Insulation for Spring weather?

I'm planing an AT thru-hike beginning next March. I just bought a hennessey ultra-lite asym hammock and love it. My next step is to decide on insulation and I'm not sure what to do. I want something that is light weight and will keep me warm when I use a 15 degree bag. I've looked at the Hennessey Supershelter 4 Season Insulation System and I'm wondering which parts I would need and which I could do without (underpad, undercover, overcover, reflector sheet). I cannot afford an underquilt. Any suggestions?

Images
    The AT in March and April can be quite cold, to include snow. You'll hit the Smokies at high elevation and can see temps still in the 'teens or lower.

You would need all components of the bottom super shelter. The outer cover is a good windbreak and protects the OCF (Open Cell Foam) pad from the elements. The space blanket really adds the warmth and is key for temps around 30F or lower.

The top part would be a choice, but I can't answer as I've not used it. I used my SS at 24F just fine with out the top cover. I had a good tarp with doors to block the wind though.

As a note, I had to many condensation issues with the OCF pad. I was about to change it with a CCF (closed cell foam) pad from Jacks R Better, when I gave up and went to a nice down UQ. SS's are hit and miss, love and hate. UQ's are nothing but love - IMO anyway.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

What do you have now?

Do you have anything you use like an air mattress? I started my AT thru in April 2004 with a 3lb air mattress. (Ya, big mistake)

It was cold, wet & foggy until end of May. In the end I was using a 1 lbs air mattress. In 2005, I left early March & went with a JRB Nest. World of difference.
    With a low budget, I would go with a GG CCG Pad. Light, & maybe $20. Add a space blanket. On those super cold nights you can either go to ground or squeeze in a shelter.

I wouldn't drop $100 on a HH SS. I would save an extra $100 and get a 20f 3/4 UQ. Or look on the Forum here to see if someone is selling.

A lot really depends also on if your UL & your age.

So if I were to choose an underquilt as it seems the easiest and warmest option (though not cheapest), what is a good one for the hennessey ultralite asym backpacker? I've been looking online but I'm not sure what will work for this hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkaluzi View Post
    So if I were to choose an underquilt as it seems the easiest and warmest option (though not cheapest), what is a good one for the hennessey ultralite asym backpacker? I've been looking online but I'm not sure what will work for this hammock.
    All of the vendors UQ's on this site will work. Even if you have the bottom entry, as the UQ's are usually suspended with shock cord and can be pulled out of the way and snaps back in place once you are in the hammock.

Most prefer a down UQ, like hammockgear.com or warbonnet sells. I've also had great success with double layer IX, but only down to 40F. Paul, at arrowhead equipment, sells UQ's especially designed for the HH. They are synthetic, and take up more pack room, but work just as well. He also sells a down UQ, the Flamethrower, which I think I'm about to pick up one of. The bright red may be of help come this hunting season when I'm off in the back country!!

The choice is yours! Any will do fine. For an AT March start, if you go with an UQ rated above 30F, bring a pad too for extra warmth when needed. You could probably save $$ by picking up a 40F UQ and a walmart pad. That ought to do you the entire hike, weather wise.

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware

Learn some options as well

Learn some options as well. Somewhere along the line your going to want to lighten your load. People will tell you to wait till Harpers Ferry, or after Damascus and so on. Of course, in 2005 I listened to myself, which wasn't much better. However, by my 2nd year out, I knew what to do & slept just as good without the UQ. It just takes a lot more work.

I kept a large black plastic bag with me which I used as a pack liner. I dumped my winter gear after Damascus and the 2nd night it dropped down to mid 30's. I found a spot which blocked the wind, filled the bag with dead leaves and with a poncho put it on the bottom of the hammock. I ate a large meal, and slept all night.

I'm still learning, relearning a lot of things. However, it's better than most who hit the trail with a hammock and have only set it up a few times.

• + New Posts