DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by chillyswimr View Post
    I can't seem to cinch the bottom hole any tighter than leaving a 5" or so opening due to the fabric getting bound up in the elastic -- plenty of space for Algonquin park mosquitoes to come up the hole and eat me alive, as per my experience the last 4 nights.

What can you do to close it completely. Chip clip maybe? Or maybe take the elastic cord a full turn rather than just a bight?
    I shortened mine about a foot, so when I lay in the hammock, my body weight seals the hole in the shock cord opening of the bug net underneath me. I reinforced the 'fixed' opening that my suspension goes through with grosgrain, and also added a foot of velcro to the other end, making it easy to move the net into place or remove it when it's not needed.

Hammock
    tableclothsfactory.com
    Tarp
    DIY square
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Thanks for the ideas.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double and Haven XL
    Tarp
    Some rando.
    Insulation
    Varies.
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    In regards to the top and sides, is everyone roll-hemming their edges or just simply running a single stitch line down the edges and turning the whole thing inside out? Straight stitch or zig zag? Any special seam needed for the ridge line?

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Here's a guide to explicit sewing details for bug-net construction. Very good pics.

https://store-bdkmv.mybigcommerce.co...-shelter-1-25/

Thanks to HF Member ???, in another thread here, for directing me to a page on another material YAMA also features

Hammock
    tableclothsfactory.com
    Tarp
    DIY square
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Here's a guide to explicit sewing details for bug-net construction. Very good pics.

https://store-bdkmv.mybigcommerce.co...-shelter-1-25/
    Great link, thanks for sharing.

I just made one of these and it's working great! I did a couple of mods just to help with durability. The parts where the ridgeline exits I reinforced with some extra ripstop that I used as accents on my hammock and did the same for the channel at the bottom where the shock cord goes. Turned out great and really easy!

DIY Hennessey Style Hammock

I am currently putting together a Hennessy style hammock according to the instructions put out by headchange4u. That design has two side tie-outs to help get the asymmetrical layout. Has anyone made this style of bug net work with side tie-outs? I am thinking I could sew a small opening for the cord to go through for the tie-out.

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial. It looks super easy and effective!

With this style bugnet it seems to me like if there was a tie out going through each side that it would be difficult to get out of because you couldn't just lift the netting up without having to work around the tieouts. If there was a zipper or velcro from the tieout hole to the bottom it might work. Not much experience here but that's my .02.

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskyhiking View Post
    I am currently putting together a Hennessy style hammock according to the instructions put out by headchange4u. That design has two side tie-outs to help get the asymmetrical layout. Has anyone made this style of bug net work with side tie-outs? I am thinking I could sew a small opening for the cord to go through for the tie-out.

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial. It looks super easy and effective!
    If you're going to make an opening for the tie-out to pass through I'd edge it with some grosgrain to provide tear resistance. Maybe attach the cord with a mini carabiner so you can unhook when you want to get out?

With this style bugnet it seems to me like if there was a tie out going through each side that it would be difficult to get out of because you couldn't just lift the netting up without having to work around the tieouts. If there was a zipper or velcro from the tieout hole to the bottom it might work. Not much experience here but that's my .02.
    I was thinking the same thing. I am just trying to avoid putting in a zipper. My thread injection skills are sub-par to say the least!

If you're going to make an opening for the tie-out to pass through I'd edge it with some grosgrain to provide tear resistance. Maybe attach the cord with a mini carabiner so you can unhook when you want to get out?
    I like the idea of the grosgrain. I have a plan but am not sure how well it will work. I am going to sew a small (1") square of grosgrain on both sides of the netting where the tie-out is. Then I am going to use a soldering iron to "drill" a small hole through the two layers of grosgrain and the netting that is sandwiched in between. This should sear the edges as well so it doesn't fray. Then, I will pass the 1/8" shock cord through the hole and tie it to a very small carabiner that will attach to the tie out loop. So the biner would be between the netting and the hammock with the shock cord going out the hole to the tie down stake. Should not need to be very strong and would allow me to easily unclib and get out of the hammock. If it works, I will post some pics.

Thanks for your ideas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast