vapor contacts a cold surface and condenses from vapor to liquid. All of which is of course a different matter from being too hot and sweating.

I would not put any holes in the space blanket. Though I guess you already have? Oh well, a SB only costs a couple of bucks so I guess you can try it both ways. If you do manage to overheat and sweat, the sb also works as a water proof vapor barrier to keep that sweat out of your under insulation(HH pad and whatever else you put down there). Even if you don't sweat, if body vapor passes through the holes you have added, it will just condense when it hits the cold SS sil-nylon under cover, soaking you insulation.

Then again, who knows, people vary. But I would at least try it first just following the manufacturers recommendations. Top to bottom: hammock, SB, insulation, HH under cover.

I was recently a bit nervous when I lent one of my Explorer sized HHSSs to my friend's son to use on his smaller HH Expedition on our recent Sawtooth trip. With lows in the low 30s to high 40s, he was warm and dry every night. We checked for condensation on the sb and in the UC every morning- zero problems. So it worked (as it always has for me) once again. But some folks do have major problems with it, so who knows.

thanks for your replies!

I do have a HH with the supershelter, I have used it without the space blanket and have been happy with the warmth, I haven't used the space blanket as the temps were not that cold. I figured that if I was hitting the 0 degree range I would be needing the space blanket! I agree with your point and will scrap the hole idea! I haven't been able to test it in those temps yet were only getting down to the 5-8 degree celcius here in Ontario, but in a couple weeks we will be there!

Thanks for your replies!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ARH8792 View Post
    thanks for your replies!

I do have a HH with the supershelter, I have used it without the space blanket and have been happy with the warmth, I haven't used the space blanket as the temps were not that cold. I figured that if I was even hitting the 0 degree range I would be needing the space blanket! I agree with your point and will scrap the hole idea! I haven't been able to test it in those temps yet were only getting down to the 5-8 degree celcius here in Ontario, but in a couple weeks we will be there!

Thanks for your replies!
    Maybe you can join the lucky group and it will work great for you at the somewhat colder temps! Several have been able to go to about freezing or a bit below, and a few others a good bit colder than that, before even starting to add insulation to the UC. Let us know how it works for you!

I'm surprised, if you have been below 50F ( 10C?), that you have not yet had at least some condensation without a sb. But good for you if you have not!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-03-2011 at 15:55.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Maybe you can join the lucky group and it will work great for you at the somewhat colder temps! Several have been able to go to about freezing or a bit below, and a few others a good bit colder than that, before even starting to add insulation to the UC. Let us know how it works for you!

I'm surprised, if you have been below 50F ( 10C?), that you have not yet had at least some condensation without a sb. But good for you if you have not!
    I was thinking that the SB would make it worse, I am not gonna lie I haven't used the SS all that much!!! I really want to use the hammock on my trip because it will be the last chance untill the spring!! I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks!!!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Look at the sources for condensation. It's perspiration or exhalation. Perspiration is the only part the space blanket directly effects. If one is sleeping too warm then peel back part of the SB. If condensation is forming on the top cover roll one edge under a couple of inches to increase the air flow through the vent hole. If you roll up the edge near your face you get a window to look out of and push a lot of moisture out as you breathe if you are a side sleeper.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm one of the people who've often had condensation problems with the SS. Generally there is less condensation if you put the space blanket between the hammock and the SS's OCF pad. The idea being that the space blanket is then close to your body, so it's warm, so condensation doesn't form. The space blanket prevents the moisture that's leaving your body from going down into the SS system where the silnylon undercover traps it. That humid air will condense in there somewhere. Fortunately the OCF pad can be squeezed out in the morning and the inside of the undercover can be wiped dry, so it's not as problematic as when down gets wet.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I'm one of the people who've often had condensation problems with the SS. Generally there is less condensation if you put the space blanket between the hammock and the SS's OCF pad. The idea being that the space blanket is then close to your body, so it's warm, so condensation doesn't form. The space blanket prevents the moisture that's leaving your body from going down into the SS system where the silnylon undercover traps it. That humid air will condense in there somewhere. Fortunately the OCF pad can be squeezed out in the morning and the inside of the undercover can be wiped dry, so it's not as problematic as when down gets wet.
    I agree that it is not as problematic, either with condensation or if external moisture gets things wet. I mean, I don't want it to happen, but it could be worse. The one time I ( without the sb) got the foot of the pad soaked from condensation- and the foot of my Polarguard bag also, I did not even squeeze it out. I just packed up. By the end of the day, both were quite dry.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    OT. BB58, this is the subject where you and I cross paths most often on the forum. Hope that someday if you're ever in, or near, NJ you'll look me up so our paths can cross in real life.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast